Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:41 PM

hello people,

okay my problem: AAAGGGHHH :w00t: My minis gone strange. :w00t:

okay more detail, i was changing the fuel pipe on the carb. one of the little one. now then the pipe i got was slightly smaller so i had to heat the pipe up so i could push it on. i used hot water an a little WD40. stuck on the pipe and clips. repaced the DIRTY air filter (note: its been dirty for a while but its not caused problsm. well until now possable) and when for a spin,

my car now judders like crazy. when i accelerate it almost stalls or kinda cuts for a second then go's. so a start stoppy thing. it may just need more than a 2min run but ithink i'm breaking it so i didn't want to.

so what could it be. the air filter. a bit of water+wd40 in the carb. completly bugged?????

please help, i going to go cry now :cry:

#2 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

could be fuel starvation, or that you are runninglean because you are getting more air due to the clean air filter, or both

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

no my air to fuel mix is rich, due to the spark plugs are black (really need to fix that)

i will have to get an air filter and see what happens. also should have said this it only splutter and judders while driving. if i accelerte going down the road it judders but if i stay at a constant speed it's fine-ish

*edit*-

can i run without an air filter for like a quick min drive down the road??

#4 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

I would think that if you have put a smaller bore pipe on, the the fuel flow will less, leading to fuel starvation, leading to poor running.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:01 PM

okay, what the ID of the stuff thats meant to be there then. the stuff i have has an ID of about 4mm. it was the closes the shop had.

#6 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:01 PM

i think that is probally the problem i think the fuel pipe should be 6mm so the 4mm pipe is alot smaller 33% infact.

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:08 PM

hmm, okay. have to get more of that, also noticed something.

on my dash i three lights one's for high beams and two others. one next to the temp guage and one next to the fuel gauge.

now then as i was driving the one next to the fuel gauge kept flashing when the car judded. i around half a tank of fuel. so it's not saying my fuels low is it??

#8 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:14 PM

Is that the alternator light or oil light... i think its the alternator. It means there is a problem with the alternator or the car is stalling.

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:25 PM

oh f*ck.

could it possable be the battire. it's a rubbish one that my brother got from an idiot for a beer or two

*edit*

arrgh, thats it, there is no way all this stuff has happen in two days of not moving. i'll change the fuel pipes again then see what happens.

If that don't fit it. i 'm crushing the dam car into a cube. :w00t:

i am not a happy bunnie.

#10 PikeyMini

PikeyMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:40 PM

crush it?? bit violent aint it!

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:56 PM

The red light comes on if u stall

So it could be stalling and jump staring it self

If that don't fit it. i 'm crushing the dam car into a cube

Well if u don't wait it

I will have it for a run about so i can work on mine
And strip it for parts

#12 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

chill yer beans!! its a mini!! these things are always happeneing!! if you are quitting this early on in mini ownership, i would sell now if i were you!!! get yourself a nice reliable car, like a fiesTA :sick:

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Mine did somthing simalar when i changed the air filter (old one was back)

change the fuel pipe and if its still s**t

check

dashpot oil level and operation (free to move)

fueling, could be too ritch

points and timing

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:40 PM

Don't blame the car because you have fitted it with the wrong size fuel pipe, starved it of fuel and caused it to stutter meaning the revs drop so low momentarily that the warning lights come on. That's all your own doing. Put the right size fuel lines (1/4" = 6mm ish) on everywhere, tune it up and it will be fine.

This may sound harsh but if you don't know what the warning lights mean then you shouldn't be driving at all (and I mean that, it is part of the test to know at least something about the car). One is the no charge warning light which means that there is a fault with the charging system and you will soon stop moving, and the other is the low oil pressure warning which means that if you don't soon stop moving your engine will expire. Either of them basically mean get your car off the road before you cause an accident.

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

alright, i'll get the tube thingand relace that. but if i can fix this soon i'm cannceling my insurence and getting a sorn till i can fix it.

edit

i would also like to add, that it is a bit silly of me to want to crush my car into a cube this early. it because i have no money at the mo, and i didn't think one 10cm long bit of pipe would cause this sort of trouble

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users