#31 AstonMartin

AstonMartin

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local Club: vancouverminiclub.ca

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:01 AM

apparently its all the same except the engine mounts that are in a different place on one side, not a prob, only a tenner to get another

Hi, I am new to mini forum, i am a member of Turbominis. It is a great site. I am planning to purchase a wreck Golf TDI,and transferr all the mechanical components to the project mini, except it will be rwd.

The Golf TDI is drive by wire, via a electric cables, and the clutch is hydraulic so repositioning the engine can be easily done. Modern diesel engine is not as noise, dirty and heavy. For example 1.9 TDI has a cast iron block with aluminum heat and drop forged piston, it is very light weight, when compare to mini 998 engine which is all cast iron except the water pump housing, tranny. The original 998 weights hopping 330 lbs. If i compare both engines i think they might be the same weight or less for the diesel.

Personnally, i think FWD cars are not as good as rwd cars, I am not saying FWD are totally garbage. My next project is to build a RWD mini, but powered by TDI. TDI hp is 100 hp/ 177ft/lb of torque, is more than enough for the mini but of course this 1.9 TDI can be boost power up to 250hp / unknow torque figure.
250hp diesel engine is nuts, i mean every gear your head is push against the head rest, just like the Subaru STI. The design is as follow

1) Remove front engine/tranny, and remove interior seats, rear and quarter panel glass. Fuel Tank, lines...etc

2) Plasma cut or grind the rear speaker panel that located under the rear glass out completely

3) Cut out the rear seats side covers, (seat belt tensioner should be out already)

4) Cut out the bottom support for the rear seat and bent upward

5) Follow the cortour of the rear seat slowly cut out the back support metal in two step as it is a big chunk to carry out from the interior

6) The back of the seat should be out completely, that you can see the ground

7) Use a marker to mark the distance from the bottom of the front seat (on both side ) to back ward, to see how far should the engine sit.

8) Measure the center of the rear axis to ensure both output drive is the same as original

9) Position the TDI tranny , measure, how far the suspension can travel, now start building the rear chassis for mounting the engine, tranny,

10) Ensure there is clearance between the exhaust pipe and the rear bonnet, TDI turbochargers is located at the back of the engine, when looking from the front of the car.

11) I preferr Golf aftermarket suspension with ride height and damper

12) To be continue........

#32 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

crack on then.. i want to see this!

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

The Golf TDI is drive by wire, via a electric cables, and the clutch is hydraulic so repositioning the engine can be easily done. Modern diesel engine is not as noise, dirty and heavy. For example 1.9 TDI has a cast iron block with aluminum heat and drop forged piston, it is very light weight, when compare to mini 998 engine which is all cast iron except the water pump housing, tranny. The original 998 weights hopping 330 lbs. If i compare both engines i think they might be the same weight or less for the diesel.

Personally I'd be surprised if they were. The A series engine maybe all Iron, but its a pretty small engine to begin with. I believe the Honda Vtec (B16) is an all Alu engine, but because of the size of it, it weighs in at about 30-40kg more than the A-series.

#34 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

i've often thought about diesel powered mini's. Would a Nova or Corsa 1.5 td not fit the bill nice?

Small engine with decent power, and when the boost/fuel is adjusted, they fly.

#35 BoboGib

BoboGib

RoboGimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

i've often thought about diesel powered mini's. Would a Nova or Corsa 1.5 td not fit the bill nice?

i was just about to post this myself, plus with it being a vauxhall could you not buy a watson or allspeed subframe?? It should be an easy task to make the engine fit into it.

#36 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

great minds :-

#37 apbellamy

apbellamy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

Get all the corsa 1.5 isuzu bits and bob's and stick it to a cavalier 1.7 isuzu engine. 130bhp easily achievable...

#38 dekz2uk

dekz2uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred & Exhausted mini club

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

Get all the corsa 1.5 isuzu bits and bob's and stick it to a cavalier 1.7 isuzu engine. 130bhp easily achievable...

Hi peepz - sorry to crash your thread but I like all the ideas you've put forward. :wub: Will put to good use on my project "The Miesel" in the Vauxhall engine section - here's da link The Miesel

Keep the ideas/thoughts coming - you might see 'em happen. :genius:

#39 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

Whats with a Smart CDi engine?
It's smal but has lots of torque and a semi-automatic 6 speed gearbox.

And it's so little in dimensions...

Edited by Asphalt, 30 December 2008 - 03:45 PM.

#40 mcapachey

mcapachey

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

great minds :(

I was thinking along the same lines too, then I saw a mini magazine where a bloke had a LHD mini pickup with a Peugeot 1.5 non turbo diesel engine fitted. I also wanted to fit a diesel engine, even before I saw the magazine. I rang the company that did the conversion and asked them if they could fit a VW Polo 1.4tdi engine in for me......they said they had never done one before, so, could'nt do it. I figured that the VW engine would be great, but expensive to buy so, I researched for a cheap, but good engine. I settled on a Isuzu 1.5 td engine

I want to fit the vauxhall 1.5Td isuzu engine from a Nova, but don't have much mechanical skills or experience, so would love to hear and share ideas on how this can be done. So far I have bought a Nova 1,5td .....just got to figure out what to do next and how to approach this conversion.

All ideas, tips, clues, advice, suggestions and help welcomed and appreciated.............thanks in advance

#41 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

you have pm :o

#42 dekz2uk

dekz2uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred & Exhausted mini club

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

Hi mcapachey :o

Why not start a new thread and tell us all about your project so far. Your ideas, what you've done so far, what you bought etc.

I too am building "The Miesel" (in the vauxhall section) and I reckon we can share ideas to get our "special minis" on the road. :thumbsup: clink this link for more The Miesel

Anyone else has ideas - keep em coming because we need 'em. :)

#43 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

Whats with a Smart CDi engine?
It's smal but has lots of torque and a semi-automatic 6 speed gearbox.

And it's so little in dimensions...

smart gearbox = shoite. engine is good though

#44 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

DC mini's have a diesel mini for quite a while now.

#45 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

as do these chappies:

http://www.greasecar...w.cfm?mnepID=78

...workign with they guys:

http://www.madhousem...rmini/index.htm

DC mini's have a diesel mini for quite a while now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users