240 replies to this topic

#16 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

Jon, I hate to pick fault but that single eyebolt worries me, I'd seriously consider reinforcing that.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe ditching the bracket and having a nut welded into the bar for the eybolt to thread into???

#17 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

or you could drill a hole a bit bigger than the thread into the tube, to allow an eyebolt to go all the way through the nut, then weld a nut to the outside of the tube....

Edited by samsernie, 14 May 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#18 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

or you could do what iv seen done many times before, drill a hole into the bar, get a boss made up with a threaded centre, then weld the boss into the bar

Edited by mini93, 14 May 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#19 JonBetts

JonBetts

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

We use that method in our Autograss cars with no issues at all but I may well go the threaded insert route as it will look neater, although the best option is the motorsport route of wrapping the belts around the bar itself.

Postage for TMF members will be just a fiver ;-)

Edited by JonBetts, 15 May 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#20 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'd be very interested if you could make one that can be used with a rear cage

Like you said, if you could make it to bolt to the more vertical part of the arches or incorporate into the rear cage plates

I look forward to seeing it develop!

#21 JonBetts

JonBetts

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I'd be very interested if you could make one that can be used with a rear cage

Like you said, if you could make it to bolt to the more vertical part of the arches or incorporate into the rear cage plates

I look forward to seeing it develop!

Going to have it to bolt to the sides of the rear arches as there are too many different cages out there and the distance between the rear stays on the cages may vary from car to car. New bracket design is with the laser cutters now so hopefully will be ready next week along with a new design for the harness mount itself.

#22 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

Jon, I hate to pick fault but that single eyebolt worries me, I'd seriously consider reinforcing that.

Also(tmf gestapo head on!!)

To offer services to TMF members you need to register as a trader, PM jordie for details.

Have to agree with you here mate, the wouldnt hold much force in a crash.

I would say theres two soultions, either gusset it to triangulate the mount, or simple drill through with a curved spreader plate on the back which fits the profile of the tube, the source some longer eye bolts which go right through the tube of the bar and wither weld the nut to the spreader plate (Would be a good way of making sure people use it) or just keep the nut free, this way it will also spread the load over the tube and stop it kinking. Maybe not a problem for 4 point because the load is more distributed, but for a 3 point there is a potential.

To make the spreader plates you could just cut a length of the tube in half and cut it into 4" lengths or whatever, you should be able to make them fit the diameter of the bar with a little enlarging.

Otherwise a brilliant looking product and looks very neat!

Rich

P.s - If you need the threaded insets machining PM me and il sort you out.

Edited by Rich., 15 May 2010 - 04:03 PM.

#23 JonBetts

JonBetts

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thanks Rich, may well be in touch. As said we run this style of plate for belts in our Autograss cars and it has proved very reliable but I will do it differently to put peoples mind at rest as its better for it to look over engineered than under. Appreciate all the comments and all are taken on board. Will have more products coming soon, and if anyone needs any laser cutting doing please drop me a line, one-off items, small batch runs etc all catered for.

Jon

#24 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:31 PM

Another option could be a threaded "Top-hat" type bush, this could be inserted into the tube and welded into place, even if the weld failed it still couldn't pull through or go anywhere.

I'm sure Rich could knock these up in his sleep!!

#25 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

Seeing as we are all giving out ideas.......

Why not just have the clip on the harness clipped into the plate on the bar, negating the need for eye bolts? You could have the plate welded so that it's vertical, instead of horizontal. Clip yer harness straight onto said plate. Bob's yer uncle! As long as the plate can resist the shear out from the harness clip!

Jon, I mailed you about this, but it may not have come through, I'd like one please, as shown in your car, for 4-point harnesses. Thankings.

#26 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

hi the just looked at the picture of the harness bar with the belts round the bar my only problem with that is would be i would put them a bit futher apart as the belt will naturaly want to be pull either side on minisport have a look what i mean they are just position bit futher apart

http://www.minisport...AFRBN096HB.html
josh

#27 JonBetts

JonBetts

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

hi the just looked at the picture of the harness bar with the belts round the bar my only problem with that is would be i would put them a bit futher apart as the belt will naturaly want to be pull either side on minisport have a look what i mean they are just position bit futher apart

http://www.minisport...AFRBN096HB.html
josh

Christ have you seen the price of those things!!! Yeah realised this after I did the first one, others will obviously be wider apart and I have redesigned the mounts on the wheel arch slightly as I wasnt happy with them, new design will be in this week and hopefully the ones for mounting with a cage.

#28 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

great news cant wait to see the pictures
josh

#29 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

Just to say I bought one of these without harness loops attached, and spent the weekend fitting it, and adding mounting points for my harness rear strap inertia reels.

Saved me loads of hassle sourcing the materials, measuring and making one myself. Very pleased.

Posted Image

#30 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

I'm struggling to find this 'wrap-around' style of harness, can anyone supply any links? Cheers :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users