On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

Model:Rover Mini Cooper 1275
Year:1997
Description of problem (please be as in depth as possible):

Hi folks, hope you can give me some top tips. I have been a mini owner since Wednesday. A few small problems to sort. First one first. I had the drivers door in bits at the weekend to investigate why the window was slumping forward when wound down. I discovered the window channel that should of been holding the glass on to the winder mechanism was lying in the bottom of the door very very rusty.

I have ordered 2 new window channels front and rear (the front one is ready to fall off as well) from minispares. I was looking for a helpful guide to fitting them. It looks very tricky because you can't get full access to the mechanism. Do I need to remove the glass ?
Do I need to remove the winder mechanism ?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 sheepy89

sheepy89

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

ahh fun times i did this a few weeks back.

what i did was take the glass out the door and seal the runners onto the glass with sealant so they dont fall off. take out the mechanism out the door.

then put the window back in the door and wedge it with a piece of wood if your on your own or get someone to hold it so the bottom of the window is visable from the big hole where the mechanism goes.

then wind the window mechanism so the two arms are pointing upwards and slot them into the runners. wind the mechanism down to half way once you have done that and it should all fit nicely back into place.

hope this helps. other people might know an easyer or different way but this is the way i did it

sean

#3 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

I recently had to replace mine as, like yours, the front had fallen off. After hours spent wrestling with it trying to get it back on (as mine weren't that old) with the glass in situ, I pulled the glass out and still couldn't get it on. It'd rusted inside so much that the glass wouldn't fit in anymore (I'd only bought them a couple of years ago :thumbsup: )

I eventually replaced both of them for THIS lovely stainless one piece glass support. It's great, easy to fit and never going to rust :P

I fitted the rubber to the glass first then then pushed the metal over the rubber. I used glass cleaner as a bit a lubricant when fitting the metal over the glass. I don't know if this is the correct method but it worked for me.

Removing and refitting the glass is nicer as a two man job :withstupid:

#4 greenlantern101

greenlantern101

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the advice I will let you know how I get on. :)

#5 MrMiniSpecial

MrMiniSpecial

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

You might have to bend the metal channel on the runner where the glass sits to get a good tight fit. Pliers or a vice would do.
I put the rubber into the metal runner, fitted to glass by hand, then tapped with a block of wood to work the runner onto the glass. It needs to be a tight fit to ensure the runner won't fall off when you wind the window up and down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users