#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

hello again people,

okay yet more problems today. i took my mini out for a spin after FINAL getting it started and it died again. and would not start again.

i have found i get no spark from the spark plug. the engine turns over but will not start. well it almost did and then it did for a few second then died again. :D

so what could be wrong. the engine must have power as it turns over. the spark plugs are new-ish but a bit black. the engine has petrol as the spark plugs i took out had petrol on them and also it's getting to the flot chamber with no problems now.

i've cleaned the inside of the distro cap.

my mechanic said it may be breker points but i don't know what to ajust them too. also if it's not that then please give me other ideas of what it could be.

my mini is a 1982 mini Mk2 i think.

#2 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:46 PM

I would not bother adjusting them, I would replace them and the condenser.

You will find the gap in the haynes manual, I do not have it to hand sorry

#3 Mandgands

Mandgands

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:49 PM

it could be a number of things. take off the HT lead that goes to the centre of the distributer cap, put a spark plug in it, sit it on the engine, turn the car over. If you get a spark, then you know that your ignition system up to the distributer is fine and the problem must be the leads, rotor arm or distributer cap. If you get no spark, then the problem could be the coil or condenser.

Gary

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

ok i'll do the spark plug thing tommorow. but may i ask. what is the condenser and were is it.

also can't find the points gap in the haynes book. i've looked a few time either i'm dim as a 1watt blub or it's just not there.

#5 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:11 PM

These figures are taken from a metro haynes manual.

dwell angle,

Lucas 54'
ducellier 57'

Contact breaker gap

lucas 0.014 to 0.016 in (0.35 to 0.40mm)
decellier 0.015 in (0.38mm)

#6 Ste mini

Ste mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

could be earth have a check if its lose could only be contact at certain times

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

which earth, were. oh sod it. i might just take it to the mechanic.

but i will try tommrow.

and again what is the condenser. seriously i have no idea what it is,

EDIT

seeming as i'm more than likely going to have to tow it. as i have the mechanical skill of a sponge.

How, Oh how do i tow my mini, i cant use the two ring thing as my brother broke it off then tryed to two the car by the LICENCE PLATE. idiot. so can i loop a rope around the subframe??

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

how to change points (if not sore take photos before starting then u have something to go by if it goes a bit pete tong)

Remove the ignition shield, where fitted. Remove the distributor cap and rotor arm and examine the distributor points.
Points which are worn or badly burned should be renewed. If contact breaker points are badly worn and have a 'blue' appearance then it is likely that the condenser needs replacing.

In most cases it will be more expedient to fit new contact breaker points rather than attempt to clean up the existing ones.
To renew the points, first remove the nut from the top of the terminal post and lift off the top insulating bush and both electrical leads. Remove the screw, spring and plain washer securing the contact set to the base plate and lift out the contact set. Take great care to ensure that none of the components are dropped down inside the distributor body as, if this happens, the distributor must be removed to retrieve them.
Before installing the new contact set, clean out the inside of the distributor thoroughly. Wipe clean the contact surface on the breaker cam. Also wipe clean the contact faces of the points on the new set as these are normally coated with preservative. Methylated spirits is ideal for this purpose. Do not use petrol, as this is oil-based.

Position the new contact set on the base plate and secure with the locking screw and washers. Tighten the screw only lightly at this stage. Locate the condenser and LT lead terminals onto the top insulating bush and fit the bush over the terminal post so that the terminals make contact with the breaker arm spring. Refit the retaining nut and tighten securely.

Ensure that the lead terminals are properly positioned so that they are insulated from the terminal post.

Lubricate the distributor cam, cam spindle and points pivot as detailed above.
Check that the contact face of the fixed and moving contacts are parallel to each other, aligning them correctly if necessary.

Turn the engine over by hand until the rubbing block on the breaker arm is resting on the top of the cam lobe. Adjust the position of the fixed contact by moving the contact breaker bracket until the specified gap of 0.014 0.016 in (0.35 - 0.40 mm) is obtained between the contact points.

The fixed contact bracket can be moved by inserting a screwdriver into the notched hole at the opposite side of the plate and turning the screwdriver clockwise to decrease the gap, or anti-clockwise to increase the gap. The feeler gauge should be a neat sliding fit between the contacts.

When fitting new points it is advisable to set the gap to 0.019 in (0.48 mm) to allow for initial bedding in of rubbing block.
When the gap is correct, tighten the locking screw. Turn the engine over until the rubbing block is on the opposite cam (180') and recheck the clearance.
After fitting new points or adjusting the points gap, the dwell angle and ignition timing should be checked

Before u refit the cap

Thoroughly clean the distributor cap, inside and out, with a clean cloth, paying particular attention to the spaces between the metal electrodes inside the cap. Check that the electrodes are not excessively eroded, and that there are no signs of tracking. Tracking is visible as hairlines on the surface of the cap and is caused by the HT voltage shorting between the electrodes or the central brush and an electrode. Once tracking is present it cannot be eliminated and the cap must be discarded. Also check that the small carbon brush in the centre of the cap is undamaged.

Similarly, clean the rotor arm and inspect for damage or excessive erosion of the electrode. Also check that the rotor is a neat sliding fit on the distributor spindle without excessive side-play.
Clean the outside surface of the central tower on the ignition coil and check for signs of damage or tracking.

Wipe all grease and dirt from the HT leads and check the leads for signs of cracking, chafing, etc. Ensure that all connections at the spark plugs, ignition coil and distributor cap are secure, and the moisture seals at each end of the HT leads are firmly in place.

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

cool, very good guide. but i rembed i flatten the battire from cracking it...er...alot. so i really need to know how to tow a mini if it has no tow ring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users