22 replies to this topic

#1 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, im not one for glass shattering bass, so im going for small scale install, but trying to keep everything as neat as possible.

I used to be a Sound Tech as a Job, so im pretty picky when it comes to sound quality. For this reason im using Rockford Fosgate kit all round, as in my opinion its be best, i know others have there fav's, but im yet to hear anything that tops it.

So, basic Spec and what i have done so far;
10" RF Punch Audiophile Sub
6.5" RF Power Components
1 RF Punch 2002 Amp
1 RF Punch 3002 Amp
1 Alpine motorised screen media station with 6 disc changer
1 Profitexx 3 farad Cap

So Far;
Cut out a 10" hole in the parcel shelf with the nibler, so i diddnt have to remove the rear window, a combination of cutting from above and below and it cut it perfectly.

Posted Image

I need to build a box on the back of the shelf to act as an enclosure, so i need to get myself some more MDF for that as i used alot cutting rings to builld the pods for the components.

Next problem was to try and get a huge power cap and 2 amps into a 1ft x 2ft panel to fit on the back of the rear seat in the boot.

This lot;
Posted Image

Onto this;
Posted Image

So i came up with this solution;
Posted Image

Posted Image

And started to wire it up;
Posted Image

Rich

Edited by Rich., 17 August 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#2 mikey88

mikey88

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

Looks Good rich!

this will look nice!

good luck i will defiently keep a eye on this build!

Michael.

#3 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:56 AM

Hey Rich hows the install coming on?

#4 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Sorry Guys, i really need to get some progress with this! We have been super busy at work doing lots of awesome work involving v8's and small cars, unfortuantly no minis yet though! I will get cracking with this again at some point in the neer future!

Rich

#5 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Good man! :)

#6 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Ok, so, i managed to damage my ankle whilst out hiking the other day and carnt get over to the SwiftFab workshop so im kind of housebound. Luckly our house includes a small workshop on the back so i decided to do a little more on the install.

Firstly, i ditched the crappy plywood in favour of a 6mm clear perspex sheet (Its still got its protective backing on, hence why its white)

Posted Image

This is going to have some blue LED's mounted behind it, to match the Savage switches in the cab.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So to fit the LED's beind, the amps need to be spaced off the wall slightly, so i made up 4 1" ally spacers. As you can imagine, they took quite a while to polish them from this;

Posted Image

Into this;

Posted Image

Even with a lathe!

And finally, i fitted some matching LED's into the low's of the front components;

Posted Image

Posted Image

I need to order up some blue LED strips to stick behind the amps next.

Rich

#7 RobFox

RobFox

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

This is looking nice, I will keep my eye out for any updates :dozing:

#8 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

Had a spare couple of hours today so i got a tiny bit done on the wiring. Just braided and shrinked the Neg and Pos Distro output cables.

A before and after;

Posted Image

And all of them done;

Posted Image

Also ordered up some 25mm ally U channel, the use for this will become clear soon :)

And ordered up some blue LED strips aswell.

Aswell as put a request in for a quote of something which relates to the Ally channel i ordered, but aga im keeping this one a suprise for now! :)

Rich

#9 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

Ah, seem to have inspired you in terms of the braiding perhaps lol

#10 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

:) Its a common this we used to do when i was a sound tech, when building installs for rack equipment and high performance audio cables and the like, but i have to admit i never thought about doing it on this setup till i had a flick through your build, it really does make cables look awesome!

Rich

#11 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

:) Its a common this we used to do when i was a sound tech, when building installs for rack equipment and high performance audio cables and the like, but i have to admit i never thought about doing it on this setup till i had a flick through your build, it really does make cables look awesome!

Rich

It does indeed! But RCA`s are a pain in the arse!

#12 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Rich

It does indeed! But RCA`s are a pain in the arse!

That they are!

Some 3 or 4 to 1 ratio heatshrink makes life alot easier! Even then if your leads already terminated at both ends, its not going to be easy anyway! Im lucky enough to have an end i need to terminate on the RCA's so i can assemble it all first, then solder on my connection and finally heatshrink it all into place.

Rich

#13 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

Ive given up and im buying some some normall rca leads lol

#14 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

Also bud, ill be doing some wood working tomorrow, want me to fire out a baffle for that sub? ill send it upto you for the price of postage.

#15 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

Also bud, ill be doing some wood working tomorrow, want me to fire out a baffle for that sub? ill send it upto you for the price of postage.

If youve got the time mate that would be perfect!

Il exchange for some custom made RCA's if you want some made up to your own length?

Cheers
Rich

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users