Photo
- - - - -

Oil Drain Plug Bolt, Think Thread Has Gone In Sump!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dominicmelton

dominicmelton

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

i have an 87 998 auto city.

Changed the oil, on doing drain plug up again, it started getting tight then suddenyl got loose again, so suspect thread has gone in sump.though howvere the bolt used looks cut off and hits a bit on bottom of engine when doing up so wondering if that could be wrong size, or is that normal for it to hit a little.

Im still thinking its most likely thread has gone. Would people reccomend helicoiling or would it be easier putting a new sump on, are these easy to find? I cant seem to find one anywhere! I have put some ptfe tape round for the mo and has stemmed it but still leaking fair bit!

Cheers for any help! Dom

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

The gearbox is the sump, so you won't find a replacement sump, unless it's a replacement gearbox.

Can't remember off the top of my head if the auto sump plug is the same as the manual, but I think it is, in which case, it's a 5/8" UNC thread and the only viable option is to helicoil the hole and refit..

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

you can get oversize plugs from minispares, but personally i would helicoil it,

I got a kit off ebay from the states for not loads of money (goes to look...)

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f331a362

#4 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Nightmare! You risk it falling out and losing all the oil any time - ruining engine + box. I suggest you don't drive it till you get it fixed properly - with a Helicoil. Most Mini places will surely have the kit ?

#5 dominicmelton

dominicmelton

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

i have bought one of the oversized plugs from minispares, but am thinking maybe the bolt is funny because it is already one of these!

I may go down the helicoil route. Just a bummer, it's my only car and kinda important haha, but same time I don't want to risk anything.

I think I may be living off lifts for the next few days!

#6 E-Tizzle

E-Tizzle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

is helicoil where you basically put a thread inside a threaded tube if you know what i mean.

using an analogy.

thread the inside and outside of a tube, then insert a bolt in the tube, then put the whole thing inside another hole.

#7 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

helicoils are actually more like a spring,

#8 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

A new oversize thread is cut - and then the helicoil fits inside - to leave the 'original' thread for the bolt to grip. Awkward to do on the manual sump because of close proximity of the subframe.

#9 puresmartie

puresmartie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Nightmare! You risk it falling out and losing all the oil any time - ruining engine + box. I suggest you don't drive it till you get it fixed properly - with a Helicoil. Most Mini places will surely have the kit ?

i fitted a tapered plug from minispares, 15k and it still hasnt fallen out :lol:

#10 dominicmelton

dominicmelton

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

i fitted a tapered plug from minispares, 15k and it still hasnt fallen out :lol:

well i shall give it a try and hopefully all good!
I have sorted out lifts for the rest of the week so the mini hasnt got to move till i do it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users