159 replies to this topic

#121 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

p.s is it me or did it take you very little time to do it all? were you off college? mine (its going to happen >_<) will definitely take longer....

#122 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

p.s is it me or did it take you very little time to do it all? were you off college? mine (its going to happen :)) will definitely take longer....

He made it look easy didn't he, nice one Ian >_<

this guy has a couple of very interesting posts about simple mods on the Micra engine, well worth a read

http://www.micra.org...o-Micra-project

http://www.micra.org...t....by-EBBdude.

#123 batespeed

batespeed

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: minis in inverness

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

ive just read through all of this, and i must say its very interesting ! well done....... have you used the standard inlet manifold ? it looks much smaller than the ones ive seen, even big chief had to make up a manifold i think, and he's turning these conversions out every other week. i take it its the bigger (later) gearbox you have , and thats why so much fabrication of the subframe is required, keep up the good work, and the posts and photos, wee all want to know what its like to run , reliability, fuel consumption etc ace !

#124 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hi drummerian
Found this while searching on Google, well done on getting the welding sorted and completing this. Not many people actually finish them
I'm just weighing up pro's and con's and generally stealing ideas >_< for using one of these engines to replace Cyril's movement centre. So far the pro's are winning
Did you sort the belt alignment out here?
Posted Image

#125 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

Here's a nice little mod for you Ian :D it has made my Micra able to pull 6500 revs in fourth

Posted Image

It's one of these, needed a slight clean up with emery cloth to fit Trumpet

#126 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

Did you sort the belt alignment out here?

I spotted that too, but with all the grief about the welding didn't want to mention it, I should have done really, hope you sorted it Ian. That Mini should be a flying machine given how quick the Micra is lugging a good 200kg more around,

#127 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

sweet mod there! will have to look into that!

i did sought the alignment, that bracket was actually fully redesigned as i didn't feel i had done a good enough job!

all a learning curve :D

will try and answer some more questions when i find time, currently building an electric Mr2 so thats occupying much time atm!

#128 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

hey dude.

still sounds nice :D my gearbox in the mini is toast but i think i'll have to fix it till i can afford and have time to do a similar conversion :-

Nice work overall :D

#129 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:11 PM

hey dude.

still sounds nice :D my gearbox in the mini is toast but i think i'll have to fix it till i can afford and have time to do a similar conversion ;)

Nice work overall ^_^

whats it like to live with? do you know what power it produces and finally do you know how much quicker it is than a 1275?
i fancy doing this conversion put i'm a bit concerned about how much power/performance these engines have.
regards
rids

#130 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

whats it like to live with? do you know what power it produces and finally do you know how much quicker it is than a 1275?
i fancy doing this conversion put i'm a bit concerned about how much power/performance these engines have.
regards
rids

Its not really a performance upgrade, but an option to extend the life of your mini by having a more available engine.
Performance modifications can be performed as per some of the links but, you can also modify a 1275 mini engine to gain more power

Edited by charie t, 18 December 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#131 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

This is a modded 1275 Micra engine in a Micra! just think how quick that would be in a Mini

#132 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

regards
rids

Its not really a performance upgrade, but an option to extend the life of your mini by having a more available engine.
Performance modifications can be performed as per some of the links but, you can also modify a 1275 mini engine to gain more power

i'm more interested in a 5 speed box to get rid of the idler gear whine but if you've got the chance of gaining some power at the same time it cant be a bad thing!

#133 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

Yeah right. :)

With the cats removed and a decent air filter the 1275 engine generally makes 100bhp without further modifications. You'll have to spend quite a lot on an A-Series to get it that far - meanwhile the same money can be spent on the Micra lump to take it beyond that 100 gee-gees (cams, 4-branch, head work, management upgrades etc). The CG is streets ahead of the A-Series (not surprising really since there's over 30 years between them). At 100bhp it'll also return a consistent 40mpg which'll knock the socks off an A-Series on a carb.

Out of the box it's not a massive power hike and the CG13 is never going to make as much power as the Vauxhall or V-Tec swaps but it's also far easier to shoe-horn into the engine bay and probably a good deal cheaper to do the conversion.

Iain

#134 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

Out of the box it's not a massive power hike

Which was exactly my point

#135 rids

rids

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Out of the box it's not a massive power hike

Which was exactly my point

ive done modern engine into old car in the past (2.0ltr zetec into spitfire) and i like the way it transforms the drivability, smoothness of the car, however i dont want to cut the body a lot (if any) this is why the micra swap is appealling to me. i also think about 100 bhp in a mini is a easier to live with than wrestle around some of the bigger transplants. i still want it to feel like a mini. i had a 1380 years ago which rolling roaded at 95bhp at the wheels i'd like to think i'd get similar performance if not a bit more out of the micra with better reliability. whats the difference between the cg13 and the k11? and which engine should i be looking for? finally what age did these engines come out of? nats? and do i go with the dizzy engine or non dizzy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users