9 replies to this topic

#1 rough1

rough1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

can any one help.....just bought some 10 inch revolution wheels to go on my austin 1000, i'am wanting to put some wide arches on hopefully stage 5, and some low profiles on.... can any one tell me what the best tyres will be and what spaces i will need and if it will cause any problems.....thanks

#2 Cater_Racer

Cater_Racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local Club: HRCR

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

can any one help.....just bought some 10 inch revolution wheels to go on my austin 1000, i'am wanting to put some wide arches on hopefully stage 5, and some low profiles on.... can any one tell me what the best tyres will be and what spaces i will need and if it will cause any problems.....thanks

Yokoama A008

#3 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

How wide are the revo's? 10x5 or 10x6? do you have drums or discs on the front?

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

The arches you will need are probably the old ST Group 2 ones. They carry the chrome trim over tne arhes and are exactly as the 'works' used on the 60's Cooper 'S' rally cars. With 10" wheels, the Gp5 arches are really for very wide raing tyres which are not road-legal.
Your possible need for spacers will be governed by your current set-up, i.e. drum or disc brakes and wheel offset. Try fitting them with the 165/70x10 tyres on and see if they go on OK.

#5 richieg

richieg

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

I have 6x10 minitors with group 2 arches and use yokohama A032s and they are brilliant.

#6 miniobsessed

miniobsessed

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

There really is no such thing as a low profile tyre for a 10" rim to suit a mini. Most people fit 10's because they look awesome and they can offer better handling partially due to the 'large' sidewall having a bit more give (might sound bonkers but it works). The yokohama A008 in a 165/70R10 fits this bill perfectly.

And making your wheels stick out a mile using huge phat spacers may sound cool but it will adversly affect your handling and if you use the dodgy wheel stud extension type spacers they may cost you your life.

Don't get me wrong... I love the look of wide 10's with big arches (like the Miglia mini's) but it has to be done right to look right and still be safe :(

The biggest problem I could see would be wheather the wheels will fit over whatever brakes you have on your car. If you have 8.4" disc brakes they will not fit.

If the brakes are not a problem then next step would be to get your tyres sorted, fit the wheels to your car and then see what you actually need in the way of a wheel arch to cover any sticking out.

How about some pictures??? :D

#7 rough1

rough1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

hi there. where would i find what size they are.. and i have drums on back and discs on front

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Measure the diameter of the disc. To fit 10" wheels you need the Mk 1, 2 or 3 Cooper 'S' 7.5" discs as fitted pre-1971, not the later 8.4" discs. Then 10" wheels will not clear the allipers on the 8.4" diss. There is an option of fitting the Ford Fiesta calliper to allow for 10", but that's another issue and others can advise on that as I've never done it (yet).

#9 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Has anyone tried the new 165/70 x 10 Dunlop SP Sport tyres?

#10 Cater_Racer

Cater_Racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local Club: HRCR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

Has anyone tried the new 165/70 x 10 Dunlop SP Sport tyres?

I've never found anyone selling them.

I ony get Falken offered to me, I have to keep my own stock of A008's and buy from a race track supplier (Adams & Page or George Polley)

Edited by Cater_Racer, 25 June 2010 - 06:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users