#31 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

ideally you need a female, to 2 female, but you can buy double ended female adaptors to put on the end of it if you cant find any

#32 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

Right, distribution block, splitters and wiring kit are on their way to me :D Once they're here i'll wire it all up.

I may upgrade to a higher amp alternator in the near future, but a) is this a particularly difficult job, and b) will i experience any problems with my current 45 amp one, keeping in mind my system will put out 600W?

#33 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

changing the alternator is pretty much - undo 3 bolts and a wiring plug, so its very easy.

it should be okay for now, you may only find problems with the system not charging properly if its winter and you have your lights on, heater, heated screen on, music on etc.
you are best off upgrading as soon as you can though :thumbsup:

#34 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

Right, got a bit of an update on this.

I've just come back in after wiring everything up, and something is wrong with the amplifier that's connected to the 6x9's. Wattage and Ohm levels are correct, i've daisy-chained the Remote cable from the 400W subwoofer amp to this one, fitted a distribution block to split the Live cable to allow for two amps, split my RCA cable for the two, and attached an earth to the 6x9 amp.

But after starting the car to check if everything was in order, i'm now getting a really strange feedback from the 6x9's, a sort of low pitch whistling which increases in pitch if i push the accelerator.

The 400W amplifier powering my two subs is unaffected and works as it was doing previously.

Is my 6x9 amp just buggered?

#35 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

Engine whine usually indicates a bad earth somewhere. Try putting a noise suppressor between the amp & headunit to see if that helps. LINK

#36 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Engine whine usually indicates a bad earth somewhere. Try putting a noise suppressor between the amp & headunit to see if that helps. LINK

That's funny, while i was in Dublin the other week i visited a Maplin and the shop assistant tried to sell me this when i asked for RCA splitters.

I'll check my wiring again before forking out for an isolator, as i did think a poor earth might have been the case.

#37 minilester

minilester

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

make sure all the earth cables are as short as possible and both ends have ring/fork terminals crimped soldered heat shrunk ans the earth point on the car is sanded to bare metal!...

and my 70amp alt. is no longer big enuff for my system... i need at least 45 extra mps and the standard alt for an 87' is 45 amps so the extra 25 amps just isnt enuff any more! :D

#38 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

How many watts is your system? Although my amp wasn't running correctly i didn't notice any issues with my car and its standard alternator...

#39 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Youll find you may have to fit ground loop isolators anyway, had to fit some to mine, even though every single connection is perfect (i know this because i used to be an electrician :)) , cost £2 each and the delivery was very quick, Passion Auto on amazon was where i got them from, i used to get interferance from engine noise. make sure you fit them closest to the amp, and not the head unit

Edited by Carlzilla, 23 July 2010 - 09:18 PM.

#40 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Youll find you may have to fit ground loop isolators anyway, had to fit some to mine, even though every single connection is perfect (i know this because i used to be an electrician :)) , cost £2 each and the delivery was very quick, Passion Auto on amazon was where i got them from, i used to get interferance from engine noise. make sure you fit them closest to the amp, and not the head unit

I've opened up the amp and found nothing wrong inside, and the earth is good, but still i get this noise. Why isn't the same happening with my other, more powerful amp?

#41 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

its probably just that the RCA is crossing part of the cars loom, which in my car is unavoidable to keep things tidy, whereas the other isnt, try swapping the RCA's around at the amp, and if you find the interferance swaps to the other amp, you can try re-routing the rca or buy a ground loop isolator to but before the noisy amp

#42 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

They both use the same RCA, which is split to accommodate for two amps only an inch or two away from the amps themselves. The amps are only about 3 inches apart when installed and switched on.

#43 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

• Banned
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

hmm, could be the splitter being a sod or the wiring after it, you got a picture of the wiring and how its all set up?

#44 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

http://bcae1.com/ima...ieldrepair.html

#45 skaterava

skaterava

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

hmm, could be the splitter being a sod or the wiring after it, you got a picture of the wiring and how its all set up?

I removed the other amp and ran the system without the splitters, i encountered the same problem. The amp was making these noises prior to me having a second amp anyway, but it's got worse since then.

I might just buy another amp. How much do 200W 2 channels go for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users