9 replies to this topic

#1 MiniJam

MiniJam

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

On my 98 MPI, I have replaced the plastic jets with chrome ones, but the pump doesn't generate enough pressure to feed both, so the water just trickles out of them. I disconnect the left side washer jet and now the water comes out quite forcefully. Even with the plastic jets I remember the water only get about half way up the windscreen. Is the pump really that bad? Where can a find a modern, more powerful pump? Afterall the pump is at the back of the car, so it does need a bit of pressure to get the water moving to the front.

Also, the wipers are near to useless. The blade doesnt push down on the windscreen enough to move water with it, and instead leaves streaks of water. These are also chrome - they came as a set.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

It could be the feed pipe, as you say, it's very long. Might be gunged up or kinked.

Try bending the arms towards the screen increase the pressure on the blades.

#3 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Do you know if you have a non-return valve fitted in the washer line? If not fit one just after the bottle and it'll stop fluid travelling back down.

Do you have the chrome jets with two jets per side (4 streams of fluid)? Are the the screw in jets leaking at all?

#4 Ipod

Ipod

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

You can get heavy duty Chrome wiper kit from minispares...

#5 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

I've just put some on mine with a standard front mounted bottle and they work a treat.

Suggest it may be the pump or as others have suggested a partial blockage.

Wouldn't have thought the pipe length would have made much difference once it was up to pressure so to speak.

Regards

Steve

#6 MiniJam

MiniJam

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

I have got a non-return value fitted. But I wouldn't know if there pipe would have a block as I can only see the bit expposed at the back of the car, and at the front, any in between hidden though the car I haven't seen.

I tried bending the arms, it does very little and in fact catches onto the bonnet when that's opened. The jet's don't seem like they're leaking, and yes, they have 2 openings for each jet.

I'll try and blow out though the pipe to see of anything turns up at the other end. I just don't want to splash out for another pump to just be in the same situation.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

You could try hooking up the jets to the pump with a short length of pipe as a test. If bending the arms doesn't work it could be the springs are just too tired, but it might be worth looking at the the the ferrules, shafts etc. If they're worn the arms would push them forwards rather than the blades on to the screen.

#8 MiniJam

MiniJam

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

I'll try that short pipe test. I bought two pairs of these chrome wipers, my current one being for mini spares. What are the ferrules/shafts?

#9 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

I thought about fitting a pump from a saab on my MPI as I have the same problem. You know th ones with three washer jets? Surely they must produce good pressure to supply three.

#10 MiniJam

MiniJam

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

Turns out there was 2 cuts in the pipe leading to the passenger side jet. Simple check prevented a new pump etc.

Yeah, I would imagine the more modern cars have much more powerful jets. They usually come out as a spray as to properly cover the windscreen. However, you may have to change the more than pump if you're going to add a modern car pump to your MPI, the pipes and the washer tank,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users