#1 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

Great news!

I have spoken with a NSW registered engineer and he says that the kit looks ok but some complications around the front of the sub-frame how the standard is cut and the pro-motive kit has a new bar across there. He says shouldn't be a problem. He also mentioned the track, but that's standard as I just called Phil and confirmed.

When installing 12 or 13 inch wheels, can the track stay the same? What's the biggest disc you can get under the 10" and 12" wheel? 7.9 and 8.4 ?

Things are starting to move along. Its very strict here in Sydney but if all goes well then I should hopefully get a kit sooner rather than later, no firm dates yet though. But it's encouraging nonetheless.

Con

Edited by cosi, 09 July 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

not sure how your regulations work, but there were, Sports pack, Minis on 13's straight out of Longbridge. The track is marginally wider, if you're measuring from the outside of the tyre. You can go bigger than 8.4, see KAD & MRA's sites; you shouldn't need to though, it'll be even lighter than it was before.

#3 PeeTee

PeeTee

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

Con,
What did your engineer say about needing to pass exhaust emissions standards and is the method to get reverse gear ok? They seem to be the sticking point for aussie rego. I'd be keen to do this conversion as well (in Victoria) if I knew it'd be street legal.

#4 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

Con,
What did your engineer say about needing to pass exhaust emissions standards and is the method to get reverse gear ok? They seem to be the sticking point for aussie rego. I'd be keen to do this conversion as well (in Victoria) if I knew it'd be street legal.

I told him that there was 6 gears in reverse and he was ok with that. I also asked about the emissions and he says it would not be a problem. He also added that the engine numbers won't be an issue. I spoke with him about that on the phone but I will ask him via email so I have it in writing.
I will post it up when he replies.

Con

#5 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Below is what he has said so far via email.

On a pre 1970 car you can use carbon hinged or bolt on panels. Be careful about pedestrian hazards and protrusions like bonnet pins.

Engine numbers should be fine. The issue with going to bigger wheels is the rim widths tend to be much bigger than the 10". You can only go 1" wider than the largest rim fitted to the standard car.

The mod to the subframe is a little of a complication but should be achievable.

What are you going to do about brakes? Standard Cooper discs aren't going to satisfactory.

Be aware that there are strict limitations on wheels tyres and track change that will limit your options for bigger wheels to accommodate brakes. Max one inch increase in rim width over standard and max 25mm increase in track.

#6 PeeTee

PeeTee

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

Sounds promising! I eventually want to replace my SC'd 1310 with the Promotive kit. The idea of banging through a 6 spd sequential gearbox has its appeal!

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

It'll be interesting to see this topic progress & compare international bureaucracy ;)

Will they accept a Sports Pack wheel as original eqpt?

I'd disagree over the S discs, the car will lock its wheels under braking just as easily (more so, as the front end is likely to be a little bit lighter) - you'd need more rubber on the road to see an increase in stopping power from bigger brakes. Of course brake fade is another matter.

#8 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

About the brakes, I guess I will just do what I have to, to get passed the engineer and the tests and then I can add the wheels and what ever else is better but not legal.

This is what he said about emissions.
On reflection I think you need to run the same emissions equipment that was fitted to the R1 Stock.
You will also need to achieve a CO reading below 4.5% at ldle. This will be easy.

I replied back saying that the standard air box won't fit under the bonnet and if I could use another custom air box with all the correct fittings.

#9 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Some more about emissions.

Any movement away from the stock arrangement potentially compromises the emissions levels and with a performance bike engine you might effect performance as well.

If you can find something that is E marked ie legal on an R1 in Europe then you are definitely Ok. Otherwise there may be a problem.

#10 the general lee

the general lee

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hey Cosi,

Great news on trying to get this passed in NSW, it will hopefully pave the way for more of us to fit and use this kit.

Who is the engineer doing all this work, if you don't mind me asking.

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Oh, and if you need a hand with anything...

#11 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

I have been thinking about this project for many years and then when I got serious I found pro-motive but never was in a position to get it done. I just need some extra dosh, or this job interview to pan out and I am free and clear.

I found the engineer on ausmini.com he was mentioned to have a love of minis and I thought he would be the best option. he is strict and I didnt want future problems with the law. clicky check the top of page 6. His name is Peter Gillard.

It would be interesting to have a pro-mo kit and putting to shame some of the loosers running around with their 50kg plastic bumper bars lol

#12 the general lee

the general lee

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hey Cosi,

Any progress with your engineer?

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

I'm near Wetherill Park (out west)

Be interested if you have had any further progress.

Lee

#13 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Hey Cosi,

Any progress with your engineer?

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

I'm near Wetherill Park (out west)

Be interested if you have had any further progress.

Lee

That's funny I can throw a rock into Wetherill Park from where I am. I am in Woodpark.
Are you going to that mini meet on Wednesday night (13th) I think I might just be able to make that one.
If you're interested let me know and I will pass along the details, I just don't know the location as I will be following someone else.

Oh and to answer your question, I haven't been able to find a new job so no new updates on the Pro-Motive front and the engineer.

Con

#14 mattsmadmini

mattsmadmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club of NSW

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hey Con,

Is it possible to get some contact info for Peter? (if you still have it around, im just near strathfield)

I too am getting rather serious about this conversion and would love to talk to an engineer (or 3) about how it can be done!

I too am a little wary about him suggesting that the 7.5" Cooper S disc brakes arent sufficient...

Excuse the thread revival...

-Matty

#15 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hey Con,

Is it possible to get some contact info for Peter? (if you still have it around, im just near strathfield)

I too am getting rather serious about this conversion and would love to talk to an engineer (or 3) about how it can be done!

I too am a little wary about him suggesting that the 7.5" Cooper S disc brakes arent sufficient...

Excuse the thread revival...

-Matty

Try this link. He is at the top on page 6. Peter Gillard
http://www.rta.nsw.g...2_july_2011.pdf

Pro-Mo kit has stalled as there are other things to care care of at the moment.

Edited by cosi, 11 September 2011 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users