#92 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Another update.

Took the rear apart today and dropped the axel. All went pretty well. Although everything had it's fair share of surface rust, nuts came off alright.

...almost. N/S spring bottom mount...******* it
Posted Image

...double ******* it!
Posted Image

So other than that all went well, and the studs have been drilled out of the spring mounts to be replaced with nut and bolt.

DIY bush removal
Posted Image

Wire brushing the rust off the arms
Posted Image
Posted Image

Few coats of hamerite
Posted Image

Out with the old, in with the new and low
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lots of pointless pictures because I was freezing and it was an excuse to stay inside the slightly warmer garage :)

More to come tomorrow

#93 Calman

Calman

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Good work mate, sad i know but look foward to the updates on this one :)

#94 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

Not sad :o and thanks :) will try to keep the updates coming

#95 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Not much opportunity for progress today. Got the axle cleaned up and a quick coat of paint. Didn't find a way to pull the pushes out so had to drill and cut through the rubber then beat the metal insert out.

This just sheared the bolt
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's fairly tidy under there, just a few rusty patches that need to be cleaned then it'll be waxoyld in the summer
Posted Image

#96 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Snow anyone? Makes a Viva that little bit chunkier
Posted Image

Luckily nearly all the work I did today was in the garage attached to the house so I had this to keep me toasty :D

Posted Image

Didn't have too much time today, largely thanks to my girlfriend turning my alarm off :P

Had lots of fun (not) farting about getting the bushes in on the rear arms. These are the only bushes that aren't split so are a pig to do but got there in the end.

So then on to the rear axle bushes for the upper trailing arms. Got them in just far enough with a BFH to then use the left overs of the sheered bolt from last week, chamfered the broken end and cleaned the thread up. Found a couple of M10 nuts and created this
Posted Image

Managed to get the first fully on and moved on to the other. After a short while the nut started slipping and doing jolly pain in the backside all. Ah
Posted Image

Cut the end off and chamfered and cleaned it up again but it wasn't working and just stripped the thread again. So that bolt has finally turned its last, long may it rest in pieces. So will have to find another method/bolt to finish the job tomorrow. Also tomorrow I'll replace the gearbox rear oil seal, finally finish front fog wiring, and drill a hole in the gearbox tunnel to run the wire through for the reverse light. Now due back on 4 wheels next week as I ordered the gearbox end cover for the reverse switch too late and it hasn't come yet :D can't wait to have a car again!

#97 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Didn't have too much time again today, so got on with as much as I could.

First found a much bigger bolt to use for the bush and finished that off, so I now had all the rear suspension complete and dismantled
Posted Image

So a couple hours spent lying under the car and it was all together again
Posted Image
Posted Image

Not sure about this though. The nut seemed to travel a long way before getting tight, but looking at it after it seems the arm has now bent in to the bush, yet the new bush looks to be the same size as the old one...
Posted Image

Also got the new oil seal on today. Just had a thought, I can't remember if we put the metal inserts in to the bushes in question. Will have to check this next week, but right now I'm swearing a bit uncontrollably! May have to take them off, press out the arm and tap in the sleeve, then put it all back together again :)

Edited by oli8925, 05 December 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#98 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

Not sure about this though. The nut seemed to travel a long way before getting tight, but looking at it after it seems the arm has now bent in to the bush, yet the new bush looks to be the same size as the old one...
Posted Image

Was there a inner sleeve in the rubber bushes?
Love the car

#99 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

I like your Viva, my grandad had a Magnum 1800 back in the '70's.

Also, I don't know if you've seen this Firenza doing the shows this year.

Posted Image

swtlQW_NB-8

#100 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Was there a inner sleeve in the rubber bushes?
Love the car

There was supposed to be, checked it today and I forgot to put it in those bushes so took the arms off, out the sleeve in and redid them. Luckily the arms are hardly bent

I like your Viva, my grandad had a Magnum 1800 back in the '70's.

Also, I don't know if you've seen this Firenza doing the shows this year.

I've hardly been to any shows this year but that looks immense. Would love a coupe to play with!

#101 luvlygal

luvlygal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

Didn't have too much time today, largely thanks to my girlfriend turning my alarm off :D

:D can't wait to have a car again!

Moan, moan, moan! Like the way you don't mention my amazing help with the bushes and sleeves! Plank.

I can't wait either! Getting there :D

:goaway:

#102 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

It's on 4 wheels :thumbsup:

At last! Gearbox reverse switch done, prop in, brakes bled and fog lights wired up.

Proper pictures will come tomorrow when I drive it out of the garage. So for now
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Excuse the oil...
Posted Image

The fogs
Posted Image
In reality though...
Posted Image
...they're crap!

Any ideas on how to brighten them up a bit? Got brand new bulbs and a good voltage going to them. Don't know if I should add a relay somewhere.

Got it running for a bit. Doesn't sound great but will check things over tomorrow and hopefully the engine will last long enough for the other to be rebuilt.
Posted Image

#103 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Don't know if I should add a relay somewhere.

If you haven't got a relay in i would fit one, it won't make them brighter but will help with the wiring. Fitting some of the special rain bulbs will help you get more light but lamps themselves are not the best for light output. The reflectors on the back being the issues.
Or...... HiD :thumbsup:

#104 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

It's moved! :wub:
Posted Image
For the first time in several months, and for the first time in over 6 months I've been able to drive it.

Spent today checking things over, retightening bolts, testing brakes and attempting to solve squeaks and bad noises. Should be pretty much ready for an MOT now, just need to find time between work and girlfriend commitments, but there's still a bit of a way to go.

The N/S indicator has always been dimmer than the other, and the lens was cracked and full of water, so took it off today to check things and replace the lens... :- I could've drowned in there. Considering it hasn't been outside for months, the water that poured out was a bit worrying, and the reflector's properly done for. It should do for the MOT but after that I'll either replace it with another orange unit, or clean up and use the magnum clear ones with a sidelight.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I was thinking the magnum ones were going to make the front too bland with the orange to break up the white and chrome, but I actually think it looks better. Opinions please.

So now it's just legalities, tidying up and putting the interior back together and it's useable again! Can't wait :-

Some more piccies
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is after the drive around the block to let the suspension settle a bit. Currently my lowest jack...
Posted Image

#105 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Don't know if I should add a relay somewhere.

If you haven't got a relay in i would fit one, it won't make them brighter but will help with the wiring. Fitting some of the special rain bulbs will help you get more light but lamps themselves are not the best for light output. The reflectors on the back being the issues.
Or...... HiD :-

Think I may do, I want to completely rewire the headlights anyway and possibly convert them to H4, although I know the headlamps aren't E-marked for use with H4 bulbs, and the beam pattern is absolute poo...but not much I can do about that. And if I use the Magnum indicators I'll need some extra wiring for the extra sidelights too, plus I still have to wire in the reverse light and cigarette lighter, maybe a boot light, and at some point redo the speaker wiring and a CB radio when I get one...I hate wiring! :wub:

Where should I add the relay? Between the fuses/bulkhead connector and the lamps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users