Robbie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Local Club: Renegade Mini Fun Club!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Information taken from: http://www.carperfor...s-pr-20754.html

The Power Boost Valve is a high performance tuning part which replaces the original equipment valve (fitted to the vehicle). New Power Boost Valves are pre-set with a maximum fuel pressure of 2.5, 3.0 or 3.5 bar, depending on the vehicle in question, and similarly (to the original valve) the fuel pressure is reduced by 0.5 bar approximately at idle. This will produce a healthy, strong fuel mixture strength which will instantly improve the drivability of your vehicle, providing:-instant throttle response, removal of performance flat spots, faster acceleration, extra engine performance. This valve has an adjustable fuel pressure, effected by the movement of an adjustment screw on the crown of the unit. These units are mechanical and are considered maintenance free.

#3 Dare-Dan

Dare-Dan

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local Club: Bucks Mini Club

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Thanks 'Robbie' does anyone else know anything about them how will it affect reliablity and economy things like that?

#4 kez_19

kez_19

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

i think it is like a dump valve on a turbo and if i remember correctly when you let your foot off the accelerator the turbo slows down and then when you put you foot down again the turbo takes a while to spin back up to speed called turbo lag, a dump valve forces gasses in to the turbo keeping it up to speed when you let your foot off and thus reducing the lag. This is the hissing noise heard by many chavs as they drive around.

as for economy i am not sure what difference it will make but it should improve performance

michael

#5 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

thats not how adump valve works, it works because as you suddenly shut off thr throttle the throttle plate slams closed causing a massive restriction while your turbo is still spinning, this will cause a massive pressure spike between your turbo impellor and the throttle disk, this pressure spike stalls your turbo and inducing massive loads on the blades, they go pop. the dump valve fitted between the turbo and throttle lets off the excess pressure, the air escaping is that woosh noise

that just looks like a fuel pressure regulator, your injectors are fired by electric pulses and fuel pressure is held in the rail if your getting more pressure in the injector and rail before it fires your going to atomse fuel more and supply more of it, as you know more fuel along with more air means more power, weather you will notice it on a standard engine? who knows your injectors will have to be able to cope with this of course

Edited by mini93, 22 July 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#6 Spannerhead

Spannerhead

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

You only need one if you've Stage 3'd your engine and it needs more fuel than standard. Wouldn't do anything otherwise.

#7 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

I've seen these before but i honestly cant see it making a single difference on a carb engine as the petrol is taken from the float bowl and controlling the pressure of the fuel wont make a difference to the amount entering the carb.

#8 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

I've seen these before but i honestly cant see it making a single difference on a carb engine as the petrol is taken from the float bowl and controlling the pressure of the fuel wont make a difference to the amount entering the carb.

have a look see what section this is in, hence why i was talking about fuel injectors

#9 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Oh yeh, oops. Found this topic through the "new posts" Page, didn't realise. So i would be correct then haha.

#10 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

Fitted one to mine some time ago after suffering misfiring/spluttering and it was traced to a knackered pressure regulator on the standard fuel rail but as it was not a replaceable part (so I was told) and it would have meant buying a complete new fuel rail I decided the cheaper option was a PBV.
It's only an adjustable fuel regulator but it does make set up a lot easier when on the rollers!!
I also fitted a pressure gauge to mine as they come without as standard.
See attached instructions/data - [attachment=101143:Power_Boost_Valve.pdf]

and link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users