#1 coopermpi

coopermpi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Ive been looking at john brown wheels, but it seems they are made by the owner of midland wheels.
Ive seen a few posts complaining about the finish of the wheels from there and i was wondering if these JBW wheels are the same.
Has anyone bought some JBW's?
Im looking for 6x12's so advice on where's best to get some from would be appreciated.

#2 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

i thought the same as you and until i hear good things, which appears to be super rare when dealing with MWS i aint going near 'em.

#3 coopermpi

coopermpi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

nobody got any opinions on these?

#4 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

i think because there so new theres not many that can comment on them

i saw a set at beaulieu and i suppose there ok but nothing special, would rather get a set of real minilights to be honest

#5 puresmartie

puresmartie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

saw some mamba replica's at gaydon, looked okay. never had a problem with my mws wheels, 3 years old, with some water they'd be as good as the day i got them.

#6 jay30

jay30

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

I saw some at the Cannon Hill show in Birmingham last month. The D1's are very nice - something a little different.

Clicky

#7 coopermpi

coopermpi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

why are mws wheels slated on here for having poor quality/paint peel/flaking etc. Do they buy sub-standard wheels off the manufacturer? They sell the big names, minilite/superlite, surely they are the same no mater where you buy them?

#8 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

there slated simply because many people have found them appauling...people wouldnt make it up for no reason.

as an example i had some really very nice looking 6x10 mini lite style things, really did look nice but it was damn difficult to even remove the tyres from off the rim let alone putting new tyres on there without causing bead damage, in the end i sold the buggers and painted up n fitted my revo's

#9 coopermpi

coopermpi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

im not saying people are lying. if they are bad, they are bad. I just thought no mater where you bought superlites they quality should be the same

#10 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

That's what get me they sell the same wheels that all the other companys sell so why should they get a load of stick for being so bad, people moan that the paint is poor but that's a problem on any polished rim!

my guess is people are using basic tyre machines to fit tyres, it often helps to flip they wheel upside down to do it.

#11 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Im on my second set from MWS , the first set went on for 3 years no problem , only changed them for a different style which 6 months on still look nice.

#12 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

the guy who tried to do my tyres tried numerious tricks to get them off, hes actualy a mini owner aswell and would have heard of tricks to try. I had heard previously they (MWS) had to heat my tyres up to make them more ductile to get the tyres onto the rim the 1st time around, pretty extreme if you have to do that.
there not the same wheels as likes of mini sares etc, the problem is with the design of the tyre well, its in an odd position and doesnt allow you to move the tyre over sufficiently from either side of the wheel rim

#13 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

did he flip the wheel upside down?

#14 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

he sure did (im sure i said :D but what the hay)

#15 scootlife

scootlife

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

Its the same story on VZI volkszone. MWS are slated as they sell cheap wheels, and no other
dealers are criticised for selling the same wheels. My preception is that folks that have paid
over the top prices for second hand sets of genuine BRM EMPI MINILITE DUNLOP or other
branded wheels have the hump as they could have bought a repro set from MWS for far less.
I have a set of chromed Speedwell BRM's for my 67 Beetle and they look great and have no
problems with them at all. I'm just refurbing a set of Astrali wheels for my Moke replica and to
be honest i wish id rather bought some Dunlop D1's from MWS now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users