#16 coopermpi

coopermpi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

so, if i bought a set of superlites from mws, really i should have no problem as they are the same wherever i buy, but if i got say a set of JBW which are minilite copies i could have trouble.
Or are they all copies but with genuine centre caps? Im getting confused? :D

#17 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

Think there hard trying replacing the rear tyres of a dodge viper :D

#18 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

This guy can :D

http://www.allpar.co...drive/tires.jpg

#19 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

I've heared some funny storys about the MWS D1 copys... Including wheels that fell off (apparently they didn't fit over disc brake flanges) :D

#20 Redbaron6969uk

Redbaron6969uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Just for the record, I work for a cutting tool manufacturer and I sell the tools to make aluminium wheels when I visited Midland wheels I was surprised to find out that they dont actually manufacture the wheels so I guess they must be imported.

#21 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

At the dumping prices they sell theyr wheels for I find that not realy surprising :D

I guess they'd need to sell them for a little bit more if the wheels were manufactured in the UK or Europe.

#22 scootlife

scootlife

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

I suspect they are all of Far Eastern Manufacture. Which of course means quality control is
far less consistant !!

#23 coopermpi

coopermpi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

I suspect they are all of Far Eastern Manufacture. Which of course means quality control is
far less consistant !!

Even the superlite's which they advertise?

#24 scootlife

scootlife

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

I think most things nowadays are made in china. I would ring them and ask them their
opinions and whether there are more returns with certain brands rather than others .

#25 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

MWS provide 6 month and 12 month warrantys on wheel paint finish including diamond cut finishes with a limitation on no warranty on Chromed wheels.
(source:MWS website terms and conditions)

They also import as well as manufacter wheels , so would be best to telephone for clarification

#26 Budget-Boozer

Budget-Boozer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

Nothing wrong with mine, I bought some 10x6 minilight jbw.. Finish is good and had really good service from midland wheels too.

#27 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

just got my mini mag through the letter box and JBW seem to be selling Mk2 Starmags which look extremely better then the previous ones (that they are still selling), anyone got any info on them as there is nothing on the website and only on the mag? :unsure:

#28 fastcarl

fastcarl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

I think most things nowadays are made in china. I would ring them and ask them their
opinions and whether there are more returns with certain brands rather than others .

i'm more than confident that midland wheels do not manufacture anything, except there price list,

i consider myself a manufacturer, in so much that i can show you how my products are made, and any customer can acctually come to my workshop and see said products being made here in the Uk,

ask any of the alloy wheel "retailers" who claim to be manufacturers if you can pop in and have a look at there machining facilities .

when someone has aproblem with these cheep cats chinese import wheels and the retailer does not want to know about the problem there is a good reason for this, HE CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT AS HE IS SIMPLY A RETAILER,

carl

#29 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

My mates got a set of Midland wheels on his car. They've not been on their long and they are starting to peel. One thing I did notice once is their wheels are named the same as the versions you get from mini spares i.e the good quality wheels, but if you look closely they are spelt slightly differently I'm guessing this is cause they are the cheap-ish copies that don't last long.

#30 KRM_Simon

KRM_Simon

Previously known as 'bigsimonb'.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

Well this months mini mag has an article on them. Imports from China.
Has anyone got anything good to say about JBW yet? Not sure whether to get some new repro D1s or get my self some originals restored, which would probably come out more expensive but possibly better quality.

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users