#16 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

I cleaned off the galvanise around the edges before welding. Thanks for the tip, I am still getting used to the welder and mask but it's going ok so far. The welder has only got Power positions 1 & 2 with a min & max switch as well so not much adjustability but the wire feed is between 1 & 10. I will give what you said a go tonight.
I'm still not sure what to do about those seams though. should I cut them apart, peel them back and replace the metal or just seam weld them as they are?

Edited by Brams96, 01 August 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#17 nordicmini

nordicmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

I cleaned off the galvanise around the edges before welding. Thanks for the tip, I am still getting used to the welder and mask but it's going ok so far. The welder has only got position 1 & 2 with a min & max switch as well so not much adjustability. I will give what you said a go tonight.
I'm still not sure what to do about those seams though. should I cut them apart, peel them back and replace the metal or just seam weld them as they are?

i would say its up to you the subframes not going on a car so you can do what you want to it aslong as its strong .take 2 bits of metal lay one on top of the other and weld along edge when done turn over and see if it looks like rainbow colour if not you need to turn up or go slower as you weld hard to tell you easyer to show you .start with the welder up high then try turning the speed of the wire up or down.

#18 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Alright, cheers mate. I'll definitely give it a go tonight. :P

#19 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

is there any need to weld the seams on the subframe?

#20 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

is there any need to weld the seams on the subframe?

#21 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

Probably not, but as you can see from the pics mine needs some repairs anyway so I thought I would do it for the welding practice

Edited by Brams96, 01 August 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#22 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

Yes it's the right way up. I usually spray the heel board and parts of the subframe that won't be accessible when fitted with waxoyl, fit the subframe, then inject it with waxoyl. So yeah you can do it when it's on.

Yeah after looking more realised it was right way up but still seems funny having holes there on top! As mine will be on car still, I hope it wont need replacing or anything when i get a close look at it, where do i inject it on the subframe is there holes etc that are obvious?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users