#1 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

Hello!

I've spent 2 years thinking about it, and a few months of reading this forum and psyching myself up, but I finally took the plunge. After some frantic ebaying action, this 'beauty' arrived...

Posted Image

First of all: lesson learned. Never buy anything on ebay without viewing it in person first. The car is clearly a disaster on wheels, but I love it anyway! As you can see, it needs considerable attention.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LOL!

Posted Image

Posted Image

ZOMG.

Posted Image

AARGH!

Fortunately, it was relatively cheap!

Initial inspection reveals almost every panel bar the roof, boot lid, bonnet and one wing needs replacing or welding up. Also a lot of bits appear to have already been stripped. the engine has clearly not been run for some time - not sure at this point if it will ever run again! I haven't properly investigated the condition of the subframes, but I expect them to be in an ill state of repair. Everything else is either falling off or has already fallen off. A fine example indeed!

I have never attempted anything like this before. The biggest job I have previously carried out on a car was to change the brake discs and pads. HOWEVER, my overall aim with this project is to learn - and if I end up with a decent car at the end, great! Time is not a problem. It can happily sit in the garage for years while I work on it. I've got no deadlines.

Any advice or generous words of encouragement greatly appreciated! I've actually got no idea where to start, so I'm off to poke it a bit and flick through a restoration manual.

More later!

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

Nice one.

Yes it needs all the usual repairs but... it looks pretty original, as in Billy Bodge-it hasn't already been there and nailed on some new metal with pop rivets and bird poo welding!

Cars that haven't been previously 'repaired' are a lot easier to get back to good condition!

Have fun :)

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

You will have some fun with that, none of it is to horrendous and as previously mentioned you wont have to redo somebody else's bodges unlike us with our ebay special. However once bitten twice shy as the saying goes.

Good luck with it and have fun with the welding. :)

#4 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

wow, that looked exactly like mine did when i got it ( rust anyway), good luck matey keep us updated with progress and piccy's :)

#5 joe90gt

joe90gt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

wow looks just like mine when i got it - same colour too - inca yellow - you'll spend many hours in the garage but its all worth it - good luck

#6 Redbaron6969uk

Redbaron6969uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

All the best......nothing it beyond the keen amature on a mini....so long as you are methodical and patient. I will be interested in your progress as I am at a similar stage with my 1979 gt.

#7 ministe

ministe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Just needs a T-cut mate :P

These total rebuilds are always the best sort of projects. What are your plans?

#8 suziwong

suziwong

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Thats no worse than ours to be honest, at least you have some floor on both sides lol

#9 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

Cheers guys! I feel much better about the whole thing now - I half expected 10 posts telling me I'm wasting my time!

Body work is my main concern first of all, so I've started bagging and tagging the easily removable bits. Fuel tank, rear lights, bumper and boot lid are off. I'm following Lindsay Porters Mini Restoration Guide, so I'm going to strip down to a point where I can assess the extent of the damage. Therefore, sooner or later, the engine is coming out!

As for the long term plan, I've got vague intention of a faithful(ish) restoration in the first instance, but maybe with added tasteful sports touches from the era. Finished product could possibly be a lightly tuned car in the spirit of the 70s-80s. This is a long way off though. I can dream! The first goal is to build something roadworthy!

Redbaron6969uk - likewise, I'll be paying close attention to your welding progress. :tumble:

#10 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Just remember to do a bit at a time, don't cut out loads of metal then weld up. This will keep the shell square and maintain it's integrity during welding.

Inca yellow brings back loads of memories for me as my dad owned a Leyland car that colour. It gives off a greeny sheen under street lights. :tumble:

Edited by DeanP, 02 August 2010 - 08:50 AM.

#11 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Quite boring progress I'm afraid. Continuing the strip down and getting ready to lift the engine out.

Back end stripped, more rot discovered. Joy!
Posted Image

Heater thingy out, bits of trim out, mouldy soundproofing out, pedals disconnected and taken out, (ARGH! V. DIFFICULT!) hole in floor enlarged in frustration:
Posted Image

Carb out. Filthy. Will rebuild later.
Posted Image

Ht leads, coil, solenoid, starter motor, washer bottle out.
Posted Image
Also drained brakes and clutch. Tried to do attach a pipe to bleed nipples. Didn't work. Fluid everywhere. Must be doing it wrong.

Looking a bit emptier!
Posted Image

Next job is to drain the rad and block, disconnect the transmission, and then out comes the engine (I think!). I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about, right?! All I need now is a second garage to store all this stuff.

#12 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

good progress dont let the rot get to you, you'll be supprised where it lurks unfortunatly, but once youve got on top of it, its a fantastic feeling >_<

#13 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Progress!!!

A friend very kindly lent me his engine crane... Awesome colour!

Posted Image

After much faff with unreachable bolts, the engine finally came out. I destroyed a ball joint separator on its first outing trying to release the upper suspension arms! Driveshafts were dead easy to get out though, despite the haynes manual talking about 'special tools'.

Posted Image

whoop!

Posted Image

On first inspection, the subframe looks to be in pretty reasonable condition. By this point I was knackered after crawling around under the car for hours, so I called it a day before I got around to breaking out the degreaser.

Posted Image

I also picked up these bits which I was missing from Newark Autojumble today. Front bumper, grille and ancillaries for £35. A good deal I think!? Blossom approves. :D

Posted Image

#14 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

like how the parts come rabbit approved :D

good luck with this mate should be a beauty once its done, whats yer plans for her...

super modded or a straight resto? i have gone for balls out racer, and now i want a second mini as an unmolested one!

also LOL at the crane colour, it doesnt have a leyland/austin sticker on it haha

all the best

#15 Redbaron6969uk

Redbaron6969uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hey, snap...........same car n same rabbit.....I got 2 rabbits just like that ..........thats if its a french lop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users