#1 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:33 PM

Are there any regulations about reverse lights?

Do they need to have the defused glass or would for example a normal front spot lamp be ok to use as a reverse lamp?

My van being of 1980 vintage I don't need either as they weren't fitted as standard, but trying to reverse in the dark is a nightmare, trying to use the brake lights to see with lol. So what I want to do is fit something that doesn't look like the cr@p that BL bolted on as an after thought. I have something in mind but need to know if it'll be legal...

#2 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

You can get reversing lamps like a fog light. Ive seen them somewhere but i dont know where.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

old land rovers

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

why not use this?

#5 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

I know exactly what I am after, just need to make sure it will be legal before I start cutting the rear of my van up!!! :lol:

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

There are the odd one or two, all covered in the SI's

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

But basically, if it's pre 86, you can whack a search light on the back, and aslong as it has a tell tale on the switch or is automatically switched on my the selection of reverse its ok...

Edited by GuessWorks, 26 November 2005 - 10:19 PM.

#7 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:21 PM

Doesn't mean much all that stuff, so I guess I can pretty much use whatever I want :lol:

#8 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

My reverse lights dont work. So im going to convert both Reverse lights into fog lights. Move my brake lights to the tops of the clustors, and indicators to the middles.

Oh, Im after those Jewled rear light covers too.

as for what to use, Im pretty sure ANYthing that is White will be legal as Reverse lights arent required for MOT at all.

<|Ben|>

#9 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

Unless your car was built or registered after 1985.

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:33 PM

Errrm, that's rubbish Binge. You need to have a reverse light as Bluemini says if your car is '86 or later.

And 'anything' is very much not legal. In fact I was under the impression that even those large Lucas boot mounted lamps the Works used were illegal on the road, as in this:

A reversing lamp not bearing an approval mark:
The total wattage of any one reversing lamp shall not exceed 24 watts

Since all cars after '86 must use an approved lamp or equivalent then only cars before '86 may use unmarked lamps and unmarked lamps must not be over 24 watts. The driving lamps that the woks put on the back (like the one on E-bay above) are 55 watt I think since they are actually driving lamps. They're rallying lamps for off road only.

Edited by Dan, 27 November 2005 - 12:34 PM.

#11 Parker

Parker

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:55 PM

You don't need to fit an approved lamp as your vehicle is to old

However, it must either be switched automatically either from the gear lincage or the box or it must have a warning lamp fitted and clearly visable from the drivers seat. This must be closed circuit (ie the warning lamp must illuminate when the reverse lamp is switched on)

It must not exceed 24 watts

It must be said that while these regulations do exist it is rare for them to be upheld. We used to fit spotlamps as reversing lights and I've never been bust for it in 30 yrs of motoring. Also there are very few traffic cops that actually know the law relating to lighting (although many think they do)

A good example.

I run a customised van for my work and it is fitted with al sorts of 'extra' blue accent lighting.
I was recently stopped and a traffic cop tried to tell me that they where illegal.
I asked him to tell me why and he came up with all sorts of excuses.

I said to him "You can ask me to turn them off if you want but if you say they are illegal then give me a ticket and I'll see you in court' -- he made some excuse and dissapeared ------ fast :lol:

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

Blue lights are for emergency vehicles only, so be careful where you tread... Parker, you may find you bluff is called...

Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices
    16.    No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-

( a )  a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

( b )  a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

Edited by GuessWorks, 27 November 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#13 Parker

Parker

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Blue lights are for emergency vehicles only, so be careful where you tread... Parker, you may find you bluff is called...

Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices
    16.    No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-

( a )  a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

( b )  a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

The key is in 'b'

There is no way that it could be argued and won in court that underbody neons, washer jets etc could constitute a warning beacon or warning lamp

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:53 PM

That's your interpretation, don't forget you will be at the interpretation of a Magistrate...

#15 Parker

Parker

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

I'd test it

Reading through the regs there is only that point and pos. this

No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

11  Any other lamp  Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

Only real exception would be if I had one fitted to the rear of the vehicle -- I do but that is covered as well because it is disconected in such a way that it complies to the regs and I only re-conect it if I can be bothered at a show

No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except - blah, blah blah -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users