145 replies to this topic

#1 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Okay, after my 998cc SW10'd 'fast road' engine I built back in December 2009 basically gave up after 4 months of daily use Clicky!, mainly because I didn't run it in and using the wrong grades of oil because of the huge oil leak, the link above should explian most of it, we all make mistakes :P. I then had to build another engine as it is my daily car so used another 998cc block which I had as the old block was now scrap.

The newly built 998cc which i'm using in the Mini at the moment is a light spec 998 - Janspeed head, hs4, k&n, duplex, ultralight flym sc/cr box 3.1FD standard cam etc (998 being built), Which has been great the only breakdown is a dodgy set of points but changed them for a electronic module and done over 2000miles without a hick-up in the past 3months. But it is lacking one thing - POWER! even though the old engine was a 998 aswell with the SW10 cam and 3.6FD it made all the difference! So i now need another half decent performance engine but to use most days still, And the only way to get it is from a big bore as trying to get 100bhp+ from a 998 N/A engine will just be to much work and very un drivable. So Im going big bore on this project! :(

Posted Image

I was originally going to use a 1275 short block i have in the workshop but really needs to be re-bored and the crank needs some work to it, and knowing me i would want the crank to be super-duper light and also the conrods and we havent even got around to what pistons etc, So I saw GreaseMonkey was selling up all his a-series turbo engine parts because hes going vauxhall engine..... So i brought the 1293cc short block off Monkey which has been prepped by MED with 21253 pistons in and is luvvvvly. I also got a few other things off him MED alloy frontplate, flywheel cover etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cam wise i'm going for a 296 (not scatter) and a 3.9FD with the SC/CR box which Paul wiginton also said its a great combo to go for. but will be a bit helish on the motorway but should be brilliant on track, Hopefully will be ok around town, also got some Titan 1.5:1 Fulll Roller Rockers off TM.

Posted Image

Evo Drops 1:1
Posted Image

Maniflow Stage 2 LCB
Posted Image

Some new rubber!
Posted Image

AP organic plate, and isky-type lightened followers
Posted Image

Head wise, ive got a Turbo-Phil Stage 4 36x31 Race Spec head on order should go well with the 296cam and a C/R of 11.5:1 :thumbsup:. Most of the other parts are already on the 998 so need to get the engine out soon so i can start building it :)

Heres the Mini at MITP on sunday
Posted Image

Heres the full spec;

Engine;
1293cc A+ MED Fully Prepped Block, Pistons Flush To Deck
21253 MiniSpares 8.4cc +20 Pistons
Turbo-Mini Stage 4 Race Spec Head, 36x31, Huge Ports, 220lb Double Springs, Bronze Guides, Etc..
HIF44, Alloy Inlet, 2'' Rampipe, BBC Needle (once run-in will be using a weber 45, 6'' maniflow 36chokes etc)
1.5:1 Titan Motorsport Full Roller Rockers
Kentcams 296 Billet x-Drilled Camshaft
Swiftune Alloy Duplex
MED Race Spec Electronic Distributor
Maniflow 1.75 Single Box Exhaust
Maniflow Stage 2 LCB
Isky Type Lightend Followers
Reground 10/10, Tuftrided & Balanced Crank
ARP Rod Bolts & Head Stud Kit
Electronic Fuel Pump
BK450 Gasket
Modified Steel Rocker Cover With Breather Pipe + Carling Catch Tank
Millers 20w50 CTV Race Oil
C/R 11.5:1, Shell V-MAX Petrol

Clutch;
MiniSpares Ultralight Flywheel
MED Race Ultralight Backplate
AP Organic Plate
AP Orange Diaphram

Gearbox;
SC/CR MiniSpares Clubman Gearset
S/C MiniSpares Evo 1:1 Drops
MiniSpares X-Pin Diff
3.9 Final Drive
Paul Wigginton Alloy Windage Tray
Centre Oil Pickup
KAD Quickshift

Cooling;
2Core MiniSpares Super Radiator
Modified Drilled Cowling
6 Blade Plastic Fan

Only need to get a few more parts for the engine, then its time to build it :wub: hopefully will be built by end of September looking for around 110bhp+, fingers crossed!

Cheers.

Edited by Racer_Pete, 19 August 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#2 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

My beautiful engine :thumbsup: It better last you more than 4 months!! Spent loads of sleepless nights when building it hehe

#3 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

looks like a nice build hope it last longer than your first set up.

by the way do you go to brooklands college?

#4 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

My beautiful engine :( It better last you more than 4 months!! Spent loads of sleepless nights when building it hehe

That makes me worry!! wait till our little 'test drive' on great west road, (once its run in, i dont want a repeat of the old engine lol) then we'll see who has the quicker engine :thumbsup:

looks like a nice build hope it last longer than your first set up.

by the way do you go to brooklands college?

Yeah don't go anymore, i remember your mini though :wub:

Edited by Racer_Pete, 19 August 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#5 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

oh fair enough, i heard a lot of guy had dropped out. shame i enjoy you and dan racing about lol.

hmm yeah my mint condition mayfair haha, its in the surgeons atm though.

let me know how your engine does because its pretty much the same spec that im trying to go for

#6 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

great

#7 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Absolutely fantastic as ever!

now some questions:

1. What's the Windage tray like I'am tempted to put one in my 998.

2. What mods are you doing to the cowling, drilling holes in it may actually reduce its ability to cool as well, thought about an oil cooler with oil thermostat?

3. What's your running procedure going to be, I'm wanting to try and get a good one for my car.

Alastair

#8 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

110bhp and 3.9FD = madness! :)

That's going to be nuts to drive!

#9 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

im quite suprised its not 11 stud head for that spec. looks a decent spec though, 296 cams are pretty good.

Edited by samsernie, 29 August 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#10 CaptainBland08

CaptainBland08

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

surely the 296 cam would be lumpy as hell at idle:/

#11 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Absolutely fantastic as ever!

now some questions:

1. What's the Windage tray like I'am tempted to put one in my 998.

2. What mods are you doing to the cowling, drilling holes in it may actually reduce its ability to cool as well, thought about an oil cooler with oil thermostat?

3. What's your running procedure going to be, I'm wanting to try and get a good one for my car.

Alastair

Hey mate, well i had a windage tray ready for the old 998 engine but forgot to put it in and had to sell it as i needed the monies at the time, but they are a really good fit and i'd recommend getting one, it cant do any harm.

About the drilled cowling i was going to drill about 5 holes down the front on the cowling as ive seen a few high spec engines which have had it done, and also thought it would keep it cooler in traffic under 30mph. Havent really thought about an oil cooler really - i think the millers ctv oil works better at a slightly higher temp anyway (i think).

Running in... hmm, dont thrash it, keep it under 5500rpm, dont meet any boyracers at traffic lights and if you do just ignore them, and have a sticky note on the dash saying dont blow it up' for the first 500miles on regular oil with an oil & filter change the first 250miles.

110bhp and 3.9FD = madness! :)

That's going to be nuts to drive!

I hope so :)

im quite suprised its not 11 stud head for that spec. looks a decent spec though, 296 cams are pretty good.

I would have gone 11stud but the block when i brought it was only 9 and cant be asked getting it done, hopefully it will still be okay with the ARP kit.

surely the 296 cam would be lumpy as hell at idle:/

Yeah, but i'm not really that bothered about that

#12 danny1

danny1

In the navy you can sail 7 peas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

you shouldnt have any issues wityh using a 9 stud head on your engine.

ive had no probllems on my 1380 and im runnign a stage 5 race head which is only 9 stud

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

About the drilled cowling i was going to drill about 5 holes down the front on the cowling as ive seen a few high spec engines which have had it done, and also thought it would keep it cooler in traffic under 30mph.

It will probably have quite the opposite effect - at slow speed all the cool air being thrwon at your rad by the fan will take the easiest route, ie out through the holes rather than through the rad.

#14 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Blimey a 296 and 1.5-1 rockers, thats going to be metal when it comes on cam its going be a tricky to drive though, hopefully it will last this time. Best of luck, will be following as i'm starting my own built in a few weeks. :thumbsup:

#15 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Looking good matey... did see the Mini in the flesh at MITP for the first time in several years, amazing. Loved it, well done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users