#16 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

Cheers Craig,

little update, Took the old engine out yesterday and striped it for everything i need for the new engine didnt take that long done it all in a couple of hours, so was chuffed about that. brought some other goodies for it aswell :angry: but ill get some pics when i update next, all im really waiting for is the cylinder head to come back from phil then its time to rock and roll!! although i can still time the cam in etc but just waiting for the gaskets to come from minispares, although it needs the top ball joints on each side as there ******* even though they where done 2000miles ago but have been knocked out again + wheel bearing on the n/s, i think its the negative camber mainly, so the negative camber is deffo going now!! few piccies -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

s/c box ready for the 3.9fd and new s/c drops to be fitted :lol:
Posted Image

#17 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

nice box there mate!

#18 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

This is what you end up with when you haven't got a holesaw, + lots of hours later!
All in the name of lightness! :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Engine is coming along nicely to, ill update in full later on.

Edited by Racer_Pete, 25 September 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#19 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

Is that the one I painted? :P

#20 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

Yes :mrcool:

#21 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

I feel cheated!!

I only looked at this thread to see some MG pics, what did I find................a poxy 25(I've only just flogged one of them as well)

Pete, if you want to maintain my interest in this thread..............I think you know what to do!!

(oh and nice lump as well!!)

#22 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

Don't worry Sean, Theres actually a MGB GT coming in on Wednesday ;)

Anyway heres a few pics of the engine with the MED Front plate, looks good here but actually when you tightend the cam plate up against the cam along with the countersunk bolts at the bottom, the camshaft actually locks up! and cant move it even with the cam sprocket! So i put a standard front plate on with the standard camshaft and tightened it all up and was perfect! so thought it must be the alloy plate, so we mic'd them up and the difference in thickness prepared to the steel one. the alloy one is thinner, not by much but enough to cause a problem and so the end cam bearing is rubbing against the plate! So we rung MED up and they said they have never had any problems with them, but where very helpful on the phone, so top work lee at MED and took my name and number to ring back, but basically said its probably the billet camshaft . I was determined to use the alloy plate because of the weight and didn't want the heavy steel one on! I also checked the difference in length between the standard end cam bearing and the 296 and they where different, so we cut out a gasket of the cam plate and put it underneath the plate think it was about 12thou, and was then perfect, with the cam turning freely again, problem solved!'

Also fitted the 3.9FD, only thing left to do on the gearbox is to put the S/C input on and its ready. Still need to time the cam up propley as its only dot to dot at the mo, but the engine should be basically 75percent built by next weekend, then to be fitted in the subframe bar the head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

mini with its new shoes.. wonder how long there last with a few burn outs :mrcool:

Posted Image'

new aldon red dizzy, pah who needs megajolt! also got some ngk b9es plugs, luminition megaspark 3 coil and new luminition blue 8mm leads.

Posted Image

#23 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

Looking good mate, that bell housings still got some space for more holes! Do all of the flange too lol.
Also are you going to be dry decking it?
I bet eventually you'll want to try megajolt, it will help you with that 296, anyways keep up the good work and the updates. :mrcool:

#24 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

Thanks George, Na i dont think ill be going megajolt for a while, ive read about doing it a few times but just goes straight over my head, i think ill stick with the dizzy, you know where you are with one of them lol.

Got the idler tolerances done today was a bit of a PITA getting it just right but its peace of mind, got it spot on with different sized shims on the idler lucky had loads of different A+ sizes, set to mr calvers road warrior tolerances think its 4thou, Also got the cam timing set last night got it to 104 degrees ATDC, wasn't too bad but took a while for my head to get round how to do it again, even though i done it less than a year ago. :) So bolted the block to the box today and bolted a few parts on, hopefully tomorrow the whole clutch assembly will be fitted tomorrow if i get time, Then its nearly all built up and ready to go in the hole!

some piccies

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

also got my rad all the way from chinaa, Looks pretty good all in all, Also weighed it and over 1kg saving from the standard rad! back of the net! as Alan Partridge would say :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Looking good! Seeing as it still has my name on it, means I can take it for a spin when done? :lol: Yeah?

#26 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

Looking good! Seeing as it still has my name on it, means I can take it for a spin when done? :) Yeah?

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm, I dont know if your be able to handle the power, it may be a bit different to a LWB 10-seater Transit :lol:.

You going Ace Cafe this month?

#27 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm, I dont know if your be able to handle the power, it may be a bit different to a LWB 10-seater Transit :lol:.

OI! It's a SWB 10 seater TURBO! :)

Probably not! You planning to have it in and running by then?

#28 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

OI! It's a SWB 10 seater TURBO! :)

Probably not! You planning to have it in and running by then?

Ohh A Turboooo, the sign of a powerful motor(!)

I hope so, if everything goes to plan, but probably wont knowing what i'm like.

#29 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Fitted the whole clutch assembly, rad, and the new first motion support bearing fitted in the casing today, my old man done that but was a real basturd to get out with heat. The rad fitted to the cowling pretty well had to make a small adjustment to the cowling using some pliers to line the bolts up but thats it, and the bolts are metric but had loads of 8mm's just cut them down

getting there......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

engine will be going in the mini tomorrow just need to time the dizzy up on the bench and put alternator and starter back on, also need to sort the the bottom arms as out as the N/S has to much negative camber for the past 9months and has been pulling to the left ever since, not good espically with my new tires lol. cv gaiter put back on with proper clip, tracking, shim the ball joints up, think thats about it. really want to drive it i hate getting the bus! and miss the sound of the straight cuts even more :)

Edited by Racer_Pete, 01 October 2010 - 07:24 PM.

#30 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Oh and Sean, It was only a rubber bumper :) lol.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users