#1 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

Had a search on the Forum and couldn't find a guide to adjusting the the read drum brakes on a mini. I have the adjuster spanner but just wondering if someone has a break down of the correct procedure?

Thanks in advance

Jason

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

Jack up rear,
Put adjuster spanner on the square adjuster.
Turn 90's till the tire goes tight (wiggle spanner as the adjuster has flats on it)
When wheel locks, work back till it goes round by hand.

Check if correct by pulling handbrake, should be no more than 3 clicks to full stop.

#3 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

I also do like above, I do it with the wheel still on.
Turn the adjuster till the wheel locks then back off one quarter turn, wheel will spin then but with a bit of friction.

If like mentioned the handbrake does still have more than 3 clicks on it, then cable needs adjusting or replacing

Its actually worth checking all the moving parts are moving before adjusting though.

The quadrants on the radius the cable runs through.
The "scissor" mechanism inside the drum have a habit of seizing.

Doesn't hurt to remove the drum and clean out the dust and also check for leaks on the cylinders and make sure cylinder pistons are free to move they can seize in there.

Edited by lrostoke, 02 September 2010 - 10:16 AM.

#4 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm going to attack this later today. Is it best to put the rear on axel stands to do both rears at the same time and to check even friction? Or just jack one side at a time?

Thanks again guys!

#5 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

WO THERE!!!! hold off a minute!!!

When was the last time they were adjusted??? (as your asking "how do I?", then I'm guessing that it's probably not that recent??)

Before you go anywhere near the adjuster, take the drum off and oil the adjuster mechanism from the inside with a penetrating oil or WD40 (but do keep any oil away from the pads/shoes). Then put the adjuster spanner on and slowly rock it back and forth, further and further, until it moves freely. Then put the drum back on and adjust as before.

If you go head first for the adjuster and it's seized (as they often are), you will probably shear it straight off and then be back here asking for advice on how to remove and rebuild the whole back plate and brake assembly!

....As you may have guessed I learned that one the hard way!!! DOH!! >:lol:

#6 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

WO THERE!!!! hold off a minute!!!

When was the last time they were adjusted??? (as your asking "how do I?", then I'm guessing that it's probably not that recent??)

Before you go anywhere near the adjuster, take the drum off and oil the adjuster mechanism from the inside with a penetrating oil or WD40 (but do keep any oil away from the pads/shoes). Then put the adjuster spanner on and slowly rock it back and forth, further and further, until it moves freely. Then put the drum back on and adjust as before.

If you go head first for the adjuster and it's seized (as they often are), you will probably shear it straight off and then be back here asking for advice on how to remove and rebuild the whole back plate and brake assembly!

....As you may have guessed I learned that one the hard way!!! DOH!! >:lol:

Right will do now! Cheers! Any other hints or tips?

#7 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm going to attack this later today. Is it best to put the rear on axel stands to do both rears at the same time and to check even friction? Or just jack one side at a time?

Thanks again guys!

I tend to avoid taking more than one wheel off at a time if at all possible, as a car can fall still off axle stands! I always do one side at a time and have the car on axle stands with a trolley jack also still in place as a back up. This may seem like overkill to some, but a friend of mine had a beetle fall on top of him a few years back (and not the creepy crawly type either!!) so I have been a bit more cautious ever since!

#8 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

and while the wheel is off, make sure you oil the handbrake cable at the quadrants on the trailing arms, and at the subframe.

tension should be set to 3 clicks with a real good tug giving 4.

#9 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Thanks guys, it's made so much of a difference to my braking! I recently bled the brakes and put new front pads, but it was still a little low, adjusted the rear drums and I can feel the braking on all four corners. Tension is now at 3 clicks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users