#46 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Spit was the best thing I have invested in so far, great bit of kit and makes life soo much easier. As for locking it off, I have screws built into my spit to tighten up onto the scaffold bar i use fot the long pole bit, but they aren't strong enough to hold the weight so I just prop it on tyres or wood to stop it spinning.

So if yours works like mine then tyres are good. Looking forward for lots of pics matey !

Graham

#47 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Posted Image

I know this was against peoples advice and they said I should buy a full heel board, but I'm too tight! I'm tempted not to dress the welds as I don't see any need, (unless anyone has any different advice????) Unless the subframe fouls on it!

You can see where the cutting wasn't very good, and a bit had to be added in

On to the other side!

I bought a compressor off ebay the other day, the worst ebay listing in the world!
I was the only bidder! £50!

Air tools will be coming soon!

#48 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, full heel board, will be doing one next time for sure !! My end repair resulted in heat distortion and will have to use a spacer just to align the subframe up that 1mm I messed up !! Lesson learnt but it will be fine in the end. I too mess cuts up, lol, but what's an extra patch between us and out minis.

I semi dress my welds down, knock the tops off for a cleaner look, and as you say they won't be seen there. Nice work and speed up as me and Hugh are racing away lol !!

Graham

#49 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

I tacked it really well in place with the subframe still attached so i'm hoping I won't have any distortion! Unfortunately the events of this year have slowed things down but i'm getting back into it! Now to remove the other side

#50 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hi Carlos - that looks a great repair. I'm like you, only repair what you have to. I'm on a tight budget too. If you had an endless budget you'd just use a heritage shell!! I semi dress some welds, like Graham, but others I just leave. Seam sealer soon covers them anyway. No-one will see them!!

Would you listen to that Graham, he thinks he'll catch me up!! Actually he is doing well - he is more careful than me - just don't tell him that.

Hugh

Edited by hughJ, 03 November 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#51 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:35 PM

Once I get seam sealer, stone chip and paint on no body will see them, so I'd rather save the time and not risk thinning the metal!

#52 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Cut the other subframe mount out today, there was an awful repair patch which has been cut out!

I need to make a cardboard template to make a steel piece to fix the floor before I can put the mount in!

#53 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

After an interesting few months (long story) the project is progressing again! 80 quid worth of steel made me a spit! (Thanks to my mates for paying for the metal for my birthday) and thanks to Chris for his skill!

Hi Carlos,

just reading through your thread and it all looks good (apart from your hand vs grinder photo). I'm interested in how you made / fitted your spit as I'm going to have to do the same at some point. From the photo it looks like you've braced this on the top of the rear arches (welded?). Does the pole go through the length of the car or have you got separate ones front and back? What did you mount it on at the front? Any more photos of it etc?

At what point in the project did you put it on the spit? I see you'd already sorted the front end and step / sills. Was this just to get better access to the heal board and floor? I'm just trying to figure out what order to the replace all my panels in at at what point I should put it on the spit.

Thanks for any help

Chris

#54 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi Carlos,

just reading through your thread and it all looks good (apart from your hand vs grinder photo). I'm interested in how you made / fitted your spit as I'm going to have to do the same at some point. From the photo it looks like you've braced this on the top of the rear arches (welded?). Does the pole go through the length of the car or have you got separate ones front and back? What did you mount it on at the front? Any more photos of it etc?

At what point in the project did you put it on the spit? I see you'd already sorted the front end and step / sills. Was this just to get better access to the heal board and floor? I'm just trying to figure out what order to the replace all my panels in at at what point I should put it on the spit.

Thanks for any help

Chris

The hand vs grinder pic wasn't mine, someone else put it on the thread!

As for the spit, it has a length of scaffolding pole running through the middle of the car, this is then mounted to the front bulkhead and to the rear it is bolted through the shocker holes, and then to the parcel shelf!

Posted Image
Posted Image

I replaced the floor panels, flitch panels and door steps before it went on the spit, my concern was how strong the shell was before putting it onto the spit.

The spit has given me really good access to make a couple of floor repairs and sort the subframe mounting points

Edited by Carlos W, 18 November 2011 - 02:02 PM.

#55 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

that great Carlos, thanks for the pics

#56 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Just yell if you want to know anything else!

#57 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Posted Image

This is a rust sandwich, there are plates on both the inside and outside!

Tasks for this weekend, repair this and put in the new subframe mount

#58 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Epic patching you have there !! You made a good job of the otherside so I have every confidence in you with that little bit of rust you have to shift there.

Graham

#59 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

cut all three layers of metal out, then replaced them with this!
Posted Image

just need to dress the welds

#60 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

and fill that bit that looks like I've missed a bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users