• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

they did turbo the k series... you dont need all that crap.. evo has proven that with a 400 ish hp 1.4 running std internals and minimal head work.

read 16v mini forums. and rovertec.

Its a load of S***

i did a big more digging into it and they did a turbo BUT! and i will SAY BUT!! it was Built by lotus/ Caterham and it was a 1.8 Turbo

the 16v mini may have a standered 1.4 turbo but its not a proper turbo k series and the standered engine wasnt designed to take a turbo

#17 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

they did turbo the k series... you dont need all that crap.. evo has proven that with a 400 ish hp 1.4 running std internals and minimal head work.

Think you need to read again, a bit closer mate
Steve, wasn't having ago, as like you in the first place i was talking about the 1.4 as per Mattkjsmith first post.
Seems to have gone into a "Evolotion" is right thread though. :thumbsup:

Edited by charie t, 09 December 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#18 houlsby

houlsby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

irrc rover designed as a tax beating mid range rep mobile? as it falls into the cheaper tax band because its more efficient?

never heard about the caterham/lotus before. just thought it was a rover/mg thing.

as for the "the engines not designed to take a turbo" yes, i thought we all knew that, but.. if the engine isnt just "strap a turbo on and wind up the boost" style of build, actually thought through and researched, you can do it on std internals, with minimal headwork... i know.. as iv got one sat on my engine stand and done almost 2 years of reading up and following progress while i sort my rot box out!

#19 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

The amount of work involed in turboing a K series you need

Uprated crank (harded & cross drilled will help)
Uprated Conrods
Loads of head work (valves, guides, followers)
Piston upgrade
Oil Pump upgrade
Head Gasket Upgrade
Disel Gear box (standered wouldn't handle the turbo)

and they didn't turbo the K seires

it was the T Seires they Turbo'd Hense the "T" series engine

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :-

#20 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

with minimal headwork... i know.. as i've got one sat on my engine stand

does it run? what horse power have you made from it. And what boost pressure are you running?

#21 houlsby

houlsby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

was fitted to a metro when i bought it using a t20 turbo. ran on r5gtt carbs and also omex on a old style plenum. compression lowered using a 1.5mm shim and a old gasket. not sure what that takes the cr to.. would imagine its about 9:1?

guy said he thinks it made about 160 bhp. which considering its never been set up properly isnt too bad.

im running old style gasket, pulsar t28 and having some meat out the head by the machine shop. vvc plenum and 440cc injectors. emerald mdk (will upgrade to k2 when i get it mapped) running a modified 1.8t map when iv got it running. then off to norfolk to get it mapped.

trying my best not to copy his build, without changing everything i have to hand.

Edited by houlsby, 10 December 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#22 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

was fitted to a metro when i bought it using a t20 turbo. ran on r5gtt carbs and also omex on a old style plenum. compression lowered using a 1.5mm shim and a old gasket. not sure what that takes the cr to.. would imagine its about 9:1?

guy said he thinks it made about 160 bhp. which considering its never been set up properly isnt too bad.

im running old style gasket, pulsar t28 and having some meat out the head by the machine shop. vvc plenum and 440cc injectors. emerald mdk (will upgrade to k2 when i get it mapped) running a modified 1.8t map when iv got it running. then off to norfolk to get it mapped.

trying my best not to copy his build, without changing everything i have to hand.

Its not running a lot of boost then?

#23 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

i thought the Rover 75 did a 1.8 turbo model

#24 evolotion

evolotion

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Rover made a production turbocharged 1.8 k-series, this was made by powertrain i.e. the engine part of what was mg-rover group. This engine was nothing to do with lotus or caterham or any of the other vendors powertrain sold the engines onto.

this was essentially a standard 1.8, with the pistons from the 160hp VVC engine(stronger in the ring land area) and 2mm shorter conrods to lower compression, the engine made 160hp and 200ft'lb of torque if i recall correctly, and was indeed used in the rover 75 and mgZT-T. Turbocharger was a modern ball bearing unit, nice and small for lots of torque! the engine was not used in the lotus or caterham line-up, i feel you may be getting confused with the "VHPD" engine which was only used by caterham and lotus, and made 200hp without a turbocharger.

This is fact stevee :) a production turbo k.

#25 evolotion

evolotion

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

mate, copy away! why do you think i post all the details! .. to save you the heartache of broken bits that i have went through! :)

#26 miniman andy

miniman andy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: Tamworth Mini Maniacs

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

im doing the same, sounds all good to me that a 1.4 that im going to turbo seems the best way to go.
so,, so far im sticking to the plans. of what i got in mind. i'll be posting alot more on my "Thunderbird 2" thread very soon of what im up to.

but as all builds go im learning alot at im going along as to was is possible and what isn't from what im doing and what others have done. 
all hail the forums. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users