Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

hello red hot,

Howe is the build going? :o

Cheers G-J.

No real updates really, took delivery of the frame 2 weeks ago and currently cutting holes through the bulkhead for the front support bars and also cutting and welding a section in the floor tunnel for the left to right front floor support bar; was hoping to get pictures up today but ran out of welding gas :) so couldn't completely finish it off!

Will be topping this up on Monday so can crack on then and pop some piccies up, hopefully!

Also working on the internal boot hinges and custom opening bonnet; again nothing to show as welding issues have held me up.

Cheers

#17 De Blerende Beetle

De Blerende Beetle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

The TD04HL19T-6cm2 is the turbo for this engine.

#18 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

Not in standard form, but its a popular upgrade. I won't be going down that route though as the power I’m after can be achieved with a smaller turbo.

#19 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Not in standard form, but its a popular upgrade. I won't be going down that route though as the power I'm after can be achieved with a smaller turbo.

Whos up for betting that after a week RED HOT will change his mind on this?

#20 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

Whos up for betting that after a week RED HOT will change his mind on this?

If I wanted pure out and out power then I would, but it would be a lag monster without a rebuild and probably go bang without an upgrade too. A 16T would be the logical route, again can be a bit laggy but a direct swap so easier than the 19T; the 16 are good for near 300 and the 19 for 350+ :) , I would have gone for a different engine if that were the case, but I have plans for an absolute monster once this one is done :thumbsup: we'll just have to see :)

A few little updates whilst I'm here:-

Here's the floor recess I was referring too, I need to be finished on the rear which will be happening this week as mentioned up the page. You can also see the plate I welded in the bulkhead to remove the box that was installed as the previous owner had a Vauxhall lump installed up front.

Posted Image

As the front section of the frame was installed-ish and the welder was without gas I needed to get on with something else, this came in the form of cutting out the parcel shelf that I was holding back on until the frame arrived as to keep as much rigidity and strength in the back as possible.

All gone:-
Posted Image

I also chopped up and trial fitted my dash, and even if I do say so myself I’m quite pleased with the progress and outcome to date.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So that’s where I am to date. Plenty of stuff to get on with and I’ve got three weeks of at Christmas so hopefully I’ll crack on and get the rear end in and the front frame too and all connected together.

Hopefully I’ll have all the pieces to complete my doors assembly’s too; here’s a sneaky peak, but still have loads to do as they were/are far from simple to fit!! Have had to change to Mk1 style sliding windows, but that’s not all bad :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for reading and update you all soon

Cheers
Kev

#21 jntabbycat

jntabbycat

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Those handles look great. Aston Martin comes to mind. Nice one, like it a lot.

Edited by jntabbycat, 12 December 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#22 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Those handles look great. Aston Martin comes to mind. Nice one, like it a lot.

Indeed, V8 Vantage jobbies, just hope they'll work ok!! O_O

#23 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

They look cool. What you doing about locks? Is it just going to be remote?

#24 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

They look cool. What you doing about locks? Is it just going to be remote?

In a way the handles are the locks!! they have a mechanism that moves to prevent it from being pulled / opened, where Aston use an additional lock I’ll simply be using solenoids and an RFID locking kit to engage / disengage; or at least thats the plan, the final piece of the puzzle was delivered the weekend so this weekend I’ll be trying it all out.

#25 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hi Kev,

Kit arrived today.Just wondering, did you get a fuel tank in the kit?
Hows progress?

Cheers

#26 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi Kev,

Kit arrived today.Just wondering, did you get a fuel tank in the kit?
Hows progress?

Cheers

Good news on the kit; I'll jump on your thread later to ask a few more questions.

Should come as part of the front frame. I don't have mine yet as I'm having a few changes made to it due to under bonnet extras!! Mainly a relocated filler nothing that special.

Progress slow due to weather but have done a few bits so will update over Christmas and new year, mainly body work and have actually gone backwards as the zeemax kit has now been removed-ish!!

Edited by RED HOT, 23 December 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#27 G-J

G-J

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hey,

Hows progress?

and wich dash are you using?

Cheers G-J

#28 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

Right, been meaning to update for a while and with the prompt above here it is....

Been working mainly on body work and concentrating on the bonnet, boot door and external hinge fitment.

The bonnet and boot had a few dents which needed to be sorted as to did the mechanisms for opening / closing, but they are staying under cover until I’ve perfected them fully :)

The hinges needed a serious refurbishment as they were rather rusty had broken studs in them and the profiles for the front and rear parts didn't match... and there is no way I could live with that.

First job was to smooth the doors to match the profiles of the 'A' panel and rear qtr's. These too were a little off and the door gaps needed to be as even as possible as they would stick out like a sore thumb!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Side repeaters also flushed for their new location :proud:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I lost the before shot unfortunately, but trust me when I say this is a serious improvement on bonnet profile and gap; It’s actually got a new lower section welded in position as the bonnet needed to be lifted by 2-3mm so it was level with the wings. Still needs a little bit of work, but 95% finished
Posted Image

I’ve also opened up the front indicator holes to take the custom ones I’m having made
Posted Image

I don’t have a shot of the boot lid, but nothing much to see to be honest. Same with the bonnet.

To answer the above question I am making a Honda S2000 dash fit. I’ve done the initial fitment which can be seen earlier in this thread.

I’m still working on the hinges for the offside, I’ll post the pictures of the before on this side for comparison! And once that is all done its time to fit the rear frame and door bars etc so I can trial fit the seats, finish the dash and manufacture / design the centre console / tunnel.

If all goes well this week I should be fitting the rear frame section next weekend :(

So that’s its, it doesn’t look like a great deal of progress, but the bodywork has been time consuming to get it how I wanted

#29 minimalal

minimalal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

some real hard work gone into this, may not look like a massive amount of progress but it will look fantastic when its all finished!

#30 RED HOT

RED HOT

Fantasy F1 Winner 2011

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

some real hard work gone into this, may not look like a massive amount of progress but it will look fantastic when its all finished!

Appreciate the comment, its nice when people understand the amount of work that goes into something that doesn’t look that impressive and sounds like a simple job.

I plan to have it on the road for this summer so I need to pull my finger out!

I have a list of jobs that need doing and in which order etc. (very anal I know ;) ), they all sound like 2 minute jobs, but when you get into them you fall upon the unseen and they take a lot longer than planned, but I’d rather do it properly the once than re-do bits I rushed just to save a few minutes here and there.

The next time I update it should be with the frames fitted ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users