84 replies to this topic

#1 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Ello :thumbsup: Im after 5 things at the mo.....

1. Speakers for the rear, want them to be good quality, and look nice and shineychromey when turned upside down. (around £60?)
2. Amp to power them (and possibly 2 smaller 4" or 5" speakers) (Around £100?
3. Sub, Sounds stupid but Im after one thats Red?? but cant always have the look and the sound *Cries* (£60 - £100?)
4. Amp to Power the Sub. (£100?)
5. Nice Head unit to finish is off. (not sure of the price?)

Above are my rough prices, any more or less isnt too much of a problem if its really worth the extra cash.

So can anyone be kind enough to help me out and suggest what I should go for?

All the best

Tom

#2 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

If it was my cash and my Mini....

1. I really don't know...I can't find anything shiny!
2. JBL 75.4 or Magnat Rock 600 (or 800 if you can stretch to it)
3. Sony Xplod (*gags*) Though even the new ones are silver now...hoorah!
4. Didn't read this before...you save yourself some wiring if you just get a meaty 4ch amp :thumbsup: The ones above would do, but you could always get something a bit higher up...perhaps the JBL 755.6
5. A few nice offers on CAD at the moment: www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/specials.php

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

i have just bought a jbl 75.4 ampo and 12 inch jbl sub and jbl 6.5 inch components for the front.

All run from a H&B usb headunit.

Haven't fitted it all yet but it looks pretty good quality kit for the money.

#4 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

Ello :thumbsup:
1. Speakers for the rear, want them to be good quality, and look nice and shineychromey when turned upside down. (around £60?)

Okay i'm a little bit confused by this one, do you actually want to mount the speakers upside down? if so what type of speakers are you planning on doing this with?

Anyway lets say you have a budget of around £500 (from what you listed + headunit).

Best way is to keep things simple, mount a pair of 5" or 6" components up front ideally in some kick builds/pods or you could fit them in the dash or doors.

JBL P6550c £120

Then fit a sub in the boot in a sealed enclosure (keeps things simpler when building box allows for an easier

JBL GTO 1202D £50

Now you need an amp to power the above

JBL GTO755.6 £130
If you bridge this amp it will run 3 channels (160 Watts x 2 + 300 watts x 1 at 4 ohms)

That leaves you with £200 to spend on a headunit

I'd go for this
Pioneer DEH-P7700MP

This will leave you with £50 remaining towards installation materials, leads, wiring etc.

#5 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

Thanks alot guys :thumbsup:

Philster, Love that amp, pretty sure I will get that, Could I run 2 front speakers off of a head unit? Just looked at the dimensions of that amp, its bloody huge! hope I could fit it where I want :thumbsup:

So id be able to power 2 rear speakers and a sub from that amp? not looking for anything real loud, just want good sound quality (and looks) if possible. Dont worry, I wouldnt go as far as to get a sony Xplod sub just to have a red one hehe.

Mutant and audiobahn speakers look good turned upside down, any opinions on their quality?

Thanks again! big help!

Tom

#6 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

you could get a 75.4 as that is smaller?

you can run that in three channel mode

#7 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

Its the height that might be the problem and they are both the same =(

Im sure Ill suss something out, Could have it on the parcel shelf and see how long it takes to get nicked :thumbsup:

Thanks miniboo.

Tom

#8 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

Just been out to my mini and all I need is about an extra 1cm and I can fit it! I dont think I can get that though =(

Does this amp look any good to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tom

#9 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:32 AM

where are you trying to fit it?

#10 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

Take a looksy at this pic.....

http://pobsplace.net...../Mini 985.jpg

I want it just on the top of the "back rest" but the horizonal bar from the rollcage is as far down as I can go...

Tom

#11 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:33 AM

Whats the best sub for me to fit? im worried about the depth on a 12" sub, Im not after loud bass, Id much rather have really crisp clean bass if you know what I mean.

Alot of the music I listen to has complicated bass riffs that you usually wouldnt hear too well with standard speakers. I wouldnt mind getting 2 8" subs if that would sound better for the sort of music I listen to?

I may get a head unit and 2 6" coaxial speakers for now, I can just put them in the rear where the old ones were and run them off of a new head unit.

then get saving for sub(s), Amp and front speakers.

In the end I would like to run 1 or 2 subs (1 x 12" or maybe 2 x 8"?), 6" coaxial speakers turned upside down in the rear. 2 speakers in the front (may have to be 4")

Can I power 2 subs and the rear speakers from this amp....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

And 2 front speakers from a head unit? Or would that amp power all of them?

Sorry if theres any stupidity in these questions hehe, Ive been motorcycling all my life and never had anything to do with cars up until about a month ago, Used to be a race bike technician but car engines still confuse me :thumbsup:

Thanks alot for all the help lads.

Tom

#12 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

best to use he amp to power the sub and the two fronts.

then use the rear speakers off the headunit as they will just be providing a bit of rear fill.

you want the soundstage nearer to the front and the rears will pull it back.

I think that kenny amp is just a two channel. I would suggest a 4 channel amp the you can bridge two of them for the sub and then the other two for the fronts.

A 10 inch sub will give you nice tight sounding bass

#13 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

That amp is only good for powering a sub (or subs) It's a D-class mono amp...would be useless at powring anything else

Inverting mid range speakers? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You can do with fine with subs due to them only producing low frequencies....

A single 10" sub would be fine, as would 2 x 8"s or a 12" :thumbsup: Any sub can do fast bass...it's all about the enclosure, power and how well it blends in with the other speakers (mid bass is a big thing here...4" speakers and an 18" will always sound messy, but if you have a meety enough front end it can blend in fine)

I think a single sealed 10" sub, of decent quality with enough power will do a good job in your situation :thumbsup:

#14 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

"cries" I cant put the speakers the right way up as the wont fit =( whats wrong with turning them upside down? I keep getting different people telling me different things, my friends say to turn them upside down, are they just talking rubbish?

gonna have to re-do my design if they cant go upside down though =(

I searched for that amp under multi-channel too?

Thanks alot for the help :thumbsup:

Tom

#15 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

Well, you can try having them inverted! I've never had a go myself, but the fact that I've never seen it done makes me think there's a reason for it!

That amp is a singe channel sub-only amp...not sure what you mean about searching for it under multi channel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users