84 replies to this topic

#31 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:59 PM

well, you guys seem very particular about sound so if you say not to bother with rears I know I dont need em!

Did you see the kenwood amp that I put a link to on car audio direct? Is it any good for what I want? I like the look of it alot and Its the right size, also, all the wiring would go vertically so it could go straight into the sub box and then distribute nessisary wires around the car.

the pic in your avatar of the interior, has a PS2 controller in it, dont suppose you could show me a pic of it full size could you? looks interesting :thumbsup:

All the best

Tom

#32 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

http://www.caraudiod...a1f53fc90eae342

Any Idea if this head unit can be used with any MP3 player? I use a creative zen micro. It say's iPod but is it iPod specific?

Tom

#33 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

i think it allows for the headunit to control ipod functions not just play the music. You can use an aux in lead with most of the pioneer range which allows any external source to be played into it (i use it for the audio on my ps2).

The lead is about £25 but you can make your own with the diagram for the pin outs on the back of the headunit, i know someone who has it *cough* *cough*.

Here's a better pic of the ps2, the interior is slightly different now so will take a new one as soon as i get chance.

Posted Image

#34 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

Did you see the kenwood amp that I put a link to on car audio direct? Is it any good for what I want?

it looks alright but what speakers is it powering?

I've run a mono kenwood for years and its been bullet proof (never even blown a fuse), its about 6 years old now.

#35 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

Did you look at this one?

http://www.caraudiod...d1ba7d0399c37b1

Id like it to power 2 subs and speakers, or maybe just 2 subs and power the front speakers off the head unit? or should I just power them all from the amp? (if possible)

I think ill only be able to fit 5" comp speakers in that little gap aswell, you suggested the JBL 6.5" ones but they wont fit, JBL do the same componant set but with a 5" speaker, would this do the job?

All the best

Tom

#36 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:36 PM

the 5" jbl's would do the job fine.

The amp is 70watts per channel rms and so are the JBL components so its fine for powering them. The only problem comes in the fact that you are powering 2 subs and the amp only provides 200watts rms bridged so it will struggle with the subs.

What subs were you thinking of getting?

#37 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Whats subs would you suggest? I either want 2 10" ones or 2 8" ones whatever you think is best.

dont want to be spending a massive amount on them, lemme know what you reccomend and ill see what I can afford hehe

All the best

Tom

#38 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:04 PM

Ideally I would like some subs that would be able to fit in a perfect pyramid shaped box, 10" nearly fills each side of the box but still enough room in the box for a sub? so ideally, one with a small mounting depth and a small diameter magnet if you understand what I mean lol. Damn im complicated!

Could that Amp be bridged into 2 channels? 1 for each sub? if so, Would there be enough power?

Tom

#39 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:19 AM

do you have to use 2 subs? on the budget you've got (around £500? for the full system) were gonna struggle.

You could fit a pair of these, they are 150watts rms each so could be powered easily by the 6 channel JBL amp running in 3 channel mode.

Alpine SWL-1042

#40 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

I dont mind stretching a bit :w00t:

Tom

#41 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

What about a pair of these

RE Audio RE10 v2

They are 175watts rms so still within the reaches of the amp, thats the limitng factor really if you go for more powerful subs then you need a more powerful amp for them so the costs increase a fair bit.

You need to have the fronts and the subs amped otherwise the components will be underpowered and will sound poo (and not last very long).

You can get cheaper subs than the RE but they tend to have rms figures of around 300watts so you'd need an amp capable of either 600rms at 2ohm or 2x300rms at 4 ohm which is gonna cost. Don't be fooled by the low rms figure i'd bet my money on them outperforming anything else up to that kind of money.

Alternatively could you not use a single 12?

#42 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

I was looking at those subs, I dont have my music mega loud so I rekon they would do. I like the JBL amp but I cant fit it in =(

Would this head unit do the job? http://www.caraudiod...d1ba7d0399c37b1

Thanks again for the help.

#43 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:03 PM

I get so lost on this forum...I don't know why

Where are we with your amp choice now? The RE subs could be a brilliant choice, but only if the amp is man enogh to power them...

That HU looks fine :w00t:

#44 RustyFuknut

RustyFuknut

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

is this amp man enough?

http://www.caraudiod...d1ba7d0399c37b1

The head unit is 50W RMS per channel, does that mean it would have trouble with 70W RMS componant speakers?

Thanks matey :w00t:

Tom

#45 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:25 PM

No and no...head units are 50w MAX. That equates to about 20w RMS

And no, that amp isn't man enough to power the subs :w00t: But it's ok for the components

I don't think anything within your budger will give enough power for the 2 x RE's, so I guess we'll have to scrub that idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users