#31 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

jesus hats of to you i would have been tempted to go down the reshell route but thats illegal unless a genuine bodyshell so really hes restoring this mini the only way he can with out buying a brand new shell

#32 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

How long did this sit outside , mine sat under a bush for 15 years LOL :(
Good luck mate , how long you reckon it'll take?

#33 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

How long did this sit outside , mine sat under a bush for 15 years LOL :(
Good luck mate , how long you reckon it'll take?

This was in the hedge for at least 10 years. It's interesting that although it is pretty rusty the replacement panel list is virtually the same as most of the serious restorations on here. But I don't have to spend any time deciding whether to replace or not. I'm hoping to have something pretty complete by spring. It all depends on how quick I can get the shell rebuilt.

#34 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:35 AM

jesus mate! thats alot less car than i thought it would of been! i would of been tempted to find a better shell, even a later one, and retro fit the roof from this one to retain the drip rails, and retro fit the mk3 front subframe, other than that (as its not a early mk3 which retained the hole in the rear seat like mk1s and 2s) the shells aint much different.

good luck with it though, will be amazing to see it rise like a bluetit from the bushes (instead of a phoenix from the ashes) lol

I did consider reshelling. Or just buying another car. This project is constantly being evaluated. If I can't get some of the initial panels to fit straight then I'll cut my loses. On the positive side the pasenger side of the mini isn't as bad. The sills are virtually complete & rear quarter is almost good enough to reuse. I haven't put any pics of the pasenger side on yet.

#35 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

Just an update. The boot floor is out, the mini now has no butt..! Next out will be the heel board. Good news is the new heel board is raring to go back into the space left. Don't worry folks there's lots of bracing & loads of measurements taken. I packed the scrap parts into a wheel barrow. Like a rusty DIY mini kit.

Attached Files

#36 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

I like your bravery but!!! have you worked out just how much you are going to spend on panels?? So far my boy on his project has spent close on £2k on panels alone and that is with me fabricating some as well.

Judging by your pictures you will be lucky if you have any panels that can be truly saved.

All i can say is good luck, you will need it.

#37 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

I like your bravery but!!! have you worked out just how much you are going to spend on panels?? So far my boy on his project has spent close on £2k on panels alone and that is with me fabricating some as well.

Judging by your pictures you will be lucky if you have any panels that can be truly saved.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I agree that there won't be many original panels left. The passenger side isn't as bad as the drivers side. So good to help maintain some shape & as reference. I worked out the cost of panels. Managed to get some heritage panels from ebay which has kept the costs down. Ultimately ignoring my time & effort it's still alot cheaper than a new shell. I've been enjoying reading your project thread, very informative & inspiring. That squab repair will be studied closely for mine.

#38 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I agree that there won't be many original panels left. The passenger side isn't as bad as the drivers side. So good to help maintain some shape & as reference. I worked out the cost of panels. Managed to get some heritage panels from ebay which has kept the costs down. Ultimately ignoring my time & effort it's still alot cheaper than a new shell. I've been enjoying reading your project thread, very informative & inspiring. That squab repair will be studied closely for mine.

Fair play to you, whatever you do do not add up how many hours you have spent prepping the shell, we are just starting year two now and hopefully by the end of November i will have finally finished the welding.
Tomorrow after we have looked at a clubbie i will finish the floor so after that will be all of the niff naff stuff and then it will be sealant,filler and sanding ready for paint. That bit i cannot wait for. :) :errr:

Glad to see my fabrication of parts is helping other members. :P

#39 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

I just showed this my dad and said "see, mine's not THAT bad".

Hats off to you, I will be following this closely!

#40 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Local Club: a's of herts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

good luck like to see it when its finished hope you find all the parts you need keep up the good work

#41 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

I just showed this my dad and said "see, mine's not THAT bad".

Hats off to you, I will be following this closely!

Glad my car is of use already!

But thanks folks for the positive encouragement.

I bought virtually all the last panels today. I now have about 90% of a mini shell in my dining room.
Just gotta start patiently welding in the nice new stuff. It's gonna be a big jigsaw puzzle.

#42 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ok folks. weekly update. I've been slowly chiseling, grinding & drilling off the heel board. I've been gentle with it to preserve the position with the floor panel.
A shot of what was left of the rear subframe first & then a shot of the not so bad passenger side.

Attached Files

#43 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Heel board was prepped & screwed in place for now.
Rear subframe temporarliy bolted in place (supported underneath) to get boot floor & bolt holes.
Boot floor prepped.
Boot floor welded in to what was possible.

Attached Files

#44 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Boot floor from behind.

Attached Files

#45 mini danny

mini danny

I am a mini daddy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

Coming along nicely you really are brave doing this mini would love to see it when its finished keep it going :thumbsup:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users