24 replies to this topic

#1 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:54 PM

Is there/does anyone know an easy way to cut through the parcel sheft, i recently brought two 6"x9"s and wanted to put them on the parcel shelf of my mini, however im finding it hard to get through the parcel sheft :erm:

Cheese.

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:07 PM

Im certain its part of the bodyshell, i would just make some wood frames so you dont have to cut thru the metal, my mate used a metal jigsaw to cut his a few years ago, another option would be to mount them under the rear seats and there are some templates knocking around sumwhere.

#3 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:08 PM

yeh i already have two speakers under the rear seats, decided it wasnt quite loud enought tho :)
Will see if i can get hold of a jigsaw now then :) or get me dad to knock up some frames or something :)

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

Parcel shelf can be cut through, don't worry about the strength unless you're gonna make like 500 holes in it... It's the back seat that shouldn't be cut a lot...

How do you cut the holes? Good question. I'd go to someone with a welder, draw circles on the parcel shelf, cut the metal out using a welder, and then use a grinder or even a file to smooth it out!

#5 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:58 PM

im cutting some atm, just drilling loads of holes(easier if u take out the rear screen, iv got the petrol tank out too) and then get the grinder or dremel out to finish it, iv got a plank of mdf to make a stealth shelf and give regidity so the speaker dont distort easily.

my system- infinity 6x9's in rear shelf and 10cm kenwoods in the front dash board and a rockford fosgate head unit, so far cost

10cm- free from scrappy
6x9's £43 from work with discount
headunit- £96

#6 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

cool :)
i was thinking of taking out the petrol tank to make more room and make it easier to make holes, only problem i have is putting it back in (im really good at taking things apart, but not very good at putting things back together afterwards :gasp: ), how hard is it to take out and put back in again???

Im abit of a beginner by the way, so my skills arent brilliant :grin:

#7 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:14 AM

When I put 6"x9"s on the parcel shelf I drilled about 20 holes in the shape of the speakers then got out my tin snips and cut out the shape.

Mabey not the best way but it worked and I didnt have a jigsaw.

I didnt remove the fule tank but when I was drilling, I put a big bit of wood above it to protect the tank.

#8 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

The fuel tank itself is held in by a steel strap which is bolted behind the light cluster. Unbolt it and bend the strap out the way, then you have to remove the rubber seal round the filler neck (should lever out pretty easy) and then take the cap off and move the tank aside. You should be able to tilt it away enough to clear as it would be a pain to remove without getting fuel all over the place.
It should go back pretty easy, the only problem is getting the rubber seal back in - with plenty of time and some vaseline or somethin it shud go back in. Personaly if you think theres a chance of hitting the tank with the drill then move it out as they can be quite expensive to replace if you damage it.
Hope this helps!

#9 Alex1340

Alex1340

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:33 PM

i cut my hole for the 6x9s but making a template for the placement then used a jigsaw from the boot upsidedown then when you can't cut above the fuel tank i used a hacksaw blade and some tape just to finesh it off. no need to take the tank out or the rear window.
Alex.

#10 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

cool :)
sounds like quite an easy way of doing it :)
Gonna have to see which way i find easiest, by me i actually mean my dad since hes better at this sort of thing than iam, and he probably wouldnt trust me with anything that could chop me hand off :gasp:

#11 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

"yeh i already have two speakers under the rear seats, decided it wasnt quite loud enought tho "

Try this for size.... 2 6x9's under the rear seat, 2 13cm on the parcel shelf, 2 10cm in the front, a Kenwood mini(appropriate! :) )disc head unit, and a 300w amp in the companion box..... Loud enough so I don't hear all the various squeaks and groans my car picks up from time to time! The under-seat panel was cheap and easy (covered in Halford's special acoustic carpet), the parcel shelf easily holds 13cm, and the amp was on sale for a mere £35.00... the only part of any expense was the head unit! Now I'm working on boxing in the 10cm's - they're currently sitting naked on the shelf in front! :)

#12 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:52 PM

sounds nice :)
at the moment i have two 6"x9"s under the rear seats, but i also dont think this is loud enough :saywhat: so i decided it wanted to put two on the parcel sheft aswell

Hpefully this will satisfy my needs for loudness! :)

#13 Alex1340

Alex1340

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:59 AM

right ok amp your 6x9s in the rear and get a set of either 10cm or 13cm in the front from the head unit and u won't need anything else.
i amped my 6x9s and u get big sound out of them.
Alex.

#14 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:14 PM

where u put the speakers in the front?

#15 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

amped 6x9s aslong as they are decent are extreemly bassy, iv herd some that were amped off a vibe black box 2 that gave more bass than a 12 inch splx sub(not hard i know) but made the car shake.

il b amping my 6x9s and iv got 2 10cm int he dash, bit tinny though lacks mid atm so would proabably go for 13cm if u can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users