45 replies to this topic

#16 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

I got a quote yesterday for £550 fully comprehensive on my own policy which means I'll build up my own no claims bonus with £500 excess. I'm 17, and this is for when I pass (I set the start date as my test date) and this quote is valid for a month (my test is in less than a month) so look like i'm sorted for insurance! goes to show you can get it cheap if you shop around :) Oh and I also get free cover abroad in most european countries, not that I could drive in a lot of them :crazy:
I'm very happy with this quote :dontgetit:

Who from?
Don't keep it a secret!

Aviva :thumbsup:

#17 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

I got a quote yesterday for £550 fully comprehensive on my own policy which means I'll build up my own no claims bonus with £500 excess. I'm 17, and this is for when I pass (I set the start date as my test date) and this quote is valid for a month (my test is in less than a month) so look like i'm sorted for insurance! goes to show you can get it cheap if you shop around :) Oh and I also get free cover abroad in most european countries, not that I could drive in a lot of them :crazy:

Who from?
Don't keep it a secret!

I hate to say it but it seems wrong.
Best prices from companies on price comparison websites for for daughter, same details as yourself near enough, in a cheap area have been £1400 or so. Even Footman James, tpf&f were around £550.
I would have expected about £1500 maybe, even £2000.
Try getting another quote, with a made up name and a similar post code, for a similar car, go off the model not the reg, just to make sure there is no mistake around the corner.

#18 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Who from?
Don't keep it a secret!

I hate to say it but it seems wrong.
Best prices from companies on price comparison websites for for daughter, same details as yourself near enough, in a cheap area have been £1400 or so. Even Footman James, tpf&f were around £550.
I would have expected about £1500 maybe, even £2000.
Try getting another quote, with a made up name and a similar post code, for a similar car, go off the model not the reg, just to make sure there is no mistake around the corner.

Absolutely no mistake, have checked all details by both emailing and phoning :crazy:

#19 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

I got a quote yesterday for £550 fully comprehensive on my own policy which means I'll build up my own no claims bonus with £500 excess. I'm 17, and this is for when I pass (I set the start date as my test date) and this quote is valid for a month (my test is in less than a month) so look like i'm sorted for insurance! goes to show you can get it cheap if you shop around :) Oh and I also get free cover abroad in most european countries, not that I could drive in a lot of them :thumbsup:

dont be fooled mate,

my cousin got her car at 17 and got insured on it so she could do extra hours in her own car to gain more confidence,
her quote was about £700, she was happy and was told it definately would not go up once she past.

anyway, she past phoned her insurers to say her license was now pink and no longer green, low and behold, her premium got out up within a couple of days by £1000, and she was told over the phone it would not go up when she first got the quote.

#20 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

dont be fooled mate,

my cousin got her car at 17 and got insured on it so she could do extra hours in her own car to gain more confidence,
her quote was about £700, she was happy and was told it definately would not go up once she past.

anyway, she past phoned her insurers to say her license was now pink and no longer green, low and behold, her premium got out up within a couple of days by £1000, and she was told over the phone it would not go up when she first got the quote.

The £550 is for when I pass... the insurance isn't valid until I've passed and will start at the earliest on December 1st. I have discussed all this :thumbsup:
Adam

#21 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

I am 17 i got a quote with FJ for 850 on a 1275 but i havent declared any of my mods like wide wheels, full exhaust system, uprated brakes and air filter i would just keep the roll cage and just dont tell them, i also wont tell them when i strip it out and roll cage it.

yeah same, i didn't declare any of my mods either :)

then you're insurance is void.

#22 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

But it's also illegal. It's not even that much more. I have alloys, new tires, air filter, bucket seats, custom exhaust & flip up CD player. Insurance quote is £750

#23 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

But it's also illegal. It's not even that much more. I have alloys, new tires, air filter, bucket seats, custom exhaust & flip up CD player. Insurance quote is £750

Footman James or a mainstream insurer?

#24 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

Footman James

#25 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:30 AM

how thick can you be if you dont declare mods! if somebody bumps into you, you are screwed! because the other insurance company wont pay put for your car to be fixed or pay out if mods arent declared! most mods, as in aesthetical mods dont actually increase your policy by that much! were talking roll cages, superchargers, stripped out interior, induction kits, straight cut gears, cranks, cams, bores etc that increase the policys!

i was 19, got insured on my mini with footman james for 6000 miles, tpft with all these mods declared for under 600 a year!:

- Wide wheels
- Wide arches
- "Custom" stickers
- Bucket seats
- Harness
- carpets
- door cards
- rear seat cover
- stereo head unit
- speakers
- maniflow exhaust system
- hi los
- uprated discs
- uprated pads
- kyb self adjust shocks
- chrome grill
- spots
- fogs
- door handles
- bulb conversion kit for headlights

so you know, its not as if you cant make your mini your own with out having to break the bank on insurance! theres enough there to keep you happy tinkering with your mini for a few years while you become less of a risk!

#26 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

i think you need to take into account peoples situations, such as where they live,

mistro i see your from the countryside, try getting insurance with all your mods at some post codes in birmingham and youll see why people do the above,

a 998 and 1275 look very similar, in a bump the chances of the insurer pulling the engine out and measuring it to find its actual size is zero, its not worth the time and effort (money) hence why people dont declare engine swaps.

im not condoning the above, ive thought about doing the same just never have.

#27 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

im actually very close to birmingham, only about 30 mins drive away and car thefts are quite common in that area!

#28 retroracer1275

retroracer1275

Super Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

i got a quote of £513 with arches and stripped out interior with 6000 miles

im 17 and its a 998

footman james is the way to go

#29 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

Not declaring modifications to insurers is bad practise, stupid and irresponsible.
As stated in the event of an accident your insurance will be null and void .
TMF do not condone such actions , in addition a reminder that this is a public forum that anyone can view , you never know who is watching.

#30 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

i think you need to take into account peoples situations, such as where they live,

mistro i see your from the countryside, try getting insurance with all your mods at some post codes in birmingham and youll see why people do the above,

a 998 and 1275 look very similar, in a bump the chances of the insurer pulling the engine out and measuring it to find its actual size is zero, its not worth the time and effort (money) hence why people dont declare engine swaps.

im not condoning the above, ive thought about doing the same just never have.

No, the loss adjuster will just check the engine number, and if it's not the one on the V5, he'll walk away, and notify VOSA on the way out. If it's your company, your insurance will be cancelled, and they won't pay out. If it's the third party, they'll contact your company, and your insurance will be cancelled again. Then you'll be fighting on your own for your money.

Edited by mikey72, 11 November 2010 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users