10 replies to this topic

#1 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

ok guys, so this is my first topic and first post after introducing myself. This weekend i am planning on removing the engine from our 1999 mini. The only thing i am unsure about is removing the gear linkage...

So, before we get stuck into things, could somebody give me me a quick explanation on removing the gear linkage

cheers :ph34r:

#2 KSTANDSTEVE

KSTANDSTEVE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

You will need to remove the roll pin at the gearbox end of the linkage. This can be a bit tricky but easiest if you get yourself a drift for driving it out. It can still be an awkward job even with the tool!

Good luck

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

You need to put the car in reverse to get best access to the roll pin. Do this first before your remove all your engine steadies and thing, because as I find it can be hard to get in gear once the engines moved.

They you need to drift the roll pin out with a punch. Minispares sell the proper punch which makes it easier because it has a lug on the top to locate the punch into the roll pin.

#4 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

As the guys have said, you need a punch to remove the pin - I bought these when I started re-building my Mini and I can't tell you how many times I have used them now - best money I have spent!

Also, if you are new to all this (I was) get yourself the Haynes manual - it really is invaluable...

Also (can you have two alsos?), check out some of the suppliers web sites like Somerford - they have 'exploded' views of all parts of the car and can give you huge amounts of information on how it all comes apart (and hopefully goes back together again)...

Also (I'm on a roll now) try searching Youtube, you'll be surprised at how much useful stuff has been uploaded on there...

#5 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

thanks guys. I've done some 'googleing' and what not, so lets see how things go

last thing, does anyboddy know what size punch i will need?

i'm sorry for being such a noob....

#6 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

thanks guys. I've done some 'googleing' and what not, so lets see how things go

last thing, does anyboddy know what size punch i will need?

i'm sorry for being such a noob....

Buy a set, I guarantee you'll find them invaluable....

#7 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

i had real difficulty with this. I didn't buy the punch (didnt help lol!), but i used a watch repair screwdriver, that worked really well. The key is to support the linkage with a block of wood so it doesn't move! The get a big hammer and whack it! i tried for ages, then found a BF hammer and smacked it really hard. after a few hits, it popped out. Dont reuse the pins though!!

#8 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

thanks, turned out it was the most simplest thing to do ever!.... atleast i'l know in future.

#9 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • 1,547 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

i know know the imperial size but 5mm punch will do ya. also why do you say not use the roll pin again? these can be used again and again so long as they are not damaged it will go back in. a mini gearlink roll pin is tempered to withstand a hell alot of stress, think how many times the cars changed gears in its lifetime and most pins have bin in and out a few times and will prob outlast the shell....

#10 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

i know know the imperial size but 5mm punch will do ya. also why do you say not use the roll pin again? these can be used again and again so long as they are not damaged it will go back in. a mini gearlink roll pin is tempered to withstand a hell alot of stress, think how many times the cars changed gears in its lifetime and most pins have bin in and out a few times and will prob outlast the shell....

I think Haynes recommends new pins?

They're as cheap as chips so I ordered new while getting the other parts I needed.

#11 Surfbluegarage

Surfbluegarage

AKA mini_mad_daps

• Traders
  • 1,547 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

haynes also says that you should check camshaft endfloat with the timing gear off the camshaft hahahaha aahh the haynes book of lies..lol
personal preference again isn't it.. entirely up to you.. never bought one in my life and probably never will unless its defo shagged but thts just me lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users