90 replies to this topic

#1 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

hi everyone, i have came across this 1960s C registered morris mini (EL##1C) The floor has completely gone, as has the boot floor, drivers side inner and outer sills and the complete cross section. is this too far gone to save.

i have asked about a price, the guy is going to have a think about it.

camlatest174.jpg

camlatest173.jpg

camlatest172.jpg

camlatest170.jpg

camlatest167.jpg

Edited by frodmyster, 05 December 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

The guy is going to "think about it"? He should jump at any offer or be paying you to remove it from his property.

It is very sad to see a car reach the state where plants are growing through it. Whenever I see a pitiful old car like that I take a moment and think...
"There was a time when a person went to a dealership and said 'I want that one' and the little car went home as someone's pride and joy".
It is so sad to see something great fall so far.

#3 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

hi everyone, i have came across this 1960s b registered morris mini. the floor has completely gone, as has the boot floor, drivers side inner and outer sills and the complete cross section. is this too far gone to save.

i have asked about a price, the guy is going to have a think about it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pictures are heartbreaking - I hope she can be saved!

#4 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

it is a great shame, its all there apart for the rear screen , headlights and grille. i dont know what to do. there is nothing of the floor left but if i can get it for next to nothing strip all the parts of it to the bare rotten shell. i could then see what its left with. even the sliding windows, and external hinges are there but its full of cr*p :)(

my thought exactly was that this was once someones pride and joy in the 60s and 70s. its been there for 20 years now.

what do you think on a price then?

Edited by frodmyster, 19 November 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#5 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

Yes with an unlimited budget it could be saved, but seem to be venturing into insanity territory - I'd put a fiver on it disintegrating if any movement was attempted, if you're set on a mk 1 then spares recover anything remotely usable form this one and look for a better prospect...

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

I would have to say run away, that would basically be a re shell. Its a shame but that's life. We can rebuild them as many people have done and are doing but my bag of miracles have all been used up on project Erm.

#7 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

As long as all the panels that are rotten are still available and its bought at the right price, I'd say go for it!

Im half way through my mk1 restoration, so far ive done roof, new complete floor, boot floor, wheel arches 1/4 panels etc.. and it really isn't that bad.

I think mine worked out to be about £1600 which is essentially a new shell. :)

#8 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

spoke to the guy just, only phoned him as i forgot to leave him my number. asked him if he'd thought of a price, he said they have been busy this morning. he reckons that it does'nt really matter about the rot, the car is a basis for a classic early mini restoration http://www.theminifo...MO_DIR#/huh.png just said im not looking at paying a fortune for it. to be honest £50 would be a fair price but I would probably go as high as 100£http://www.theminifo...O_DIR#/grin.gif

Edited by frodmyster, 19 August 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

Do any of you remember the TV program "Lovejoy" with Ian McShane? There was an episode titled "Eric of Arabia" where his underling (Chris Jury) was trying to sell antique motorcycles. The discussion opened that several of his bikes were worth more as parts to restore other motorcycles... than as complete bikes themselves. The argument went on about how much of an antique had to be present before it wasn't antique anymore. How many year 2000 bolts can be on an 1890s vehichle before it's not original anymore?

This Mini is similar. To restore it would require so many new panels that it would not be "original" anymore. However, the non-body parts could be used to keep some other Cooper "original". It's a great donor but too far gone to be restored and retain its value. However, if everything is there, £50 sounds great. If he asks for more... ask him "Is that how much you are willing to pay for me to take this scrap away?"

#10 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'd try moving it first before any cash exchanges hands!

#11 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

Does he have the documentation for it? (V5)

What price did he come up with?

#12 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Does he have the documentation for it? (V5)

What price did he come up with?

yes he does, he also has the original keys. it was a customers car apparently ( its an mot garage ) the customer got a new car and left that one there. he's still not got back to me.

#13 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

£1500-£2000 for panels, doors etc. it's a basket case.

#14 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

After digging that car out and cutting back the bushes i'd worry that you won't be able to move it without twisting the shell completely out of shape. You'd need to weld some bracing in before even thinking about trying to move it. Otherwise you'll be needing a dustpan and brush to sweep it up!

#15 Nicky II

Nicky II

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Haha sorry all i can see is foliage coming out of it the poor thing!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users