The cost of restoration will greatly exceed the value of the finished product

#17 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

i know, it is a big shame, its also ridiculous and i have no idea why i am even entertaining the idea.i am a novice welder and already have another non mini project on the go. i think i just feel sorry for it :)

#18 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

After digging that car out and cutting back the bushes i'd worry that you won't be able to move it without twisting the shell completely out of shape. You'd need to weld some bracing in before even thinking about trying to move it. Otherwise you'll be needing a dustpan and brush to sweep it up!

Thats what I was thinking. You need to be really careful.
I got a feeling that neither of you are going to agree on a price right away. You may have to let him think about it for a while, let him try find another buyer. It will prob have some interest but I dont think many people will be brave enough (or stupid enough) to take on such a huge task

#19 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

After digging that car out and cutting back the bushes i'd worry that you won't be able to move it without twisting the shell completely out of shape. You'd need to weld some bracing in before even thinking about trying to move it. Otherwise you'll be needing a dustpan and brush to sweep it up!

Thats what I was thinking. You need to be really careful.
I got a feeling that neither of you are going to agree on a price right away. You may have to let him think about it for a while, let him try find another buyer. It will prob have some interest but I dont think many people will be brave enough (or stupid enough) to take on such a huge task

i know, i think thats where i come in, because i can be very stupid at times. if i did get it for next to nothing. i would get it to mine, strip it completely and have a look at what im left with and also,what is left of the shell. trying to do this without my wife finding out tho, she would kill me. think it will go to my nans house if she will let me.

#20 fordson

fordson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

it is always a shame to see a car in that state. i rekon if you try to move it the shell would just crumble.

#21 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

That would be one hell of a project! It has made me feel a bit better though - I have spent this afternoon going over our project mini and added another good few holes to the ever growing list so was feeling a bit peed off - but NOTHING compared to what that would be. One for the very brave so good luck!

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

If it was a 1964 Cooper 'S' it would be worth around £1000+ just for the basic shell and the engine/box with the V5. There is a chap near me who can re-build a shell in that condition back to concours standard using a very accurate jig. To do that means that technically it's the original shell.
However, an 850 will never have the high basic value. I bought a 1966 850 for resto a couple of years ago. After stripping it and re-building the shell I worked out how much more was needed to complete the resto to a high standard. I had spent £1400 on buying it and buying the new 'genuine' body panels. It would have cost another £2300+ to complete it with completely re-built engine, gearbox, interior, loom, suspension, top-quality re-paint, new tyres, new braking system, new exhaust system, etc, plus around 250 hours labour. Then it would have been worth about £6000 maximum. I sold the complete shell in primer with boot, bonnet & doors, plus sub-frames and V5 for £2900 so I got my money back on it. Used that to buy my Innocenti Cooper 1300 which I got cheaply because it had a stoved-in rear end - an easy repair once I found a new boot lid.

#23 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

Seriously it could be worse, It could be bodged and patched from top to bottom, then you have no point of reference...

http://mk1-forum.net...c.php?f=6&t=659

Another way of looking at it, at least you know it is a solid car when you're finished and not full of filler and it will last for years.

#24 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Build a wooden crate around and underneath it and then use a fork lift to pop it on to a flat bed and take it home........and then brace the shell before you take any panels off............... >_<

#25 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:59 PM

It's do-able, but would cost a fortune. And I'd be worried about the structural strength - It would need some serious skill and bracing to put it back together again.

However, if people don't make the effort to save these cars, we'll fast run out of original Minis - If you've got the time and the budget, then go for it!

But don't pay much for it ... >_<

#26 yousmeg

yousmeg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet...

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

Poor mini >_<

I hate to see them with plant life coming out of them

#27 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

if you dont buy it id definitly consider it! i need a donor for my mk1 project, or just another project lol

#28 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

dklawson

"There was a time when a person went to a dealership and said 'I want that one' and the little car went home as someone's pride and joy".

this is a very good quote about minis mind if i use it in my signature? >_<

please save this mini they are getting rarer and we need to save as many as possible

#29 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

Mate thats worse than ST'elf. Unless you have too much time and money then the only reason to pay for that, would be for cuttings from the bramble >_<

#30 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

this is a very good quote about minis mind if i use it in my signature? >_<

By all means, feel free to use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic