90 replies to this topic

#31 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

still heard nothing from the yet, don't really want to mither.http://www.theminifo...MO_DIR#/sad.png

Edited by frodmyster, 19 August 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#32 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

Couple of pics i forgot to add

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

It's really all been said, yes of course it can be rebuilt, but there will be almost no original panelwork left - bonnet looks almost useable though! The one good thing going for it is that you say it has a V5 and it will be tax exempt - so a brand new Heritage shell might be an option. I noticed that the oil filler cap is missing too - so the motor will have some water in the wrong places too. You'll be looking at close on 5K which will buy you around 40 years road tax at todays rate. They are all worth saving though! I guess this guy thinks it's worth big bucks.

#34 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

It's really all been said, yes of course it can be rebuilt, but there will be almost no original panelwork left - bonnet looks almost useable though! The one good thing going for it is that you say it has a V5 and it will be tax exempt - so a brand new Heritage shell might be an option. I noticed that the oil filler cap is missing too - so the motor will have some water in the wrong places too. You'll be looking at close on 5K which will buy you around 40 years road tax at todays rate. They are all worth saving though! I guess this guy thinks it's worth big bucks.

i can remember asking about the car when i was 17 ( 11 years ago ) but my dad said, no chance. shame, it may have been in much better condition back then

Edited by frodmyster, 19 August 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#35 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

how much would u pay for it?

#36 smj

smj

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

I hate seeing them like this, someone would probably scoop it up, stick it in a large garage, dismantle it, rebuild it and drive it knowing they had done all that work and made a lovely car, but.......................................they would of spent so much money they could of more than likely bought themselves a good usable car and saved themselves the work, if its the project they like doing fair enough i suppose, if it was me and the car was cheap enough, i would collect it, take it home, and strip every single last component that might be of any use from it, and then offer the shell for sale for scrap money, yes the car as a single component with heritage and history would be no more, but the parts could keep another one from the same fate

#37 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Even with over 40 years of cars and 12 re-shells and ownership of over 30 Minis behind me, if I wanted another Mini project I would never use that shell - only a new Heritage one, which means the only thing useable 'as is' is the V5 - even the components will still need tons of TLC. You can probably guess what other parts are unuseable because they are rotten - rear subframe, brake backplates, shockers, master cylinders. The only really useable bits are big forgings and castings or thick metal which never really rot away completely - engine/box, suspension arms, hubs, rack, possibly the wheels - and even these need to be re-built. £50 for the debris and docs (but it MUST be a V5 or V5C to qualify) would be my top. We can't always save everything!

#38 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

still nothing, going to ring next monday to see whats what, dont want mither too much with it being a busy garage

Edited by frodmyster, 19 August 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#39 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

Thats a mega serious rebuild there not really a rare car but it cert would be one money pit, if I were you I would let it RIP the owner thinks it is worth allot of money off.er him £50 and see what happens.

#40 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:52 AM

Forget about it. Its well past it that one!

You would be better off with this one lol 1967 Mini link >_<

Edited by Sir Cheat, 23 November 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#41 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

If it was a 1964 Cooper 'S' it would be worth around £1000+ just for the basic shell and the engine/box with the V5.

How much? I'll give you £1500 for any that you find like that - nice little profit for you.

#42 Spitz

Spitz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:10 PM

That looks like a very early shell. It's early enough to not have a drip rail....which was introduced in aprox May 1960 ( until 1976 )...unless it was removed.

edit...looking back at the other pics now, it looks like it has the recess for rear windscreen rubber......introduced in late 60.

Edited by Spitz, 30 November 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#43 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Did the guy ever get back to you?

#44 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Buy it, strip it for usefull parts keep the V5 and scrap the shell. I cant even see a door step/sill in that second pic so it would probably fold in the middle if you tried to move it. Real shame as it could have been saved once.

#45 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

i would deffinately take it for £50 or so.... imo that guy should realy give it to someone like yourself who would have an interest in doing something with it considering its current state and be delighted to pass it on the road if and when its finished... the mk1 is in too short a suply and here in ireland a few hundred would be what you'd get a mk1 like that for and no less.

i wouldn't get any later than a mk2 shell for a reshell if thats what your doing.... i think lewis had 1 before and apart from the rear panel its basicly the same shape, the back panel is easily changed, i certainly wouldn't get a heritage shell. i'm sure someone would take that rotten shell off you to use, i know i would but the distance would cause a slight problem :(

Edited by DAVEY_C, 08 December 2010 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users