53 replies to this topic

#16 BenCoul

BenCoul

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

You need to be in contact with my grandson, 'Cooperkid'. He is 16 next week and is doing a very comprehensive restoration on his 1997 1275 MPI for when he is 17. It will be standard except for Group 2 arches and a Mk 1 grill, so we reckon it will be easily insurable, especially as he will do his 'pass plus' the day after he passes his test.
The rolling shell with a complete new front end is going to the paintshop next weekend and the total re-build of the engine will then happen before it comes back. Then it's rebuild of all suspensio0n and brakes, refit of interior and it'll be done by early Autumn 2011.

that sounds very very cool, I can't really think of much else to say really, when did he get it ?

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

About a year ago after he sold the 1986 Mayfair that he started to restore when he was 11. That was a complete mechanical resto plus a full repaint which we did ourselves in celulose paint red/white roof.I bought it for him for £150 and he sold it for £3000. He was able to drive it a lot on private roads and old airfields in addition to about 1 hour on a proper skid-pan. He, too, is a total Mini nut as he's been working on them since he was 4-years old!

#18 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:05 AM

Very nice mini! Its very unique! Loving the rear boot sticker! lol

#19 andymini12

andymini12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

im currently 15 and had my mini for 4 months and is a mini project >_<
Andy

#20 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

You reckon 2k?
I can tell you you wont get that mate , you say you got a quote for £4700 on a 1.2 Punto
I got one for £5300 and a quote for the mini was £1991 100% Standard
When I put in the things I wanted to do to it (not as extreme as yours by the way) and got a quote of about 5-6k

#21 BenCoul

BenCoul

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

You reckon 2k?
I can tell you you wont get that mate , you say you got a quote for £4700 on a 1.2 Punto
When I put in the things I wanted to do to it (not as extreme as yours by the way) and got a quote of about 5-6k

!!!!! that's bad, it's only £1000 for me to be added as a named on my dad's standard mini. A google search of the cheapest car for a 17 year old brought up a page of the top 20 for 17 year olds. The results were by Aidrien Flux, the mini ranked 6th out of 20, with an average quote of about £1600 for a 17 year old male on his own policy

#22 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

Yeah I know , good compared to all other cars got a quote on a 1.0 corsa b for like £5k
I have only used comparison sites though , so no classic car insurers
Will do this sometime nearer my 17th birthday

#23 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

You reckon 2k?

Think he will, I passed 8 weeks ago, and have been getting quotes for my modded Mini, with non standard hot 1275, upgraded interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, carbon bonnet etc, and all my quotes have been less that £1500 fully comp on my own insurance :P

Even though the Mini has a flip front and more ICE than mine, I cant see it putting it the premium up much more than that >_<

Edited by Midas Mk1, 23 November 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#24 xBR4DLEY

xBR4DLEY

>>mine's still gay<<

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

You reckon 2k?

Think he will, I passed 8 weeks ago, and have been getting quotes for my modded Mini, with non standard hot 1275, upgraded interior, exterior, suspension, brakes, carbon bonnet etc, and all my quotes have been less that £1500 fully comp on my own insurance :P

Even though the Mini has a flip front and more ICE than mine, I cant see it putting it the premium up much more than that >_<

Yeah but yours where with classic car insurers - mine werent

#25 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hey, nice car fella >_< not too sure on 12's under sportspacks but thats my opinion.

Im 14 at the mo and hope to have mine done for when im your age (notice the word hope, haha).

Whats it like to drive? Bit pokier than standard i guess? :L

#26 BenCoul

BenCoul

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hey, nice car fella :D not too sure on 12's under sportspacks but thats my opinion.

Im 14 at the mo and hope to have mine done for when im your age (notice the word hope, haha).

Whats it like to drive? Bit pokier than standard i guess? :L

she seems quite nippy to me, not been serviced for a year and still got 85+ mph on our way back form grimsby to wigan

#27 secondopsman

secondopsman

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

This isnt ment to sound patronising but i really dont know how you younger people manage to insure your minis and run them at the price of your insurance.I have just got a quote for my highly modified mini its a vauxhall 16v engine rollcage,removable front ect and it was £179 and i thought that was dear.

#28 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

This isnt ment to sound patronising but i really dont know how you younger people manage to insure your minis and run them at the price of your insurance.I have just got a quote for my highly modified mini its a vauxhall 16v engine rollcage,removable front ect and it was £179 and i thought that was dear.

lol my grandad (not saying your that old) is like that, he pays about 90 quid a year and still moans that it should be cheaper,
he does have like 50+ years no claims mind.

#29 secondopsman

secondopsman

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

Im just (and only just )the right side of 40 but i have 22 years no claims discount and i did my advanced soon after passing my test.No pass plus in my day
Pete

#30 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Cooperkid's MPI will be completely standard and Adrian Flux reckon around £1400 TP, F & T with 'Pass-Plus' taken and passed.
Another big problem for new drivers is the rule that says if you get 6 points in the first 2 years, you start again with a provisional licence. But if that happens, your premiums when you re-pass would probably mean that you couldn't actually afford to run a car for a few years. A modified car which looks modified will only attract attention from the Old Bill so it's probably best to leave it standard for the first 2 years after passing the test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users