#1 m_brady15

m_brady15

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

Dear all,

I am changing all the plastic standard rocker switches in my mini to the classic metal and plastic toggle switches that the mk1's had.

I am just wondering, what sort of switch did the mk1's use for the hazard warning switch?

many thanks

Miles

#2 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:36 AM

Dear all,

I am changing all the plastic standard rocker switches in my mini to the classic metal and plastic toggle switches that the mk1's had.

I am just wondering, what sort of switch did the mk1's use for the hazard warning switch?

many thanks

Miles

Did they have hazard warning lights back then...?

Have a look here.

#3 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hazards were only introduced with the MkIV Mini with the later style rocker switches. A standard hazard switch can be replaced with a simple toggle switch but you will also need three relays to perform the function of the original switch. I have a diagram somewhere, will have a look tonight.

#4 m_brady15

m_brady15

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hazards were only introduced with the MkIV Mini with the later style rocker switches. A standard hazard switch can be replaced with a simple toggle switch but you will also need three relays to perform the function of the original switch. I have a diagram somewhere, will have a look tonight.

Thanks guys :P

SolarB, That would be great if you could send me that diagram.

I dont want to have nice metal toggle switches with a black plastic hazard switch next to them.

Many thanks

Miles

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,414 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:59 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa6795a47

#6 prosper ysbeer

prosper ysbeer

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local Club: Mini fun club Belgium

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

I dont want to have nice metal toggle switches with a black plastic hazard switch next to them.

actually the hazard switch was introduced in 1974 on the 1100 special (produced in Seneffe Belgium) which is a MKIII (driving one myself)
and its not a simple rocker switch

there are several electrical diagrams in the haynes 69-80 however there are some errors :

1 ) the + feed to the current indicator relay (sits befor the indicator selector switch) should be closed by the hazard switch in the OFF position and interupt that current while ON
2) the relay that operates the indocator lights can only operate 2 indicator lights and a dashboard lamp
3) the hazard swicth should connect a + feed to a second relay that can operate 4 indicator lights and a dashboard lamp

however i have connected my headlights to the green indicator in the clock and fitted 2 lamps in the orange indicators of the speedo dial one for each direction
id you leave the speedo to the single greeblight your harzard light might not function ..

#7 surfblue63

surfblue63

TMF fantasy F1 winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Newcastle & Durham

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

This would have been the type fitted as an accessory

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item53e3dcd4c8

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

The hazard switch is a multi-pole switch, think you need a 5 or 6 pole switch to make it work, and should be an on-on switch, so when in the "off" position the circuit is still active but power to the left and right provided by the indicator stalk and not the hazard circuit...

and not forgetting you also need a tell-tale for the hazard in the cabin...

#9 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

SolarB, That would be great if you could send me that diagram.

Mine doesn't have them but is getting a custom loom
I had a play with this last night
Basic loom but works and uses the single toggle twin relay system mentioned
A few wires need changing to switched for the indicators but i've had it working
Posted Image

Edited by charie t, 25 November 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

No, that circuit doesn't really work. Not properly at least.

The hazard tell tale will always flash with the R/H indicators.
The hazard circuit only works with the ignition on.
Why specfically a Fiesta flasher unit?

You can do it with two relays I seem to remember, but one has to be a twin output relay and you need some diodes.

The easiest way to covert the existing wiring to toggle switches is to use a 4 pole changeover toggle switch. This replicates the function of the rocker.

#11 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

1 The hazard tell tale will always flash with the R/H indicators.
2 The hazard circuit only works with the ignition on.
3 Why specfically a Fiesta flasher unit?

1 Balls! I threw that in as an after thought but if the earth was switched it would work
2 How wouldn't it work? It has its own supply
3 I have one here and it works is all

Edited by charie t, 25 November 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:52 PM

Any electronic combined flasher rated as 2 x 21 + 5 / 4 x 21 will work though. There's nothing special about a Fiesta one, although there probably isn't a specific Fiesta one anyway. It'll be the same as any other Ford unit.

In your diagram, the flasher unit only has a supply while the ignition switch is closed, there is no system for it to receive power when the ignition is off and the hazard switch closed.

#13 Chris_R

Chris_R

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

Can't you keep the existing switch somewhere behind the dashboard and leave it switched on, then cut one of it's wires and connect them to a toggle switch. In other words the toggle switch becomes a switch for the existing switch!

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

No.

#15 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Attached File  Switches.pdf   19.93K   117 downloads

This is a diagram that I put up ref Savage switches.

It doesn't need relays but does need 2 x diodes to stop the current feeding back when in normal indicator mode.

You will need a DP/DT switch and connect the original indicator circuit to one side and the hazzard to the other. (& another flasher units as others have indicated)

Some of the wiring on the sheet is around the lighting on the switch. If you want me to do a simplified version, give me a shout.

It will flash the indicator tell tale in the main clock but you will need an additional lamp for the hazzard switch (savage switches are illuminated)

Good luck

Regards

Steve

Edited by stevede, 27 November 2010 - 10:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users