207 replies to this topic

#181 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

I thought that was Westbay! and yeah that car is awesome! been properly ratted not just left to rot and called ratted.

thats contradicting what a rat is. a rat is a car that got there by itself. not sanded down paintwork so it rusts etc.

i dont think a lot of mini owners quite grasp the whole rat thing. i dont really like it much on minis because it just doesnt look right. you need to keep a good coat of paint on a mini because as soon as a panel rusts on a mini its pretty much gone through.

Volkswagens get away with it so much because they use thicker steel and it lasts a lot longer.

a rusty bonnet and yellow lights just doesnt seem ratty to me

if you wona be picky, my car is not rat no. it comes under the sub heading of "forced rat cars" which is under the main heading "rat"

And i like that way everyone just thinks its a VW exclusive thing when ratting comes from rat rods and there big old chopped american cars mostly and about as far away from a VW as humanly possible.
VW owners probably adopted to look first because there more open minded then most mini owners.

rant over ;)

im not being picky, just saying theres a difference between a rat and 'rat look' or 'forced rat' i prefer that a car gets there by itself rather than being forced. i think it can still be done the forced route, but IMO it rarely looks leggitimate enough to work.

and i never said it was a vw thing, i just said they get away with it more than us.

im a massive fan of rats, my car while the mini is off the road is a mk3 golf which is starting to go ratty. not because ive sanded it down or rubbed salt into the paint. but it comes with time, not washing it etc. i know its a bit too much of a modern car to look right but its just how its getting. im not going to force it tho

See, I think that's the complete wrong way to go about it. You're actually damaging the car longterm by letting nature takes its course. 'Forced ratting' is controlled rust for design and are well looked after. I'f im going to have a car that looks all ******* and rusty, I want people people to know its intended...not that i'm a some gypsy that drives a rotter.

But that's just me. I like Organised Chaos.

my car is well looked after, its well serviced and runs perfectly and reliably. rats are about provivng you dont give a crap or stick to the status quo, not making it look like you dont.

#182 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

"Rat look" mini's look ridiculous, old mini's which look battered look cool, but not ones that have been intentionally aged, or have stupid things attached to them just look stupid.

Rat look looks awesome when done right, to the right car.

Eg:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those are the type of cars built out of solid, but aged vehicles, not fake aged or intentionally defaced, but PATINA.
Make them mechanically perfect and rock solid, preferably with bling wheels, and that is pure rat look.

The "max power" generation has tried to copy the look on modern cars and it just looks ridiculous, I'd be embarrassed to drive around in a modern rat look car.

#183 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

a v reg rat ;)
good couple of grand worth of rat
rat cars are meant to be sub £1500 cars in my opinion
although a nicely modified car then stick a rusty bonnet on it can be argued as rat
i just dont see the point Lol

saying that i do like that bonnet but if youve got a nice looking car in the first place DONT RAT IT
if its looking abit scabby then go for it

just my two pence

Found another rat mini I took a few pics of an Riv Run this year.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats Ricks MPI from Essex mini club.
I wondered how long it was going to be before his mini made it onto this thread!

And if you look more closely, it’s just a solid mpi mini on some banded steels, a rusty bonnet, grill and front bumper. In other words it works because it’s not trying too hard.

#184 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

"Rat look" mini's look ridiculous, old mini's which look battered look cool, but not ones that have been intentionally aged, or have stupid things attached to them just look stupid.

Rat look looks awesome when done right, to the right car.

Eg:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those are the type of cars built out of solid, but aged vehicles, not fake aged or intentionally defaced, but PATINA.
Make them mechanically perfect and rock solid, preferably with bling wheels, and that is pure rat look.

The "max power" generation has tried to copy the look on modern cars and it just looks ridiculous, I'd be embarrassed to drive around in a modern rat look car.

Now they look rediculas (sp) I think if done properly on minis ratlook can look very good which is why I'm doing it but if done wrong can look a mess but the pictures that I can. Remember in this thread are very nice looking minis that have probably cost a lot less to do than doing a mint mini as that's why I'm now doing mine like it to save money and I will be able to get back on the road a lot quicker

#185 Chris C

Chris C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

I'm with Peter. "Patina" and "character" and such are cool, I also dig project cars with patchy primer. "Rat look" is interchangeable with "poser" as far as I'm concerned.

But if you want to make your car look silly, then more power to you.

#186 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

a v reg rat :thumbsup:
good couple of grand worth of rat
rat cars are meant to be sub £1500 cars in my opinion
although a nicely modified car then stick a rusty bonnet on it can be argued as rat
i just dont see the point Lol

saying that i do like that bonnet but if youve got a nice looking car in the first place DONT RAT IT
if its looking abit scabby then go for it

just my two pence

Found another rat mini I took a few pics of an Riv Run this year.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats Ricks MPI from Essex mini club.
I wondered how long it was going to be before his mini made it onto this thread!

And if you look more closely, it’s just a solid mpi mini on some banded steels, a rusty bonnet, grill and front bumper. In other words it works because it’s not trying too hard.

Yup thats right it is an MPI shell. Cant remember off the top of my head what he has in it at the moment.
And it does work rather well.

#187 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'm with Peter. "Patina" and "character" and such are cool, I also dig project cars with patchy primer. "Rat look" is interchangeable with "poser" as far as I'm concerned.

amen!

#188 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

amen!

well dont worry then i will make my car look silly aslong as i like it thats all that matters but we will just see in the next year how many people actually like it when they see it

#189 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

I can consider my mini as a rat look, but only by natural day to day use...

Dented/accident damaged door is matt black, the bonnet is held down by cable ties, the window is held up my tape.

Rat look is about making do with what you have, fixing things in a order of importance and safety...not rusting a few parts on purpose to follow a trend.

I agree with rat look being interchangeable with poser.

Natural rattyness is a good thing, keeping my classic car on the road, everyday at all costs, even if its ratty.
Not everyone can afford a garage queen car (which i wish i could andim not slating off)

But dont use rat look as a trend...

#190 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

amen!

well dont worry then i will make my car look silly aslong as i like it thats all that matters but we will just see in the next year how many people actually like it when they see it

+1 Lee :thumbsup:

#191 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

I can consider my mini as a rat look, but only by natural day to day use...

Dented/accident damaged door is matt black, the bonnet is held down by cable ties, the window is held up my tape.

Rat look is about making do with what you have, fixing things in a order of importance and safety...not rusting a few parts on purpose to follow a trend.

I agree with rat look being interchangeable with poser.

Natural rattyness is a good thing, keeping my classic car on the road, everyday at all costs, even if its ratty.
Not everyone can afford a garage queen car (which i wish i could andim not slating off)

But dont use rat look as a trend...

Well i love ratlook..
We all have our own opinion :thumbsup:

#192 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Ive got to agree with alex here, proper rat looks completely different to what people actually presume is rat and try to recreate.

Dont get me wrong, some 'rat' cars look tidy, but i just dont get it....

#193 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Ive got to agree with alex here, proper rat looks completely different to what people actually presume is rat and try to recreate.

Dont get me wrong, some 'rat' cars look tidy, but i just dont get it....

To me rat and ratlook are differant things rat is like what Alex is planning and ratlook is like me and Ashleigh are planning on doing and I'm sure people will lobe them when they are finished

#194 shaun617

shaun617

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

okay okay lets all just agree rat/ratlook is like marmite, you hate it or you love it :thumbsup:

:)

#195 KieronBoz

KieronBoz

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Local Club: LMCC

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

I dont think it really matters if you don't like it, you don't need to try and bash someone elses plans, you wouldn't like it if they did it to yours? people can do whatever the hell they want if they want to follow a trend, if they want to 'not' follow a trend, how about we stop taking things so seriously and stop labeling everything, just enjoy minis lol.

I say good luck with your plans make sure it doesn't fall apart lol :thumbsup:

Edited by KieronBoz, 11 December 2010 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users