#1 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

ok! a question about laquer. I am learning the hard way so have gone and bodged it for the time being until i get the money to take the mini to the body shop; but i've sprayed my rear quater pannel with spray cans, which looks reasonable. Now i was spraying the laquer on and i've put it on to thick, and there are various run marks here and there.

can i rub these down with sand--paper and then put a wee bit more laquer on top? or will this ruin what i have done so far???

#2 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

To get a shine you will have to rub the whole panel down anyway.

Get some p1500 or finer (the higher the number the finer it is)

Use plenty soapy water (faily liquid will do)
and using the sanding block rub the panel gently, keep adding water as this carries the residue away.

If you rub a bit and then stop and dry the panel (Old wiper blade is ideal for this)
you will see some dull and shiny spots, if you keep rubbing until all the shiny spots have gone (Does not take much effort, so dont get carried away)

You will have a panel that looks dull but smooth.

polish with G3 or get a can of rubbing compound from halfords (looks like a spray paint can)
this is a foam use this to rub/polish the panel and you will see a shine come through..

oce you have done this then apply a decent polish and hey presto it will shine.

You can get great results this way.. takes a little time but you can spray your car like that and end up with a super smooth and shiny paint job..

Wont top a professional job in the booth, but does not cost as much either..

Hope this helps

shaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users