377 replies to this topic

#361 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

So Again it has been a while but I have been crazy busy at work. I have still been working out the best option for the internal boot hinges and have finally come up with a design which will allow the boot to open fully.

Where I went wrong with my previous design of hinge was that it was mounted too high and not far enough back. So with that in mind I have moved the plates that mount to the floor as far back as they can go (as shown on my last post). I then started design work for the arms that hold the boot lid to give enough clearance and hold the boot in the right place when it is bonded to it:

20131112_182708_zps7d94fc67.jpg

I then did a trial run in 5mm ply wood to see clearance and it was good :)

20131112_183647_zps678b51b9.jpg

20131112_183639_zpsa2b3f58c.jpg

20131112_183704_zpsb538e29c.jpg

Due to the hinge being moved back so much I have had to cut little sections out in the boot lip on the bottom (which is fine as I don't believe it will let water in) to let the hinge design fully open the boot.

Once I was happy with everything I started making the final arms in 5mm aluminium and I assembled one together to show what it looks like. It consists of the arm (5mm Aluminium sheet cut), the bases (cut from extruded 5mm aluminium), 6mm Stainless steel clevis pin, 2x 2mm nylon washers and a stainless steel R clip to hold it all in place.

20131116_155803_zps2ebf5b15.jpg

20131116_155830_zpseadced30.jpg

20131116_155758_zpsa5c54449.jpg

20131116_155816_zpsb48b3fe6.jpg

One mounted so far:

20131116_155605_zps0116bc87.jpg

20131116_155617_zpsf41d9a63.jpg

With all this going on I ordered myself a few new presents in the form of some teng tools and a mechanic transport case:

20131030_174018_zpsf53a766f.jpg

20131030_173948_zps735bb908.jpg

Kind Regards Blue

Edited by blue blood, 17 November 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#362 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

This car is a true credit to you and your patience is a virtue in a build like this. 

Minus's are cars that rarely get finished, much like a lot of kit cars I guess. This Mini has been outstanding from start to now and I know when it's finished it'll take the Mini scene and shows by storm, can't wait to see it about. 

Great work and keep it up, builds like this are what Minis are all about. Innovation and unique ideas.

Awesome  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#363 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thanks Craig for the kind comments and vote of confidence.

Regards Blue

#364 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nice work Blue on getting those sorted!

#365 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Cheers Jonny. 

Got the other one fitted yesterday so they are now both in place and I believe that the boot-lid will clear the rear valance completely. 

For illustrative purposes I taped some aluminium L bracket to the hinges to check for straightness in lining them up and it works perfectly :)

20131120_202424_zpse321a77c.jpg

20131120_202434_zpsc6654f63.jpg

20131120_202444_zps95329cc7.jpg

Regards to all Blue

#366 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Coming along Blue. The little things take the longest to sort out i find.

#367 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Neil I really appreciate the kind words especially coming from another person who is a perfectionist themselves ;) 

Regards Blue

#368 webby0121

webby0121

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

O.k with the car stripped down i had several options open to me. I could work on it piece by piece removing repairing and getting on to the next panel or i could have it dipped and e-coat it or i could do bodge and make it into a horror story with filler and any bits of crap in reach! But no instead of doing all of the mentioned only to have to do them later on down the line i had another idea......

Photo-0291.jpg

Photo-0292.jpg

Photo-0293.jpg

Photo-0297.jpg

MINI MINUS

There are no real down sides in my mind. I went and purchased the minus as a blank canvas. The best thing about it is it will let me work on it at my own pace, as i don't have to worry about rust forming and priming it straight away and stuff.

O.k So i had my shell but it is far from perfect so i cracked on with it. Things i had to do is get rid of that metal rotten bootlid and take those hideous arches off. I am not a fan of smoothed in arches or rust for that matter so i took the doors of to work on later. Another job i did was mock fit the MPI engine in it for bonnet clearance.

Photo-0300.jpg

Photo-0301.jpg

Photo-0303.jpg

Looks like the engine would fit but the keen eyes amongst you would notice that the air filter on the throttle body sticks out and near the front the thermostat housing protrudes too much!

What do i do? Well simple i will eventually have to make a bulge in my bonnet ;D and remove the sandwich plate.

So i took the sandwich plate out and created this on the thermostat housing for the hose take off:

SAM_3523.jpg

SAM_3522.jpg

I will be using this fan thermostat device as i will be making my own wiring loom.

SAM_3524.jpg

Hi, whats the brass/ gold thing that youve added to the thermostat housing called? need to buy one

thanks

#369 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

After a lot of time spent and careful consideration I will be looking to sell my beloved minus project. This has been the toughest decision to make for but I am looking this year to buy a place of my own and with that in mind I won't be able to put the time into her. i have not come up with prices yet for anything but if you would like anything featured within my build diary please feel free to message me.

Kind regards to all Blue

#370 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

Mini Minus Shell: Has tubbed arches all round, enlarged rear suspension turrets (so coilovers can be fitted), Custom fabricated alminium cross member, Custom fabricated aluminium bulk head cover, Custom stainless steel toe board spreader plates, Custom Stainless steel front suspension spreader plates and custom fabricated internal bonnet hinges made from aluminium, with nylon washers and stainless steel pins. Also included is good set of doors needing the bottoms welded on and brand new door skins, also a brand new bonnet made from the original minus moulds (but without the centre ridge or oil cap bulge), also a curley fiberglass single skin bonnet with aluminium reinforcements glassed in for rigidity and to work with the internal release hinges (also thrown in some brand new barrel locks) and finally a cut down safety devices roll cage with all bars ready to welded up where necessary- includes door bars. Rear glass is also included.

£2000

Brand new 13x7 Super trax wheels, with new yokohama tyres on (A539), tuner wheel nuts and adaptor key.

£400

Rear trailing arms (roller bearings in very good condition)

£50

Alloy protech coilovers, these are in as new condition and have only been dry fitted, front come with the upper brackets.

£350

Dry fitted alloy rear hubs with brand new wheel bearings fitted

£150

New super fins with reconditioned back plates(shot blasted, painted with the most premium paint money can buy so should last longer than standard coating, with new pistons, new springs, stainless steel hub bolts, new rubber boots, custom made titanium brake lever arms, titanium brake adjuster and new pads). Basically this back plate set up is the nuts ;), The only thing you need to finish them would be alloy hubs which I am also selling seperatley.

£250

Rear lights set up, these have been cleaned up sprayed satin black with new bulbs and brand new crystal light covers, come with new seals too.

£75

Custom made polycarbonate side windows, these are made to fit the mini minus produced with the more expensive lexan margard which is scratch resistant. The rear quarter windows are also produced with E marks on which means they will conform if the minus is to be sent for an IVA test.

£270

Heated front windscreen perfect for not having to rely on the poor heater vents (this is new but has been fitted once).

£110

Alloy fuel cell with fuel level gauge built in (has never been used).

£120

New stainless steel braided fuel hose (enough to go from the front to the back twice and have a little extra still).

New Kad handbrake quadrants

£15

Sytec alloy fuel filter

£40

Bosch fuel-pump in good condition mirror polished and wrapped in a rockstar can, with a black alloy cradle and a segment of new braided fuel hose and black alloy hose connector finisher.

£100

New compact car heater from car builder solution, comes with a custom made stainless steel holding bracket and a custom cut carbon fibre front face. This heater takes up less space than the original heater but will be more effective than the original.

£150

Brand new sprayed up black steering rack, with new extended rod ends.

£50

Real Carbon fibre door cards (front and rear) and flat dash(with Kevlar infused)  custom cut for a mini minus.

£250

Real Carbon fibre F1 door mirrors.

£60

Real Carbon fibre door scoops (scratch guards).

£25

New Varley Racing red top 25 battery, with brand new brass connectors and alloy varley battery holder.

£110

New clear Glass lucas front indicators with bulbs

£20

Twin bolt subframe in good condition with added cups for a front mounted radiator (which can fit in a minus) fully seam welded and dressed. Will throw in an alloy sump guard. Will also come with new upper arm poly bump stops and stainless custom cut stainless steel upper arm plates.

£100

Brand new Telescopic collapsible steering column with a universal joint that can bolt straight onto a standard mini steering rack. Comes with a cut down shroud with some custom made bushes made from PTFE. This column is needed to pass a kit car through an IVA test.

£80

Alloy lockable fuel neck, cap and restrictor this is also needed to pass an IVA test as it locks and restricts fuel nozzles that aren’t petrol, it is also mounted on a custom cut carbon fibre panel for mounting in the corner of a boot opening.

£80

Stainless steel polished heavy duty long extended steering column drop bracket.

£30

Curley (the best for miglia items) fiberglass miglia arches as new never been cut/trimmed.

£50

Brand new stainless steel window runners (not more rotten items).

£25

Stainless steel articulated bonnet hinges (dry fitted only).

£35

New bonnet release cable and mechanism.

£10

Brand new Willwood alloy pedal assemble setup for brake and clutch. With the best compact alloy pistons (come with remote reservoirs or attached). This is the ultimate in pedal assembly kits.

£375

New only dry fitted alloy Tarox 6 pot brake caliper and disc set up with alloy bells. These are pieces of art and are one of the ultimate brake kits out there with the company specializing in brakes even for formula one cars!!

£550

Alloy door furniture satin and carbon fibre insert on the door lock surround recess.

£40

Koso digital dash It comes with all original wiring and has not been used but has been plugged in once to see it illuminate.

£120

MPI engine with straight cut gear box. This comes with a custom made alternator brackets which lower the alternator enough to fit under a lowered mini engine bay (perfect for a sprint or minus). Also comes with brand new bosch multi point spark plugs and magnecore leads with spark pack and stainless steel mounting bracket. Will come with full wiring harness.

£575

New silicone MPI hoses both top hose and main hose made by Artel.

£100

New Black billet rose jointed and poly bush top engine mount.

£30

New Black billet poly bush lower engine mount.

£15

Custom rocker cover with side oil filling cap/neck and alloy cap, finished in satin black and por15 paint on the inside.

£25

KAD billet alloy MPI water pump belt wheel.

£40

Adapted MPI top hose take off with brass take off (so a sandwich plate does not need to be used again perfect for a mini with a lowered engine bay).

£15

Set of good condition roof bars.

£20

Black billet door hinges dry fitted only (will throw in stainless steel bolts).

£100

Titanium rear beam as made by force racing

£400

Titanium fully adjustable rose jointed lower arms and tie bars, will come with lower pin and titanium spacers (direct swap item).

£470

Titanium Top arms to suit coilovers still (direct swap replacement item, with coilover use).

£280

Titanium spreader plate for bulk head twin bolt subframe. This is a one off piece and I have not seen anyone else have these made.

£25

I have a lot more miscellaneous new or reconditioned mini items so if you need anything just ask.

Edited by blue blood, 13 February 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#371 benjy_18

benjy_18

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

ah man, this sucks for so many reasons!!!!

mainly my lack of funds to buy your shell!!!!! if it is still here in june i will most deffinitly be interested, no doubt it will be sold by then!!!

#372 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

Gutted this is for sale as ive followed it for ages.

Do you have any pics of the wheels and where are you based?

#373 coopermango

coopermango

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Yorkshire Mini Cooper Reg.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hi,
In the process of putting my Minus back on the road, having now resolved the v5 issue ( now have a minus v5).
I'm interested in a few of the bits you are selling, I've sent you a email/ message if you would like to get in touch.

#374 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Replied

#375 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members