#16 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

In a word NO. There is a lot of bad feeling towards the no gas range of welders, poor welds, messy welds etc and so on.
To be honest if you are going to learn to weld and do quite a bit then go for the Gas variety. These give a nice clean weld when set up correctly but like any welder practise is everything.

#17 dhende84

dhende84

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Fine to weld bodywork, but get the optional extras (or go to machine mart, etc) and convert to gas!

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

It would be ok, perhaps just a tad underpowered for anything thicker than bodywork. No gas is really useful if you want a welder for occasional use and it will run with gas if needed. You would have to add a few quid to buy a gas regulator, but you'd also need a regulator to use a proper gas bottle with a gas mig.

#19 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Its a classic trap!!

The novice welder doesn't want to spend much money so buys a cheap welder, they then can't weld properly with the sack of crap and give up!!

I've used some cheapo stuff and have struggled with it and I've been welding for years.

Gasless is utter crap, I don't car what anyone says, it looks awful, and just doesn't weld as nice. I keep hearing people say how gas is crap for welding outside, I weld outside all the time and have never had a problem.

Why make life difficult for yourself? Your life may depend on the quality of your welding one day so why comprimise now.

A decent gas clarke is about £230, add to that a nice mask and some gas. Depending on how much you have to do then it may pay to rent a bottle, my BOC on is about £80 a year plus refills at about £40

Its not cheap but its the best way of going about things

#20 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

alright cheers shifty, i no what ya saying and i wont give up welding as i do it at college and want to eventually either get into motorsport or become a welder and fabby. Looks like ill have to save abit more dosh then (around £300 sound ok?) and buy a nice decent gas welder.

Cheers guys

Nick

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

If you look on Mig-welding.co.uk, there's now someone offering a nationwide service with no rental fees, you buy the bottle instead, but they will buy it back when you're done.

I have a gasless mig, suits me fine for the odd job and costs me nothing to have it sat in my garage. I agree that if I had a steel car to restore I'd be better off with a bottle.

#22 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Its a classic trap!!

The novice welder doesn't want to spend much money so buys a cheap welder, they then can't weld properly with the sack of crap and give up!!

I've used some cheapo stuff and have struggled with it and I've been welding for years.

Gasless is utter crap, I don't car what anyone says, it looks awful, and just doesn't weld as nice. I keep hearing people say how gas is crap for welding outside, I weld outside all the time and have never had a problem.

Why make life difficult for yourself? Your life may depend on the quality of your welding one day so why comprimise now.

A decent gas clarke is about £230, add to that a nice mask and some gas. Depending on how much you have to do then it may pay to rent a bottle, my BOC on is about £80 a year plus refills at about £40

Its not cheap but its the best way of going about things

amen shifty, amen! couldn't of put it better myself!

#23 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3f05a682e1

how about this one then? suitable for an ameteur welder doing body work for the first time?

Cheers guys really helpful

Nick

i would try and go for something upwards of 130a and preferrably with a euro tourch, always use gas as gassless is dog poo, conert it to take big gas bottles because otherwise small bottles make it expensive.

130/150a hobby migs are perfect for starting with and not to shy on power either because i welded a full losost chassis with my 130a including corner gussets without struggle.

#24 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

what welder are you using to learn with?

#25 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

At college, we got some huge welders that can weld through like 5" think steel, so ample for learning. There all different aswell :wub:

Ive also tried tig welding aswell which i find quite good :- so that could be an option :L

Think im set on getting a clarke gas welder with around 150amps then?

Nick

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like a plan, it should meet your needs for a while. If you're not in a rush keep an eye on fleabay.

#27 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

im looking at getting one after xmas so i can get cracking with my estate i have just braught.

which is the best gas to use? argon i take it?

Nick

#28 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

if you're using a something with seperate wire feed you will notice the difference with smaller welders.
with a £300 budget you can pick up something very good second hand.

#29 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

if you're using a something with seperate wire feed you will notice the difference with smaller welders.
with a £300 budget you can pick up something very good second hand.

i agree... if you have the use of larger welders in college then maybe you should learn there and get the few bob together for a larger welder for yourself, the wire feed has its own motor which gives a more consistant weld. it would pay off in the end. tig is handy to have too but all depends on what welding projects you plan to do whether its worth having or not.

i was using a clarke 135en at the time i think, few years ago :shifty:

#30 haggz

haggz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

just a thought for you. contact all your local sheetmetal companies. ask if they have any migs that they want to sell. in the current climate a welder sitting there for months not being used is a waste of money. you may strike lucky. i know its second hand but they dont normaly buy c**p stuff and you could test it before handing over your cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users