#1 CraigieB

CraigieB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hello again :thumbsup: - another couple of questions :thumbsup:

I've been looking around and a company called Mini Tec do a similar Type R kit to Zcars only its mounted in the front and has potential for 4WD

Link to website: http://superfastminis.com/

So what I would like to know is:

Would you need an IVA test if you used the minitec kit, as you dont have to cut the floor away??

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Zcars compared to Minitec (other than I would need to import it)

Im just trying to get all the info I can regarding this :-

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Craig

Edit: I just worked it out that rounded up the mini tec kit costs £7600 whereas the Zcars costs over £10,000 for race spec kit now

Edited by CraigieB, 10 December 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#2 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

If you going to do a FWD conversion, you may as well just use d a Watson's or an All Speed kit. It will save importing it then!

#3 CraigieB

CraigieB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

well I was looking it with respect to AWD

#4 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

OH, With the AWD kit, you're still required to cut the back up. As per this photo;
http://superfastmini...NI/100_3354.JPG

As the rear subframe looks higher than the standard mini. Also in the photo of the under floor you'll notice where the exhausts go, that's under the rear seat by the looks of it. So there's still a lot of body alterations going on.

So strictly speaking would put your points down low enough to require an SVA, as you are loosing points on engine, shell and drive train.

Edited by Timify, 10 December 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#5 CraigieB

CraigieB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

ahh I see

Would you say there are advantages of this over z cars or are they both on a par?

#6 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

I cant really say as I haven't seen the AWD Minitec go. I think there's someone on Minifinity building one into an estate at the moment.

I can Imagen getting any parts that break in shipping / go missing a bit of a nightmare.

Personally I'd still go Z Cars.
A. You know what to expect
B. They're UK built so on hand for any parts and advice
C. They're tried, tested, raced and crashed

#7 Timify

Timify

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Here's the build;

http://www.minifinit...i...73&start=40

It appears he didn't get very far with it though.

#8 CraigieB

CraigieB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

Just read through the whole thread - sounds like he had a couple of issues here and there with the customer service.

#9 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

personaly i prefer the awd setup and it would be good to find some finished projects builds as that realy only one and work in progress so difficult to judge on them basis.... obviously the z-cars would be a simpler and quicker conversion and ive heard of chris being very helpfull indead, on the other hand i'd say the alspeed awd setup is a great piece of kit but as was already stated needs alot more modification to the body and spares may be more expensive and difficult to get also due to them being in the states it can be awkward getting help.
i still like the awd and wouldn't be bothered by the work involved..... i would build one but i have a spare sr20det 4x4 setup awaiting a spaceframe chassis build, 4wd's are my preferd choice

#10 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Minitec's AWD Project on YouTube

#11 De Blerende Beetle

De Blerende Beetle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

It is my opinion that a 2ltr vtec, volvo etc are to heavy for a mini. Hayabusa or a Toyota black-/silvertop is the way to go. AWD etc won't help. If you got big power, awd is a good thing otherwise rwd. This is pure my opinion!!!

#12 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

The Mini Tec website states 45mpg and 0-60 in under 5 seconds for a VTEC powered car although it doesn't state the exact spec for that performance. Although I realise that a 0-60 stat isn't the be all and end all of performance indicators I would hope for something a little quicker off the mark than that. Wouldn't there be additional transmission losses with a 4WD set-up?

#13 Dizzy Less

Dizzy Less

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local Club: Crewes Missiles

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

Here's the build;

http://www.minifinit...i...73&start=40

It appears he didn't get very far with it though.

Hi, the guy in the link I believe his name is Carl he has had a few problems with this kit, some of them big ones. its posted on crews missiles forum. he is a top fellow who I'm sure would reply to your Questions, but as I have looked at the build, I know he had to buy a plasma cutter to cut away so much metal, and the box did not mate up with the plate given the tunnel had to be removed as nothing was in line. getting parts and more important the right parts has been a knight mere for him. On paper its the one to go for, in the reel world. its TROUBLE. the kit is not a bolt together kit. you will need a workshop. with some big boy toys. I know he is not that far off now. And talking about body shop. So I'm sure he will post some updates on the web soon..

#14 peaty_34

peaty_34

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

hi m8 id go awd (i am ) ive heard lots of bad comments about zcars, and looking at my uncles zcars kit i can see why, his rear arms was different (EG one was fully welded and the other hardly no weld), for him to get it through the sva he had to drill into the frame and weld some slugs in for to seat belt eyes, parts of the kit are not cds, (EG door bars, heel bar, dash bar) but the kit was brought as a track kit, at mini vs beelte i spoke to three people about zcars all said the same not very good service, one bloke took his car all working just needed putting on the dyno, before he left he tryed it and second gear was f**keed the gear linkage was broken. I rang up about a roll cage for a mini all he wanted to do was sell me a kit and let then fit it, in the end i gave up, if you want more info about awd go to http://www.16vminiclub.com, i dont like telling people but id like to be told.

#15 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

hi m8 id go awd (i am ) ive heard lots of bad comments about zcars, and looking at my uncles zcars kit i can see why, his rear arms was different (EG one was fully welded and the other hardly no weld), for him to get it through the sva he had to drill into the frame and weld some slugs in for to seat belt eyes, parts of the kit are not cds, (EG door bars, heel bar, dash bar) but the kit was brought as a track kit, at mini vs beelte i spoke to three people about zcars all said the same not very good service, one bloke took his car all working just needed putting on the dyno, before he left he tryed it and second gear was f**keed the gear linkage was broken. I rang up about a roll cage for a mini all he wanted to do was sell me a kit and let then fit it, in the end i gave up, if you want more info about awd go to http://www.16vminiclub.com, i dont like telling people but id like to be told.

Thats one big sentence you rolled out there...

My Zcars is the business. Everything on it is of the highest quality. Its how you put them together and deal with any problems. Ofcourse there are problems but the kits are getting better all the time. Good approch, good communiction with Zcars and an abundance of tools and experitse from people are needed to complete the car right and this is the only thing that was ever slighly misleading. Its tough...

Im sure if your uncle called up Zcars with a problem such as different rear arms it would be fixed swiftly. And lots of Zcars have been through SVA also...

AWD kits have not had the testing and numbers that Zcars have had. Building a kit car AWD to me sounds like a bit of a gimick. All you people saying 4wd if you want big power are crazy. What really quick track cars do you know with 4wd? Evo 8,9,10...Not that quick.
Elxige, Caterham, Atom, Ferrari, Porche Gt3 all RWD
2 wheels drive is the only way for a track car. Otherwise you might as well put the f*cker on a lift kit and make it into an offroader!

Why didnt you ring up Minisport for your Mini Roll cage!? Haha!!

So my advise is go for the UK company as there are going to be issues with your build which ever way you decide to go. Deal with Zcars right and concentrate on a good build with a plan and youll be laughing
Cheers!

Edited by brandon7, 03 May 2011 - 06:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users