Photo
- - - - -

My Mini ;) The Third Chapter. 998 Fast road.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
842 replies to this topic

#16 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

Cheers for the kind words you lot! I was on a roll Saturday night, out there till 10 I think.

Ah that's what it is! It was like a bar of soap when I unwrapped it :thumbsup: I'm okay for gauges, been stockpiling them :P

Long term plans are a mk1/2 retro/period/rally style.. :shifty:

#17 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

looking good :huh:

ive got a 79 but its a bit more rusty than yours :)

#18 andy pandy

andy pandy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

i must be mistaken but i thought shifty nearly had this car ready for paint in his thread :w00t:

#19 TheBIGGERimage

TheBIGGERimage

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

Intercooler has arrived :w00t:

#20 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

looking good :thumbsup:

ive got a 79 but its a bit more rusty than yours :w00t:

I need a blob of weld here and there, small patch on the rear quarter and she is rust free! Looking at all the documents it had some TLC in its time, well looked after.

i must be mistaken but i thought shifty nearly had this car ready for paint in his thread :dontgetit:

Yep he did :xxx: but he decided to sell it to fund 'Poo' his Elf.

Intercooler has arrived :(

Cheers for letting me know Dad! Bloke on TM can get 25% discount from one of the silicon hose shops, so I'll try and sort that when I'm back.

#21 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

What small patch on the rear 1/4???

I thought I got all the grot on him??

The paperwork with him is quite interesting, the old adverts for him make good reading. I think the mileage is genuine.

(why does the 850 need an intercooler???)

#22 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

There is about a 2cm rusty patch on the passenger side rear quarter and a hole just above it, presuming where a screw once was for the opening windows? Not sure, it was covered up by the rubber seal though. Nothing I can't handle shifty :thumbsup:

& also a rusty hole on the inside of the passenger side wing, near the air vent. Again a little thing to patch.

I also want to weld up the front footwell drainage holes. They will just be an invitation to rust and I will be putting down some sound deadening felt of some sort, don't want it being a moisture trap.

Yeah I found that advert! Back in 1985 I think? I need to sort it all into chronological order :w00t:

& it's for the 998 turbo! Will refurb the 850cc and keep that tucked under the bench in the garage.

#23 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

Sorry about that, I was confident I'd got the lot on him!!!

#24 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Small morning update -

I'm back from Uni now for Christmas :lol: got three solid weeks until I go back. Although I've got a lot of uni work to get done, I'll hopefully have the mini ready or almost ready for paint!

Posted Image

Intercooler from a Renault GT5 Turbo, which is nice because my turbo is also off a GT5 Turbo.

& a metal embossed GB badge.

Posted Image

I want to fix this onto the rear bumper, towards one of the sides. Seen it on a few VWs, dont think I've seen it done in a mini yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I went to a classic car show in my local town, which wasn't what I expected :) only a handful of cars there and the 'autojumble' was cheese, wine and second hand toys. I couldn't remember what dials I had so was on the look out for more, just placed them into the dash to see how it would all look :D

Still need to find a rev counter, boost gauge and a smiths clock. And then I'll have all the dials I could ever need :P

I've seen a new TIM rev counter in its own pod on Mini Spares I think, which I'll mount on the steering shroud behind the steering wheel.

The Boost gauge will more than likely be a new one as I want it to be precise, although I'll try and find a black faced one to keep it in tie with the rest.

& I'm on the look out for a smiths 52mm clock if anyone has one :lol: Drop me a PM.

Need to decide how to spend the rest of my day.. mini or uni work.. tough choice!

#25 jack-the-lad

jack-the-lad

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

i gotta get myself some of those unionjack ball things :) :lol: haha

Edited by jack-the-lad, 19 December 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#26 1380sprint

1380sprint

Mini Mad

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

I had one off those Autoplas dashs back in the 90's, it cracked if i remember....lol

liking the intercooler!!
was it big $$$$?

#27 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

Haha they are an acquired taste Jack :crazy:

Yeaah I love it 1380, it's a proper original one as well, not a reproduction ABS one which is really cool.

Todays efforts -

Posted Image

I'd be in a mess if I accidentally started a fire somehow, bucket of water was just a lump of ice :lol:

Posted Image

Not many photos to show! I just cracked on with stripping it all down. Few bits left in that need a small drill piece as they are riveted. Rear subby is still on as you can see, but that's only a few nuts and bolts. The fuel line and brake line is also still there as the whole shell is sat on the pallet, squashing them.

So half a days work left until she is completely starkers, then I can start tidying up the bodywork :)

Posted Image

Engine bay needs a good scrub as well, any secrets or techniques?

#28 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Oh and the damn pedal box is still in, I took an angle grinder to it last time.. :) but I've got a lot more patience this time round. It's the two bolts that are attached to the lower dash rail.. Just can't get to them.

#29 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

I started to clean it off with a compressor powered parafin gun, I used brake and clutch cleaner. This worked until the brake and clutch cleaner destroyed my parafin gun!!

The engine bay was covered in the stuff, I got a load off and then got bored!!!

Here it is before

Posted Image

#30 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

It's the two bolts that are attached to the lower dash rail.. Just can't get to them.

Why not mate? They should be nice and easy to get to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users