910 replies to this topic

#811 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Are you keeping it turbo with the SC head?

#812 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

How'd you know i have that, not posted here yet haha.

I am staying turbo, that is what makes it fast :).

#813 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Gone from a 3 Inch TRS to just a cheap and cheerful securon on the passenger side.

28058846_10156270832991654_6212185210816

27657511_10156270833026654_4161263923440

Pretty interesting theres 1kg difference going to 2 Inch and a normal style buckle.

Ive also chopped some more bits I dont need out the shell. This was the B pillar belt mounting.

27750148_10156270833066654_7695849307235

Door card

27658012_10156270833041654_2924099866662

I also cut out the passenger crossmember. All the fuse box etc is going to live here so its got nice easy access.

27657310_10156270833116654_8791285611686

The most exciting bit though!
Bought a 7 port SC head. Decided I didnt like the 5 port EFI idea. 
27867062_10156284372146654_3198067429721

#814 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Your previous post where you mentioned the SC injection kit... I misread that as you were getting a head too. Or telepathy. One of the two.

Turbo'd 7 port SC head sounds absolutely mega though! Can't wait to see that.

#815 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

Your previous post where you mentioned the SC injection kit... I misread that as you were getting a head too. Or telepathy. One of the two.

Turbo'd 7 port SC head sounds absolutely mega though! Can't wait to see that.

See into the future for sure!

Hopefully it works well :)

#816 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

Battery box removed and smoothed out.

28055961_10156296050336654_6011492298202

Pretty fed up with the MED belt drive leaking oil. Im going to go back to a chain. Thought Id cracked it last time I fixed it but seems to have weeped a little again.

28167840_10156298680546654_1532402648942

Got the engine out and stripped. Found one ring with a bit of damage but no damage to pistons etc.
Its getting bored to 1310, MED crank and a set of forged omegas.

28277227_10156298680536654_7391644913370

Edited by jonny f, 23 February 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#817 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

So when are you going r1 or hayabusa lol, great build man

#818 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

So when are you going r1 or hayabusa lol, great build man

Bike engines belong in bikes in my opinion. 80ftlb of torque or 160ftlb? know what i would rather!

#819 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Bike engines belong in bikes in my opinion. 80ftlb of torque or 160ftlb? know what i would rather!

Maybe that torque figure is true for like a r1 motorcycle from 1998 that had around 72.7 lb ft with 150hp but that not true of a hayabusa, the 2008 model has 102.3 lb ft with 197 hp. Both engine have big aftermarket support and can easily be modify. Here is a chart for the figure of a basic turbo setup on a hayabusa. I never seen a factory mini engine any were those number even modify, i think most i seen was 200hp from one. Still great car you havever there.

Attached Files

Edited by Mini-dude, 08 March 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#820 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

Maybe that torque figure is true for like a r1 motorcycle from 1998 that had around 72.7 lb ft with 150hp but that not true of a hayabusa, the 2008 model has 102.3 lb ft with 197 hp. Both engine have big aftermarket support and can easily be modify. Here is a chart for the figure of a basic turbo setup on a hayabusa. I never seen a factory mini engine any were those number even modify, i think most i seen was 200hp from one. Still great car you havever there.

I could argue all day against you about this. Fair enough I take my hat of to people that put them in cars. Just dont see why a lot of the time. Yes they can be quick but your pulling a car not a bike.

Also from my experience anyone that has one in a mini has ended up with quite a lot of problems. Chains and diffs are not ideal.

I would happily chuck a Honda engine in it or an eco boost but I quite like my mini kit car with its mini engine.

Especially when it flies past almost all engine conversions on track :).

#821 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:34 AM

I could argue all day against you about this. Fair enough I take my hat of to people that put them in cars. Just dont see why a lot of the time. Yes they can be quick but your pulling a car not a bike.
Also from my experience anyone that has one in a mini has ended up with quite a lot of problems. Chains and diffs are not ideal.
I would happily chuck a Honda engine in it or an eco boost but I quite like my mini kit car with its mini engine.

I could say the same about arguing all day long I normally like these type of discussions. I know a person that has a vacation home were i am and his had a r1 mini for around 3 years and never had a problem with it, I have to ask him if he still has the chain drive or he switch it, last time we talk he was doing some work on the car. On a standard steel shell a honda swap would make the mini too heavy for my taste. My main argument is when it comes to making more then 200hp i haven't really seen a mini engine go into that range. On a hayabusa it's a walk in the park. On a side note how much is your car tipping the scale at now?

Edited by Mini-dude, 09 March 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#822 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

I could say the same about arguing all day long I normally like these type of discussions. I know a person that has a vacation home were i am and his had a r1 mini for around 3 years and never had a problem with it, I have to ask him if he still has the chain drive or he switch it, last time we talk he was doing some work on the car. On a standard steel shell a honda swap would make the mini too heavy for my taste. My main argument is when it comes to making more then 200hp i haven't really seen a mini engine go into that range. On a hayabusa it's a walk in the park. On a side note how much is your car tipping the scale at now?

To be honest and maybe a little blunt, do you actually have any experience yourself with a fast a series or any engine conversion minis? There is many A series engines with 200+ BHP.
The D series engine is also a very similar weight to an A series.
I don't know the weight of my car its in bits. After this rebuild it should be around 520-530kg.

#823 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

To be honest and maybe a little blunt, do you actually have any experience yourself with a fast a series or any engine conversion minis? There is many A series engines with 200+ BHP.The D series engine is also a very similar weight to an A series.I don't know the weight of my car its in bits. After this rebuild it should be around 520-530kg.

I have just one car for mini reference, which is that r1 mini, i met the owner when he brought it to my work place to do the conversion, apart from that i can list other conversion i taken part in. The fact is to get a A series over 200 hp alot of the engine internally need replacement to be reliable, now to compare you can happy push a hayabusa to 250 on stock internal and in extreme conditions like drag scenario they can be seen taken to more then 700hp of course that would be with everything replace internally too , i will shut up the day I see a series go to 250 hp on stock internals. The d series is a terrible engine and I know because my daily driver is a 2004 honda civic which has a D17, if anyone is seriously considering a d series swap they are insane, the logical honda engine to swap would be a b or k series. Now dont get me wrong i am not picking on the a series, i would just take a different route then building one up.

Edited by Mini-dude, 09 March 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#824 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:51 AM

To be honest and maybe a little blunt, do you actually have any experience yourself with a fast a series or any engine conversion minis? There is many A series engines with 200+ BHP.The D series engine is also a very similar weight to an A series.I don't know the weight of my car its in bits. After this rebuild it should be around 520-530kg.

I have just one car for mini reference, which is that r1 mini, i met the owner when he brought it to my work place to do the conversion, apart from that i can list other conversion i taken part in. The fact is to get a A series over 200 hp alot of the engine internally need replacement to be reliable, now to compare you can happy push a hayabusa to 250 on stock internal and in extreme conditions like drag scenario they can be seen taken to more then 700hp of course that would be with everything replace internally too , i will shut up the day I see a series go to 250 hp on stock internals. The d series is a terrible engine and I know because my daily driver is a 2004 honda civic which has a D17, if anyone is seriously considering a d series swap they are insane, the logical honda engine to swap would be a b or k series. Now dont get me wrong i am not picking on the a series, i would just take a different route then building one up.

So you don't really have much experience at all.

I am fully aware of what each engine can push bhp wise. I'll reiterate again though, its just not a mini engine! 

200bhp has been put through stock cranks and rods many times on an a series with boost. RPM is the limiting factor of a mini crank. Join turbominis and try to gain a proper understanding of what an a series is capable of.

You talk rubbish, D series is a great engine.

Anyway, this is a silly conversation. Good luck with your search for a project.

Edited by jonny f, 10 March 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#825 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

So you don't really have much experience at all.

I am fully aware of what each engine can push bhp wise. I'll reiterate again though, its just not a mini engine! 
200bhp has been put through stock cranks and rods many times on an a series with boost. RPM is the limiting factor of a mini crank. Join turbominis and try to gain a proper understanding of what an a series is capable of.

You talk rubbish. D series is a great engine.

I talk rubbish? I am sorry but do you actually drive one everyday? How many miles have you put in one? Anyone who is into honda or even knows the the basic will tell you straight up d series are crap, compare to k or b series. I am actually interested in seeing those 200hp a series specially with stock rods maybe the crank can handle but I be worry of the rods, you forgot to mention are they using stock piston,camshaft, clutch? Again i will state what I said, more then 200 hp can be put true a stock hayabusa, not a single part need to be touch internally.

Edited by Mini-dude, 10 March 2018 - 08:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users