#16 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

I have 4 wipac spots and 2 ring microline lights on mine and they are probably a bit over kill :-

All running legal bulbs.

a bit over kill?
in your picture in your signature are they all on dimmed. and do you have it set up to the standard light system or does it have its own dim and full beam?
i dont even know what they do im sooo confused ahaha

#17 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

The extra weight of the painted engine and power consumption of the lights isn’t going to help with the fuel consumption.

#18 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

I have 4 wipac spots and 2 ring microline lights on mine and they are probably a bit over kill :-

All running legal bulbs.

a bit over kill?
in your picture in your signature are they all on dimmed. and do you have it set up to the standard light system or does it have its own dim and full beam?
i dont even know what they do im sooo confused ahaha

They are on full, just the way i took the photo so it didnt dazzle the picture.

The lights are wired in pairs, useing relays off the original wired feed for the main beam.
They only come on with main beam.

I just got a bit carried away and had some cash lieing about :(

I wont have them all when i switch to a fibreglass front. might just have 2 KC long range lamps recessed into the grill instead, and the in roughly the same place.

#19 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

with light that big, you should wire them up so that they are on a separate switch. You must however wire them up so that they can only be switched on when main beam is on or you'll fail your mot.

#20 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

The extra weight of the painted engine and power consumption of the lights isn’t going to help with the fuel consumption.

neither of those things has anything to do with it.

#21 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

with light that big, you should wire them up so that they are on a separate switch. You must however wire them up so that they can only be switched on when main beam is on or you'll fail your mot.

No you wont.

The switches must have a tell tail (like the blue light on the dash which comes on with the main beam) Doesn't have to actually be wired to the main beam switch.

Either way, i doubt any MOT tester would even check them properly, mine have never been tested or even looked at.

#22 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

you don't need the switches... I just recommend them with those big lights, but the aux lights should only come on with main beam.

if you do fit a switch, you actually don't need a telltale as there is a big blue light on the dash for that.

FOG lights are different. they can come on with sidelights and DO need a separate switch with telltale.

Edited by pikey7, 17 December 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#23 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Mine are all switched and connected to main beam, to be honest, i dont even remember how i did it :- but it works.

Pikey, how do you know so much, do you work for VOSA?

Edited by Burnard, 17 December 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#24 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

nope. i just read a lot to make sure when i write stuff that i'm not far off being wrong :(

I also work as a car designer so need to know this stuff :-

#25 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:31 PM

They kind of do, what do you think will power the lights? The car runs off the alternator, which is driven off the engine. If the alternator is working harder to power extra stuff like lights etc, it will use more power off the engine, witch in turn will use more fuel….

#26 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

They kind of do, what do you think will power the lights? The car runs off the alternator, which is driven off the engine. If the alternator is working harder to power extra stuff like lights etc, it will use more power off the engine, witch in turn will use more fuel….

Although i agree entirely with what your saying.

The OP was complaing about MPG on the motorway, the lights wont be being used on the motorway.
However the extra weight will lower the MPG, but not by much

#27 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

the drag will affect it at higher speeds more than the extra weight.

you'd better hope your alternator is in good nick too. It's a lot of current that will be needed.

Karl is right that consumption will be worse with the lights, but without a doubt the biggest factor is the extra weight of the paint on the engine :( Unless it's red of course, in which case it'll be more powerful and do 400mpg. :-

#28 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

Although i agree entirely with what your saying.

The OP was complaing about MPG on the motorway, the lights wont be being used on the motorway.
However the extra weight will lower the MPG, but not by much

oh ok aha! there hardly going to use anything though i wouldnt of thought

#29 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

you don't need the switches... I just recommend them with those big lights, but the aux lights should only come on with main beam.

if you do fit a switch, you actually don't need a telltale as there is a big blue light on the dash for that.

FOG lights are different. they can come on with sidelights and DO need a separate switch with telltale.

so are the spot lights like dimmed, normal, or full beam?

thanks again

#30 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

Mine are all switched and connected to main beam, to be honest, i dont even remember how i did it :- but it works.

Pikey, how do you know so much, do you work for VOSA?

ah i see aha!

i thought that aswell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users