BlueminiJohn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

I'm currently building my Volvo z cars kit.
I'm not great with wiring however, and it's got to the point where I need a loom.
I know z cars can make up the wiring looms, but does anyone know of any others who are good at this sort of thing.

I just want to look around a bit, and get a few different prices if possible.

Thanks, John

#2 vtecmini2

vtecmini2

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi John, i loook at the z cars wiring loom for the car (I have the one for the vtec engine and ecu). i was quoted about £400, so i decided to make my own so far its cost me £170 which includes all the wiring, the water proof connections, the braide selve, and a fuse/relay box in kit form. which it not to bad, but you need to know a little about wiring

thanks
john

Hi,

I'm currently building my Volvo z cars kit.
I'm not great with wiring however, and it's got to the point where I need a loom.
I know z cars can make up the wiring looms, but does anyone know of any others who are good at this sort of thing.

I just want to look around a bit, and get a few different prices if possible.

Thanks, John

#3 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hi John,

Just about to start a Volvo build myself, kit arrives next week. I went for the ZCars wiring loom and the power up kit as it already has all the right connectors and cables needed so hopefully should make the job a fair bit easier especially on the engine side. I didnt want to use any of the original Mini wiring at all.
I had originally thought about making one up myself and if you go that route I would definately consider using one of these: wiring module

Has all the correct fuses and relays in already you just need to run the right cables from switches and electrics to the module. Although I didnt price it all up at £100 for the module Im not sure how much cheaper it would end up than the Zcars kit.

Hope that helps.

Edited by benmoffat, 19 December 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#4 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

Heres what I found when using the Zcars loom:

1) There was not a proper circuit diagram (there were written instructions telling what wire went where, this may be better for someone that doesnt know how to read circuit diagrams, however it leaves you with limited information about the relay board itself and which of the spare connections can be used for what other function)
2) I had to cut off every connector as when you buy a loom it doesnt come with matching connectors. Therefore factor in either buying the matching connectors (not the best + not water proof) or factor in buying new waterproof connectors where waterproofing is required.
3) If you mount the fuseboard centrally as I did mine you will have to extend the loom or have long connections to the rear of the car.
4) I found that there werent enough wires in the original loom to facilitate all the electrical requirements of my particular car. In a basic setup/race environment I can imagine it works just fine.

I learnt a hell of a lot when doing my electrics and if I had the benefit of hindsight at the time of ordering I would have made my own loom from scratch (even the relay/fuse board).

If your going to go the route of doing it yourself I advise using decent connectors and where you know you wont need to break the connection use solder butts (IEM-services.co.uk sell them, they have a lot of stuff you will need for the project)

I shat myself when I started trying to work out how the hell to do the electrics but once you get into it it really isnt too difficult, its more the fear of the unknown. If you do your own wiring it will make fault finding and future additions/modifications much easier, whether you use the Zcars loom or not.

#5 t66

t66

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

I am about to start wiring my little Fiat Blackbird, and premier looms are worth a look, mostly cater for kit cars but happy to build bespoke looms.

May end up building my own loom, or if anyone suggests a decent alternative Im all ears.

#6 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

If you've got the patience, build your own.

#7 t66

t66

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

I think your right....

#8 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

May I recommend if you do decide to make your own that you make sure you have get every last switch and piece of electrical equipment that you intend to connect to and then when your think you've got everything leave yourself some more live feeds that you can tap into as it is inevitable that you will either have forgotten something or need to add something.

Get all your switches & electrical equipment mounted before beginning to run your wires then when you do run them leave long tails so as not to leave yourself having to pull the wires tight to get them to meet the connectors.

Dont skimp on your connectors and make sure they are able to handle the load you want to put through them, the little water proof connectors are good things like rear light clusters where the draw is not too much (especially with LEDs) but I defo wouldnt use them for things like removable/extra spotlights, too much current flowing through them.

Relays are wonderful things but you can get carried away with them, plan out exactly what you want them to do and see of you can reduce the number.

You can get the pre-made fuse/relay boards which will be a big help in the beginning as they will give advice as to what fuses are required for which circuit which in turn will let you know what size wire to use.

All the information you will need is out there you just need to hunt it down, compile it all together, cross reference it to amke sure they all say the same thing then go ahead and use it.

Regarding tools, dont use cheap sh!t, CK are a good make for electrical stuff, get some good wire strippers eg: CK wires strippers and ratchet type crimps for insulated connectors, if your going to use the water proof connectors you'll need a set for non insulated connectors. Side snips are a must, as I said in an earlier post solder butts are brilliant and you only need a heat gun to use them, which if your gonna dynamat stuff you'll already have a heat gun, plus their fairly cheap.

@T66 - I hope this doesnt appear like I am trying to teach you how to suck eggs, I figured if I get it out there for the masses someone might find it useful.....

#9 rustandoil

rustandoil

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

One of the first things I did when I started the wiring on my Hayabusa powered van, was to sit down with a photocopy of the Mini wiring diagram from the Haynes manual and "tippex" out all the stuff not required, it was surprising how little was left!
I am making a partial new loom using using a stripped out version of the Mini loom as a basis for the "car side" of things using new wire and connectors where necessary, I am not using any fancy connectors if I can help it, lets face it those bullet connectors on Minis may be old fashioned but they have stood the test of time! I am hoping that all the connectors for the front lights will fit inside the headlight bowls themselves, should be tidy if they do, we will see.
There are no relays on a standard Mini and I doubt I will be adding any except for the heated front screen.
I have made a very simple power distribution set up which is nothing more than a couple of bolts mounted on a insulated block, one will be "live all the time" (fuse protected) and the other will be "live with ignition" I have junked the standard Mini 4 way fuse box and located a 8 way blade type fuse box inside on the dash shelf passenger side, this will be mounted on a hinge down panel for access under the dash (seen the idea on here credit due to the poster)
I will use the Suzuki loom (converted by Z-cars) to deal with the "engine side" of things and this requires relatively few connections.
Well that's my plan up to now, I have at present not given too much thought to instruments etc, so I may well end up chucking it all in the bin ................

All the above is of no consequence to you chaps using car engines :D

PS all my wire and connectors have come from Vehicle Wiring Products

#10 t66

t66

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Points noted Kirk, I am a wiring virgin so have my head in my books again, this time its wiring. so its yes to spare wire runs in the loom, and good point with the switchgear. My dash will have a Koso RX1, plus oil pressure gauge, lambda, boost, water temp, fuel.

On the tools front, I recently went and bought new strippers, side cutters, my crimper is a decent one anyway.

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users