25 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

I recently imported a complete '95 SPI engine (inc wiring looms, ECU and tank) from the UK and plan to install in a '77 Clubman.

It seems that while in transit the distributor drive has gone missing from its installed position in the engine. As the distributor was packaged separately, I am guessing there is a way that the drive spindle could have either fallen out or in.

Can anyone tell me please whether there is any possibility the drive spindle has fallen in? If so, would I be right in thinking that the only way to retrieve it is to remove the gearbox.

Obviously, If I don't find it in the gearbox I will be looking fo a replacement. Please let me know if you have a spare and what price you want for it.

Cheer,
Steve

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

On an A-series engine it is indeed easy to drop the dizzy drive shaft down into the gearbox. I guess it could happen on an A+ as well.
I hope you find it OK. To install a shaft, get a very long bolt with a 5/16" unf thread and screw that into the threaded hole in the top of the dizzy drive. That way it'll not be possible for it to fall right in and it's easy to line it up in the correct alignment (see workshop manual).

#3 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

I'd see if you can borrow a borescope to have a look inside the box. You'll need to drain the oil first.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

Even if you do find it in the gearbox, it'll be near impossible to get out.... As cooperman has pointed out, on an A series it's VERY easy for the dizzy drive to drop into the box until the plug/sleeve is installed, A+, a little more difficult.

Easiest and quickest is to pull the engine and separate the block / transmission.

#5 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

What about removing the speedo drive casing and looking from that end?

#6 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

I think that you will find it's actually impossible to drop an A+ dizzy drive in to the engine, you may be able to do it with the camshaft removed

#7 Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

Oh well, I had no luck finding the missing distributor drive spindle in the gearbox. It was a shame having to remove the engine and dismantle it for no reason in the end.

I had purchased the engine off eBay from Car Transplants located just outside Nantwich on the A51 Chester Road in Cheshire, UK. I am waiting to hear from them about what happened to the spindle that should have been with the engine when it was shipped to me (Perth, Australia).

Anyone know whether Car Transplants have a good reputation? I am hoping they will make good. If not, I will need to purchase a replacement spindle.

If you have one in good condition that you can sell me, please send an email to [email protected]. I also need the top and bottom engine steadies as these were missing from the engine too.

Many thanks,
Steve

#8 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

I think that you will find it's actually impossible to drop an A+ dizzy drive in to the engine, you may be able to do it with the camshaft removed

No, Ive known A+ to fall in.

#9 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

in a 1275 or 998 ? I tried 17x 1275 blocks and couldn't even get close to "dropping" a shaft....

#10 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

My own 1380, luckily I hadnt fitted the box yet and another that had converted to management, removed the dizzy but not the shaft and it fell in while running

#11 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Where they both A+ blocks ?

#12 Paul Wiginton

Paul Wiginton

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

Yes

#13 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

As mentioned above - you only had to take the speedo drive end off the gearbox to look inside. But - now you have the unit in bits a good chance to inspect what you have before you install it. I think I would have asked about the supplier BEFORE sending the money........

Edited by bmcecosse, 03 January 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#14 Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

I just want to finish this topic with a broadcast of a very big thankyou to forum member "samsfern" who is supplying the needed part. Cheers to all.

#15 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

My own 1380, luckily I hadnt fitted the box yet and another that had converted to management, removed the dizzy but not the shaft and it fell in while running

After some extensive research I can conclude that it is impossible for the A+ distributor drive shaft to fall out of it's own accord..... ie it would need asistance such as a crank shaft spinning around and hitting it.

The A series on the other hand will easiily fall into the gearbox or sump (inline models)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users