#16 danny1

danny1

In the navy you can sail 7 peas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

May be worth contacting Minisprint if it's a minus you want. He had a new shell on ebay that I don't think sold. Also had a v5 for a minus to go with it.

thanks ill have a word and see what hes got

#17 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

no i hate gtm's

a friends of mine had one there a horrible design, and to do anythign to the engine the whole back end had to be removed, not a chance i want one of those

That would have been a Rossa then. Fibreglass monocoque so it has to be a lot bulkier and less room around the engine. Coupe is a lot easier to work on but I suppose with any mid-engined car it's easier to drop the engine and rear subframe for big jobs but then the same goes for a Mini, it's not impossible to do the bigger stuff with it in the car but it's so easy to drop the lump out that it's not worth mucking around.

Lotus seemed to think the Coupe was a good idea because apart from the tub being ally rather than steel you could be forgiven for thinking they decided to get their own back on the kit-car industry for copying the seven by copying a kit-car with the Elise. Rover were first though with the MGF - it's rumored that they bought a GTM to see how to do it.

Your loss if you discount them out-of-hand. Mine is the best designed kit-car I've had (and I've had a few). The build quality is down to whoever originally built it (so with the one I'm selling that will be down to whoever buys it) but the Coupe just has that production car "feel" to it that most other kits don't.

The one I'm keeping is getting a Nissan 16v lump and a 5-speed box to make it a bit more comfortable on a long run (and for a bit of a power hike). I think the A-Series gearbox lets it down - it's just wearing at cruising speeds with the engine revving it's nuts off. That said I have driven it from St Bees to Robin Hoods bay and then back to Darwen (West coast to East coast and then nearly all the way back again) in one day.

Iain

#18 danny1

danny1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

no i hate gtm's

a friends of mine had one there a horrible design, and to do anythign to the engine the whole back end had to be removed, not a chance i want one of those

That would have been a Rossa then. Fibreglass monocoque so it has to be a lot bulkier and less room around the engine. Coupe is a lot easier to work on but I suppose with any mid-engined car it's easier to drop the engine and rear subframe for big jobs but then the same goes for a Mini, it's not impossible to do the bigger stuff with it in the car but it's so easy to drop the lump out that it's not worth mucking around.

Lotus seemed to think the Coupe was a good idea because apart from the tub being ally rather than steel you could be forgiven for thinking they decided to get their own back on the kit-car industry for copying the seven by copying a kit-car with the Elise. Rover were first though with the MGF - it's rumored that they bought a GTM to see how to do it.

Your loss if you discount them out-of-hand. Mine is the best designed kit-car I've had (and I've had a few). The build quality is down to whoever originally built it (so with the one I'm selling that will be down to whoever buys it) but the Coupe just has that production car "feel" to it that most other kits don't.

The one I'm keeping is getting a Nissan 16v lump and a 5-speed box to make it a bit more comfortable on a long run (and for a bit of a power hike). I think the A-Series gearbox lets it down - it's just wearing at cruising speeds with the engine revving it's nuts off. That said I have driven it from St Bees to Robin Hoods bay and then back to Darwen (West coast to East coast and then nearly all the way back again) in one day.

Iain

ahh i didnt know this as its the only one ive worked on, i gathered there was just the one type of the gtm, when ever work was carried out on the car it was because his shoddy engine work had always gone wrong which resulted in it having to be removed, but i just found it a pain staking and annoying job to do, compared to removing an a series lump from a mini which is do able in about 40 mins.

but i think its all down to personel prefferance and body shape for people,
ive seen some nice gtm's they just dont float my boat and i wouldnt want one

#19 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

There are 2 GTM's that use the Mini as the main donor - the Coupe and the Rossa.

Then there are the K3, Libra and Spyder which use the Rover Metro. By the time the Spyder came along though you could use either Metro parts or for most of those parts you could buy upgraded new items for things like hubs and whatnot and build a car from completely new parts with no donor vehicle involved.

There are variations within the models and obviously being a kit-car no two are the same even if the package that two owners bought from the factory were identical.

GTM are now owed by Potenza Sportscars who also own Westfield and they are both made in the same factory.

Iain

#20 danny1

danny1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

any one else know of anything that might be lerking about?

#21 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hey, just spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item20b63a6177

could be a good project?

#22 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hey, just spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item20b63a6177

could be a good project?

Nice! :D

Its a Mk1 which are rarer than the other models, but with the later front bumper with the lights built into them, rather than hanging underneath. Good Project, if only I hadnt got a Mini , and a Midas that could do with a respray for its 30th birthday lol ;)

#23 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

spotted this the other day.... was considering it myself as a spares for my GTM, but already out of my budget....

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#24 danny1

danny1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

cheers guys.

with my new engine build just starting and going well, i got offered a 1978 mini clubman at a silly price that i couldnt say no to as it came with a 12 month ticket.

and is in a really good shape. also have all the serive history from when it was bought, and the original clubman hand book it was given at the factory.

so looks liek a minus or marcos will have to wait.

cheers though guys for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users