BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Going to paint my car this year, first time doing a car ;D
done a few bits and pieces with a rattle can
and am confident etc.

got the good equipment too as an old work mate that used to Custom Paint bikes has given up after 5 odd years lol
So good gun, compressor and a few HOK paints

so i was pretty set on
1) Self etch primer
2) High Build primer
then
3) 2k colour
4) 2k laquer

all good get the result i want and would look great

planning on doing it in a garage with plastic sheets up and an extractor fan

Mask wise i think ive got an expensive 3M carbon one which was used by the painter before
just had new filters put in

no-one mentioned to me the word "isocyante" to me
and having just read up on it im wondering whether to go to celly!
heres the thread i was refering too Click me!

I want to know whether:
1) Ill get just as nice shine with celly
because i think the 3 stage paint looks ALOT nicer
or am i wrong? comparison pics anywere?

2) whether im just being a puss and its easy to set up an air-fed mask thing
i've got access to another compressor? and how much is the extra equipment?

and either way ill be in a big white suit, gloves the lot

should i paint outside and use a gazeebo type set-up?
maybe leave the roof off?

any comments well be pretty useful lol!

#2 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

it may help if i show you the company im dealing with
Here they are

#3 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Also advise these masks?
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item518e9958a4

looks promising but nervous!

#4 new_zealand _minis

new_zealand _minis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local Club: wellington new zealand

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

yea that is nasty stuff . use it tho its real mint . what i say if it is really bad for you and is full of chemicles . it wont fall off the car . none of this organic stuff

#5 minimartin1

minimartin1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

I painted cars for 6 years and we very rarely used air fed masks. Or even mask at all but when we did we just used a 3m filter mask.
It really won't kill you just spraying your car once using it As you will only be in there 15min at a time putting one coat on then leaving it half hour before next coat.

Can I ask where you got solvent based paint from as it's illegal to buy now as all basecoat should be waterbased but If there is still 2k basecoat available I want some lol

#6 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

I painted cars for 6 years and we very rarely used air fed masks. Or even mask at all but when we did we just used a 3m filter mask.
It really won't kill you just spraying your car once using it As you will only be in there 15min at a time putting one coat on then leaving it half hour before next coat.

Can I ask where you got solvent based paint from as it's illegal to buy now as all basecoat should be waterbased but If there is still 2k basecoat available I want some lol

Bad advice, I once sprayed a fiesta bonnet without a mask, I did it by accident. I was coughing and sneezing radient red all week.

2k is nasty smelly stuff and an air fed mask is recommended for a reason. From previous discussions on this subject, there is no filter mask that is really suitable. Also the reaction to it will vary from person to person

Celly can be sprayed using a filter mask

#7 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Bad advice, I once sprayed a fiesta bonnet without a mask, I did it by accident. I was coughing and sneezing radient red all week.

2k is nasty smelly stuff and an air fed mask is recommended for a reason. From previous discussions on this subject, there is no filter mask that is really suitable. Also the reaction to it will vary from person to person

Celly can be sprayed using a filter mask

Ok so the Gerson filter mask wont work?
It says
Field tested with isocyanates (B1 classification) for a maximum of 36 hours, this mask offers the user maximum protection without the need for air fed breathing equipment
is not strictly true?

and if so were do i buy an inline airfed breathing equipment?
can you use any compressor? Lol!

what do DIY painters use to paint 2K :D as obviously a booth etc would be best!

should i paint outside and use a gazeebo type set-up?
maybe leave the roof off?

and you buy 2k from ebay lol!

#8 minimartin1

minimartin1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

air fed masks are expensive but any bodyshop automotive dealer will be able to get hold of one.
i know its bad advice but its true it wont harm him to spray in a garage for a day i did it for 6 years and am fine. yes your bogeys wil b the colour of the paint lol but aslong as your not doing it day in day out you will be fine
plenty of back street garages do it.
as for the mask if it says its rated for icosyanate or how ever you spell it then it will be. they are good masks.
i wouldnt recomend doing it outside for the point of wind and most of your paint will be blown away over everyones windows on there house rather than your car.

#9 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

agree with my mate shifty.
celly paint is not illegal for the home diyer.
each person reacts different to 2k paint, it is against h&s for bodyshops to use it with out a air fed mask for a reason, i worked in a small bodyshop that used 2k and they use to paint after i went home at night and next morning i use to cough my guts up when i went into the garage, i have lost a good few painter friends with cancer after when 2k first came out they did not use airfed masks.

celly paint is very good for the first time user and you dont need a airfed mask, if you do use 2k use a airfed mask, you will need a compressor that is not in the same area as you are painting because it will draw the paint into the mask.
also painting 2k outdoors could bring the enviro people down on you if reported.

#10 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

hi i recommend a 3m mask we used 1 when spraying my car you couldnt smell a thing and to be honist i wouldnt bother with 2k laquer 2k is fantastic as finishes shiney anyway it wont make any difference really. and make sure the neighbours are out the overspray will go everywhere and the smell well aha not nice.

good luck

#11 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

hi i recommend a 3m mask we used 1 when spraying my car you couldnt smell a thing and to be honist i wouldnt bother with 2k laquer 2k is fantastic as finishes shiney anyway it wont make any difference really. and make sure the neighbours are out the overspray will go everywhere and the smell well aha not nice.

if it is 2k clear over base you will have to use a laquer.

#12 WRLondon

WRLondon

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

hmm still abit nervous
josh, just looked at your project thread and its being painted in a gazeebo
and how did ventilation work?
Posted Image

did you leave that bit open?