Photo

Looking To Launch A Blow Through Supercharger Kit

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Gauging demand for a blow through kit (134 member(s) have cast votes)

If the option of a blow through or suck through supercarger kit was available, which one would you choose?

1. Suck through Kit (17 votes [12.69%])

Percentage of vote: 12.69%

2. Blow through kit (117 votes [87.31%])

Percentage of vote: 87.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi all

We are looking at releasing a blow through kit for carb and SPI minis ( not sure on MPI just yet) and looking for a little feed back and views from people either looking to supercharge their mini or just curious about how the kit will work.

We have booked a stand at Bingley this month and will have the car on display. We are hoping to have prices available by then and be on hand to answer any queries potential customers may have and possibly start it up a few times for people to see and hear it running (if allowed).

From this poll, we are looking for people to give reasons why they would choose one kit over the other so we can try and match typical demand, but will also sell parts of the kit separately for those that may have already collected parts over time.

For anyone curious about what the kit looks like, the car is being featured in Mini Magazine this month (out on 14th Jan) and might give an idea of what to expect before the show on 30th Jan.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Verbaliser

Verbaliser

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Dont really know enough about blow through so i would choose suck through - sorry

I suppose if I was in the market for a blow through kit I would want some detailed information on your website like a FAQs section - fuel consumption, comparison with suck through and turbo in terms of power, reliability, boost potential etc, and I would suggest making a real effort to provide some really good instructions for people to be able to fit the kit themselves.

As with some other kits the build quality isn't that great and the kits really aren't 'everything you would need'. It goes without saying that the quality of the components needs to be excellent, a comparable price, and as you've already said - it would be a good idea to sell the individual components.

In summary, I'd like to see good information/instructions, quality parts and realistic pricing, and of course good after sales support because there will be snags...

Good to see some entrepreneurial spirit in these dark times!

Dave

#3 jameswildcooper

jameswildcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

ive already had a suck through system so id have to say blow through for a change and to acheive more power :)

#4 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Just in the process at starting a blowthrough system on Minx's mini.

What sort of bits will be in the kit?

#5 TopCatCustom

TopCatCustom

Previously known as C4NN0N.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

If you are developing them from scratch why not build one of each and rolling road both, drive both and show comparisons, then rather than ask what people want (who probably won't have a real reason for either) you can tell them which is better, with facts to back you up!

#6 roofchoplofty

roofchoplofty

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Great idea, wish you the best of luck.

Ive had a suck through supercharger conversion and had nowt but hassle with the thing, however it hasnt put me off and so now looking at the blowthru version with interest, i still have bits and pieces left from the old kit ect so would be interested in what parts are availible and cost. Hopefully see you at bingley too pick yer brains.

Cheers

Heat issues are a big thing with suck thru, is this reduced with the blow thru?
Also fuel economy figures ( not that im too bothered ), if its that much fun you dont mind sticking the extra pennies in the tank.

#7 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

Im looking to supercharge over the summer and would much rather have a blowthrough kit.

#8 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

If you are developing them from scratch why not build one of each and rolling road both, drive both and show comparisons, then rather than ask what people want (who probably won't have a real reason for either) you can tell them which is better, with facts to back you up!

I do have a good comparison that can be used as the car was first setup with a weber suck through and run on the same rollers that has been used to develop the blow through.

#9 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Good luck :)

#10 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

Also if i remember correctly, its not a half arsed attempt as suckthrough, he made big power compared to the normal suck through charget setups. If i remember correctly!

#11 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Ive had a suck through supercharger conversion and had nowt but hassle with the thing, however it hasnt put me off and so now looking at the blowthru version with interest, i still have bits and pieces left from the old kit ect so would be interested in what parts are availible and cost. Hopefully see you at bingley too pick yer brains.

Cheers

Also fuel economy figures ( not that im too bothered ), if its that much fun you dont mind sticking the extra pennies in the tank.

The heat difference between the suck through and blow through is massive. After a run in the suck through, the charger was red hot, you couldnt touch it. The blow through just about stays cold. I know that where the blower is on suck throughs isnt great as its going to also retain heat from the manifold. I guess another plus point with a blow through is the charger is at the front of the enginge and will get a good cold air feed. Also the ability of being able to run with an intercooler will help cool what heat does come from the blow through charger and if needed, give the ability of running higher boost and reduce det.

#12 sx_turbo

sx_turbo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

suck through superchargers cant produce as much power.

intercoolers cant be used with suck through chargers,

suck through chargers are *******s to get started

plus point of suck through chargers is the carb dont suffer from heat soak lol

also suck through chargers gives you somewhere to put the charger,

#13 johnnysti

johnnysti

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

For those that have asked (and an oversight from me) the kit will be using the Eaton M45 super charger. We are also looking to develop another blow through setup and will be hoping to offer a Rotrex kit as an option. This is still in the early stages of development so initially the Eaton kit will be the first one released.

Hope this helps

#14 1275GTS

1275GTS

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Local Club: bmc

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

I would be very interested. Hope it works out.

#15 Grahamxx

Grahamxx

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Cheers

The heat difference between the suck through and blow through is massive. After a run in the suck through, the charger was red hot, you couldnt touch it. The blow through just about stays cold. I know that where the blower is on suck throughs isnt great as its going to also retain heat from the manifold. I guess another plus point with a blow through is the charger is at the front of the enginge and will get a good cold air feed. Also the ability of being able to run with an intercooler will help cool what heat does come from the blow through charger and if needed, give the ability of running higher boost and reduce det.

The setup you have is by far the best, if you want to run higher boost i.e. the use of an intercooler smaller pulley extra. On my setup the charger doesn't get that hot due to the fuelling being rich, this helps keep things cool. However I'm going to fit a SPA boost/Air temp gauge soon to see what the temps actually are relative to the boost being used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users