mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

BMW%20Mini%20Book_zps0m9jf5to.jpg

"The R-Series BMW MINI had a lot to live up to. Launched in 2001, it was riding in the wake of the classic 1959-2000 Mini. At the time, BMW (and Rover) were going to have to create something as special and innovative as its longstanding predecessor in order to silence the naysayers.

And they did. Since its launch in 2001, BMW's modern MINI has become the pinnacle of small yet funky family cars in the premium small (and sometimes not so small) car segment. Now in its third generation, having unveiled the new F-Series in 2014, BMW MINI offers 3- and 5-door hatchback models and convertibles, the estate Clubman, the five-door Countryman, the Coupe, the Roadster and the three-door crossover Paceman. MINI enthusiast and motoring journalist Sophie Williamson-Stothert explores the journey from 1959 to the present day, covering design and development of the new MINI, launch and reception by the press, its many model variations and special editions, and an owner's and buyer's guide."

The book dedicates the first 50 of its 128 pages to the original classic Mini before moving on to development of the New MINI and how BMW eventually took over the final development and launch from Rover and swapped the new MINI production line from Longbridge to the Cowley Oxford plant.........

http://www.crowood.c...n=9781785001437

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=141998611429

Edited by mab01uk, 14 July 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#902 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:36 AM

MINI DOOR HINGES - cosmetic hinges for new MINI for the retro look :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2056016.l4276

MINI-Hinges_zpsfoalnlbb.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 18 August 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#903 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

R50 MINI Midland 5-speed to R53 Getrag 6-speed gearbox swap:-

Fixing the Weak Link - PDF

https://web.archive....theWeakLink.pdf

#904 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

Ha come on please post them hinges in the normal mini chat section :-)

#905 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Ha come on please post them hinges in the normal mini chat section :-)

I'm not that brave..... :lol:

Even TotalMINI are not keen on them....

http://www.totalmini...retro-look.html

#906 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

:-D

#907 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

However the R52 MINI Convertible did have 'real' external hinges on the boot lid..... :-)

s-l500_zpsqwjj0cfw.jpg

#908 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

Oh yeah it did didn't it.

#909 Mike L

Mike L

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Do not like to see one wearing Gulf Porche colours!

Gulf Porsche colors? You mean Gulf Racing colors. Many different cars have worn those colors not just Porsche.

#910 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

AROnline Blog : Y-reg MINIs – gotta catch ’em all!

"The R50- and onwards-generation of MINI rather neatly dovetails AROnline in many ways. It appeared in 2001, started out with good intentions, and has grown beyond all recognition from the original idea. Well, something like that. That maybe why I now seem to have two very early MINIs in my possession right now.

Spurred on by the creation of the MINI Y REGister, and my love of all things early (when it comes to cars), I thought it might be nice to grab one of the original cars, and enjoy it for a bit. There’s other good reasons for this, too – thanks to the launch of the F56-generation MINI, these early cars are looking particularly appealing."

Why? Because there’s no escaping that the F56 is a bit of a munter. Yes, it’s great to drive (like any small BMW), and has some very innovative engineering, but its looks really don’t do it any favours. And, yet, because the 2001 car is now visually quite separated from the current car, its now in the realms of the sub-£1000 category, after taking quite a drop in 2015-16.

14666105_10154064254649716_5040642788957

The Cooper I grabbed, Y702 MDF, came in at that price point, and although it’s grubby and has a missing parcel shelf, there’s still plenty of life left in it. Driving it back from deepest Berkshire last week, it was hard not to fall for its quick steering and playful handling – just as I remembered the first Cooper I drove to the Nurburgring in 2006…

More here:

http://www.aronline....gotta-catch-em/

Edited by mab01uk, 16 October 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#911 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:18 PM

Plug-in hybrid MINI nears production

The first plug-in hybrid MINI is readying for launch, with development almost completed. The 1.5-litre power unit works in parallel with an electric motor, which enables purely electric propulsion for the first time in a MINI.

MINI is promising that the car will be fun to drive, retaining the existing car’s ‘go kart’ feel. There are few outward differences, but inside the start/stop button in the centre of the dashboard glows yellow instead of red. The tachometer has been replaced with a power display, which informs the driver about the electric motor’s power reserves before the petrol engine fires up. When exactly the combustion engine starts varies depending upon on the vehicle’s speed and how hard the driver presses the accelerator.

It’s a high-capacity hybrid, and MINI promises that this one maintains its zero-tailpipe emissions at motorway speeds. The high-voltage battery under the rear seats provides power for long-lasting electric driving. AUTO eDRIVE standard mode permits speeds of up to 50mph, and in MAX eDRIVE mode speeds of up to 78 mph are possible.

Peter Wolf, MINI’s brand manager reckons it still drives as a MINI should; ‘As far as the chassis and suspension are concerned, nothing changes from the conventionally driven model variants,’ he says. ‘Thanks to the eDrive components, which are positioned very low down at the rear, the car’s centre of gravity is lowered and the weight is evenly balanced between the front and rear axle – ideal for achieving an even higher level of agility.’

http://www.aronline....ars-production/

Edited by mab01uk, 18 October 2016 - 11:18 PM.

#912 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Plug-in hybrid MINI nears production
The first plug-in hybrid MINI is readying for launch, with development almost completed. The 1.5-litre power unit works in parallel with an electric motor, which enables purely electric propulsion for the first time in a MINI.
MINI is promising that the car will be fun to drive, retaining the existing cars go kart feel. There are few outward differences, but inside the start/stop button in the centre of the dashboard glows yellow instead of red. The tachometer has been replaced with a power display, which informs the driver about the electric motors power reserves before the petrol engine fires up. When exactly the combustion engine starts varies depending upon on the vehicles speed and how hard the driver presses the accelerator.
Its a high-capacity hybrid, and MINI promises that this one maintains its zero-tailpipe emissions at motorway speeds. The high-voltage battery under the rear seats provides power for long-lasting electric driving. AUTO eDRIVE standard mode permits speeds of up to 50mph, and in MAX eDRIVE mode speeds of up to 78 mph are possible.
Peter Wolf, MINIs brand manager reckons it still drives as a MINI should; As far as the chassis and suspension are concerned, nothing changes from the conventionally driven model variants, he says. Thanks to the eDrive components, which are positioned very low down at the rear, the cars centre of gravity is lowered and the weight is evenly balanced between the front and rear axle ideal for achieving an even higher level of agility.
http://www.aronline....ars-production/

Tempted to get one of those hybrid countrymans. I've had 3 Cooper SD over the past few years. My commute mileage has dropped significantly so can drive to work on electric only. Plus it's big enough to fits the kids in at weekends.
My Dad has the new X1 and I think both are based on same platform and that much more room inside compared to old X1. So bodes well for the new Countryman.

#913 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

I miss this thing so much :(

20150930_141602.jpg

And as it left my ownership with the full GP bodykit that cost more than the car :lol:

IMG_20160927_205315.jpg

Edited by megamini_jb, 02 November 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#914 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:41 PM

I miss this thing so much :(

20150930_141602.jpg

And as it left my ownership with the full GP bodykit that cost more than the car :lol:

IMG_20160927_205315.jpg

Cool, didnt even know you could buy the GP kit.

Where did you get it from?

Edited by JamesC, 02 November 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#915 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

Yep, but you need a proper GP vin number, asked on MiniTorque forum and they were more than happy to help. The bumper, skirts and rear trim all genuine, but the wing was a carbon Orranje one.

I really want another R50, but I'd want the kit again and I cannot afford to do that. So rare to find them for sale privately too :(

Edited by megamini_jb, 03 November 2016 - 07:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users